Product Reviews

Subject
Topic: Garmin Sonar with Chirp technology
Greenstreak
BoatUS Member
BoatUS Member
Posted: 15 May 2016 at 8:38pm | IP Logged
Anybody out there using the new GPS/Sonar units supporting chirp with DownVu and SideVu modes? Could use some helpful advice. I upgraded to the Garmin 741xs so I would get this feature, but I find out it doesn't really do what garmin is advertising. The downVu mode seems to work okay, but the sideVu is a different story. I am suppose to see objects, structures and fish up to 500' from both sides of boat. I don't see most objects or structures and definitely no fish in the sideVu mode. That was the 'main reason I spent an extra $1100 to get the sideVu mode. I have been talking to a tech for a month and he tells me that it would be hard to see fish because of the high frequency of the sonar and it would just pass through the fish and not send back a hard return. That is not what they advertise. I am totally disappointed with this Garmin setup.I had the 740s with the traditional sonar and worked just fine.

thanks

art

Edited by Greenstreak on 15 May 2016 at 8:41pm

Floatin' Good Times
Monterey 265 sel
One More
BoatUS Member
BoatUS Member
Posted: 15 May 2016 at 9:09pm | IP Logged
How long have you had the unit? That's some pretty serious money you laid out. If it doesn't do what it is advertised to do and their tech support agrees with you: return it for a full refund, work a deal with them to get the less featured one with a refund on the difference, or if paid by credit card file a dispute with the credit card bank.
Audrey II
BoatUS Member
BoatUS Member
Posted: 16 May 2016 at 8:28am | IP Logged
He has had over a month and likely the transducers are would drilled into the hull, removing may not be an option.

This is really surprising from a Garmin product I would try reaching out to the sales department and work you way out the chain there and see what they can do for you. Where did you buy the unit maybe they can get involved and help find a solution.

96' 440 Trojan express

Dave
Greenstreak
BoatUS Member
BoatUS Member
Posted: 16 May 2016 at 1:37pm | IP Logged
Hey Guys, I have had the Garmin Setup for 4 months now. I had the 740s that was only 6 months old. Just hadn't used the DownVu & SideVu feature on the new 741xs yet. I just now decided to mess with it some, when I found out I am not seeing the fish like Garmin advertises. The way they advertise the unit is that i would be able to see fish to each side of the boat up to 500'. I can't see any to the side because the tech said the 500/800 khz is to high and it will pass right through the fish and not send back a hard return. If, I had known this I would not have bought this new system. The $1100 doesn't count the $500 loss I took on letting the 740s go.

I have been a loyal Garmin customer for over 18 years now. I have spent around $7,000 on their products.

Floatin' Good Times
Monterey 265 sel
Audrey II
BoatUS Member
BoatUS Member
Posted: 16 May 2016 at 9:26pm | IP Logged
Can you program it to run at a lower frequency?
I thought there was a way to adjust the sensitivity?

96' 440 Trojan express

Dave
Greenstreak
BoatUS Member
BoatUS Member
Posted: 17 May 2016 at 6:12am | IP Logged
Hey Dave,

I have a choice between 500/800 freq. Most traditional sonar is 50/200. What I have seen so far is the target return from fish is very faint. Garmin should have been more honest about this. When I read the advertisement on this, is why I bought this setup. The Garmin tech I have been dealing with admitted it was misleading and not completely accurate . Probably in deeper waters out in the ocean the return would be more defined on the screen from larger fish. The tech had me to turn up the contrast more and now I see things a little better, but now I have a lot of noise moving across my screen.

Oh well, I am not spending more money on this. I will live with what I got.

Floatin' Good Times
Monterey 265 sel
denmh
BoatUS Member
BoatUS Member
Posted: 12 April 2017 at 8:04pm | IP Logged
Hey greenstreak
I have had a problem with garmin for other reasons, I did alot of research and found that simrad has a chart plotter with down vue, side view and front view with there .
it was $750 with total view transponder and the ability to use four different charts from different companies at way less than darmin charges. also can use a tablet to controle chartplotter from the boat. I just got the simrad so not installed yet but a nice product. I will never buy garmin again.
 dennis

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register