Vintage Power Boats

Subject
Topic: 1972 Sea Ray Heading Back to Sea
Aulemar
BoatUS Member
BoatUS Member
Posted: 10 August 2017 at 5:48pm | IP Logged
Working on getting a 24 ft Sea Ray ready to head back to sea. The boat is pretty much done, putting new brakes on the trailer, hopping to get her wet this Sunday (Aug 13). This is not a back to the original, but I like the lines on her much better than what the new boats look like now.

It has a 351 cuin Chevy engine powering a Volvo Penta stern drive. 

Audrey II
BoatUS Member
BoatUS Member
Posted: 10 August 2017 at 9:56pm | IP Logged
Best of luck post pictures so we can see what you have been working on. I hope for your sake this isn't a money pit as many older boats become quickly. Even a 24' boat has many systems that need to be maintain in order to enjoy a safe reliable boating experience. Can you tell us a little about what you have done to prepare a 74 boat for the water? When was the last time it has seen the water? What maintenance have you done to prevent issues? How old are the hoses belts water pumps bearings and boots? These are all things that should a least be inspected before trusting a boat with you and your families safety!
Don't misread this as a negative point of view I'm just making sure you have done your homework before you risk major problems. I'm assuming you didn't have a survey done on this boat based on it's age. Please fill us in on all the details I would love to hear all about it I too appreciate older boats and enjoy putting in the time to keep it running great!

96' 440 Trojan express

Dave
RGrew176
BoatUS Member
BoatUS Member
Posted: 15 August 2017 at 4:15pm | IP Logged
Good luck with her. Just out of curiosity how old does a boat have to be to be considered vintage. Is my 81 Carver vintage or just an older boat.
Rick Grew

1981 Carver 3007 Aft Cabin

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

www.wrycc.com
Aulemar
BoatUS Member
BoatUS Member
Posted: 15 August 2017 at 8:42pm | IP Logged
Ok since Photobucket no longer supports third party hosting, you have to go there to see the photos.  If there is a better way let me know thanks.

http://s1289.photobucket.com/user/zimmerman_doug/library/72S eaRay?sort=3&page=1

here

Please examine everything that is in the background. 

I have less than 2K int it so far,  hopping to test it out this weekend with a load on the drive train. 

This winter I'll rebuild the engine, and take it to Florida, in the spring,  Looking to have it reliable enough to take it 60 mi out in the Gulf of Mexico, for some real fishing, or as my son in law says Catching, not fishing.

Edited by Aulemar on 15 August 2017 at 8:49pm
Audrey II
BoatUS Member
BoatUS Member
Posted: 15 August 2017 at 8:51pm | IP Logged
The link doesn't work I was looking forward to seeing what you have done so far!

96' 440 Trojan express

Dave
Aulemar
BoatUS Member
BoatUS Member
Posted: 15 August 2017 at 9:15pm | IP Logged
Did you try the hyperlink (here) it worked for me, but I just uploaded the photos also.

Audrey II
BoatUS Member
BoatUS Member
Posted: 15 August 2017 at 9:31pm | IP Logged
Looks great!

96' 440 Trojan express

Dave
Aulemar
BoatUS Member
BoatUS Member
Posted: 21 August 2017 at 5:50pm | IP Logged
Put it in the water Sunday, did well only minor issues, slow to warm up, choke issue on the carb, Rusted cotter pin holding a steering linkage fell out lost steering for 5 min till I figured out what happened.  Possibly too much power, at 3/4 throttle  was flying over the water 60+ mph, but I was the only one in the boat.  350 Hp driving twin counter rotating props.  Don't think I will ever open it all the way up.  

Added photos to Photobucket

Audrey II
BoatUS Member
BoatUS Member
Posted: 21 August 2017 at 8:15pm | IP Logged
I have never heard of a 24 SeaRay doing 60+ MPH but then it sounds like you have tricked out the motor to get 350 HP out of a 350 motor which usually only gets about 250 horse which should be more then enough for that boat. Be careful a lot can go wrong and fast as you found out with the steering pin. Enjoy be safe and by the way nice van project as well looks like you did a ground up on that one including the motor!

96' 440 Trojan express

Dave
Aulemar
BoatUS Member
BoatUS Member
Posted: 22 August 2017 at 9:39am | IP Logged

It was rebuilt once before I got it, he used it as a ski boat, its pretty much just a hull, two seats, and an engine.  I plan on adding a cabin, and a small flying bridge, a frig, coolers, and a live bait well.  that might add enough weight to slow it down some.

Also, its a post 1988 small block Chevy engine, so I don not know what type of head gaskets are in it.  So I'm keeping it out of the salt water, until I know it has marine rated head gaskets in it.

Edited by Aulemar on 15 September 2017 at 10:56pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register