Powerboat Reviews

hondo
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 20 June 2001 at 1:15pm | IP Logged
Any owners out their to share their experiences? Looking at this boat to buy new.
KCook
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 03 July 2001 at 1:48am | IP Logged
Several Scout owners hang out over at www.thehulltruth.com

Kelly Cook

Scout Owner
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 26 July 2001 at 5:23pm | IP Logged
I own a 2000 Scout 175 with a 130 Yamaha on it. I did a lot of research before I purchased it in the Summer of 1999. The boat is very well built and rides great for a boat of its size. Only two complaints.
The scuppers, and transom cutout, are too low. With three people on board the scuppers are under water and allow water to back up onto the deck. Not a big deal in the summertime, but for cold weather fishing you better wear boots. Also, the t-top, which is beautiful, was installed by the dealer with screws, not bolts. Screws are begining to loosen and a couple have stripped. Also, not a huge deal, easily repaired. All in all a great buy and a great value.
Raul Pou
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 07 August 2001 at 8:43pm | IP Logged
I own a 1999 175 with a 115 Yamaha. I had the same problem with the water coming in through the scupper valves or not being able to exit the boat because there was to much weight astern. I drilled a hole in the rear part of the deck, right in between both scupper valve holes and installed a livewell pump to it. I manually turn it on everytime I have water on deck. It works for me!
Another problem I had was excesive rust stains coming out of the stern eyelets, cleats and rodholders. The dealer gave me new ones and the problem was corrected.
Scout Owner
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 15 August 2001 at 10:16am | IP Logged
Raul Pou-A little more info on how you installed a pump in the transom well. I thought of drilling some holes in the access hatch to the bilge to let water flow in, but at the same time that didn't seem to be the best idea. Where is the outflow?
Raul Pou
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 15 August 2001 at 11:04am | IP Logged
I drilled a hole in the aft part of the deck where it meets the transom. Through that hole I installed the intake, threaded part, of a livewell pump and put a strainer on the top so that only water goes through it. The outflow is on the stardboard side via a through hull fitting. I installed a breaker and a switch on the panel so I can manually turn the pump on whenever I need to. Let me know if you need more help. I will be more than glad to help you out.
Scout Owner
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 15 August 2001 at 3:32pm | IP Logged
That's a great idea, I guess I could wire it directly to one of the blank accessory switches I have. In cutting the hole, is it just fiberglass or is it cored? I need to go look at mine to understand exactly what you did. Did you install an additional through hull fitting or "splice" it into an existing one? I assume there was no space problem in the bilge where the standard bilge pump is.
Raul Pou
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 16 August 2001 at 10:16pm | IP Logged
I used one of the extra switches that came with the boat but I had to buy a breaker. When making the hole on the side of the boat you will find only fiberglass and foam. There is a PVC pipe that will give you access from the bilge to the batery locker on the starboard side. I would not use a Y hose connection to the existing through hull fitting because you would need to use a check valve to avoid water going back to the bilge through the bilge pump. My next project is to connect the negative wire coming from the panel to one of the two screws on the rear part of the deck, right where you are going to make the hole for the pump, and the other negative wire going from the other screw to the pump. So, in "theory" when the water level rises enough to get both screws wet the pump would activate automatically because the water would complete the circuit. That is somenthing that I have to talk with somebody that knows about DC current before I make any mistakes. You have to admit that it sound neat. If it works, i will let you know.
Scout Owner
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 17 August 2001 at 12:59pm | IP Logged
You may be on to something. If it actually works (will it also work in saltwater) you may make float switches obsolete! Good luck, can't wait to hear if it works.
Raul Pou
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 17 August 2001 at 9:57pm | IP Logged
I will keep you posted. Let me know what you are doing with your Scout.
What made you buy the 130? I have clocked mine with only one person on board, with the top down and low fuel at 47.2 knots on the gps. That is 20 knots faster than I would like the boat to go. Actually, I wanted to buy the boat with the 90 Yamaha but the dealer wanted to sell what they had in stock so they made me a great deal. Do you use your boat for fishing, cruising or what? I have found that the 34 gallons are not enough for fishing offshore. Yes, I know I am pushing the 17.5 by going offshore but .....
I live in Orlando and most of the time I use the Scout in St. Petersberg, (cruising with the family), and sometimes I go fishing with my kids, (16 and 21), out of Cocoa Beach fishing for Mahi and Kingfish.
Talk to me about your boat and yourself.
Scout Owner
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 20 August 2001 at 5:22pm | IP Logged
I use the boat primarily fishing on the Potomac River, Chesapeake Bay and Delaware coastal waters. Reason for the 130 is I wanted to make sure I had the power to haul around 4 guys, fishing gear, ice, etc. Plus, the boat is outfitted with a t-top, electronics box and custom curtains for those cool/rainy days. With the t-top alone there is significant windage. With the curtains up there is even more, but the 130 will still push it to 50 with curtains up, two people and gear. For me the choice came between two engines. The 90 or the 130. My dealer priced the 115 and 130 so close as to be negligible and the weight of the two engines is the same. I was worried that when loaded down the 90 might not have enough umph to get the job done. I generally cruise the boat at 30-35 mph and rarely over that, however, on glass calm mornings I have to say I love to let her run. Made some limited offshore excursions and I plan to do more. a 35 mile run puts me in Poorman's Canyon where tuna fishing can get hot. Flounder tournament this weekend, wish me luck!
Raul Pou
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 21 August 2001 at 11:06pm | IP Logged
Seems to me that you have the perfect boat for what you do. Good luck this weekend!
Scout Owner
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 28 August 2001 at 4:45pm | IP Logged
No keeper flounder, but a nice 3.35 lb. trigger fish and a bunch of flounder releases. Had a great time though.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register