Powerboat Reviews

Subject
Topic: MAGIC TILT TRAILER Problems
SCOOBA DOO
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 06 January 2002 at 11:32pm | IP Logged
I Purchased a NEW Magic Tilt Trailer in Aug of 2001. Upon delivery I received a trailer that has ALL hardware rusted into place and masked with grey paint. Bearing buddies rusted closed, brakes that are rusted and do not work, keel rollers that are dry rotted and warped - shall I go on.
I have since learned this trailer was actully manufacturerd in '99 and has been sitting - possibly used by the dealer. The dealer (The Boat Outlet in Ft. Walton Beach, FL) says this is a warranty issue and Magic Tilt says it's a dealer issue. One person with Magic Tilt has offered some help (talk) although no action as of yet. The dealer is non-responsive other than asking if I am still interestedin purchasing an $80K boat I looked at. That answer is obvious!
Am I the only one who has experienced this situation?
Caroline Ajootian
BoatUS Admin Group
BoatUS Admin Group
Posted: 07 January 2002 at 10:56am | IP Logged
Technically, if the trailer hasn't been registered by a retail customer, it's "new." However, there's new and there's new and obviously a trailer that's been used by a dealer for 2-3 years isn't pristine. Seems like the right thing for the dealer to do is just exchange the trailer for a really new one. We don't have any record of other Magic Tilt trailers rusting away...
Caroline Ajootian   http://www.BoatUS.com/consumer
cajootian@boatus.com
arks
BoatUS Member
BoatUS Member
Posted: 19 January 2002 at 3:27pm | IP Logged
Sorry to hear about your troubles. I purchased an alumunium Magic Tilt tandem axle roller trailer in 1998. I am happy with the trailer with one exception, the disc brakes. Within 6 months they were causing problems. The dealer replaced 2 rotors and the pads. They still give me trouble if I don't do maintenance every 2-3 months. I understand the brake parts were made from different materials that actually CAUSE corrosion. My dealer has since gone out of business, and I'm on my own. I now know what to do to keep the corrosion in check, but it is a hassle to service them so often. If I had known, I would've saved my money and gone with drums.
1984 Silverton 34C
"Winter Dream"
SCOOBA DOO
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 21 January 2002 at 5:48pm | IP Logged
I will have to say that I have heard many good reprorts on Magic tilt and why I purchased one.

In their best interest here. Magic tilt has contacted me and stated they would honor their warranty.

I agree the dealer is the 'root of the problem'. Magic tilt seems to be taking the "High Road" here. This I am glad to see as I purchase several trailers a year.

------------------

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register