Powerboat Reviews

Subject
Topic: Sea Ray vs. Four Winns
H2OADDICT
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 31 May 2003 at 10:23am | IP Logged
My father is looking at a 2003 Sea Ray 280 Sundancer w/twin 4.3's loaded with genset, a/c heat, winlass and all the goodies. They also looked at a 30 foot Four Winns with a 10.5 beam, with twin Volvo power.The boat had the same options as the Sea Ray, but no winlass. I'm not sure which Volvo's, because I didn't go with him to look at the Four Winns. The Sea Ray is 110K and the Four Winns is 122K. I think that 10.5 beam is too much for that boat, it's only a little longer than the Sea Ray. what does everyone think of these two boats. both are 2003
Pale Ale
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 31 May 2003 at 11:43am | IP Logged
I would think the wider beam would be a good thing?
H2OADDICT
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 31 May 2003 at 1:41pm | IP Logged
I was under the impression that length of boat is crucial in importance of beam. Too wide and short means rough ride etc.?
Mike M2
BoatUS Member
BoatUS Member
Posted: 31 May 2003 at 2:01pm | IP Logged
Wide is better. My 32 foot has a 12 foot beam, so it's not unlikely to have 10.5 on a 30. The Volvo power would settle it for me, it's much more reliable than Merc.

------------------
Mike M2
32 Wellcraft
Princess III
Cruising the great Chesapeake

http://members.fishingworks.com/Mike_M2/My web page

Mike M2
Rinker 300FV
"My Other Playmate 2"
Kawasaki STX15F(my 65mph dinghy)
"Sailing the Seas of Cheese"

FC3
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 31 May 2003 at 4:33pm | IP Logged
The rule of thumb is to divide length by beam, (not including bow pulpit and the swim platform -- those things have no running surface) by the beam. A ratio of 3:1 length to beam, or so, is good. Less than that say 2.5:1 is too much beam for the hull's length.

Just Ducky is 33½ in length and 11½ in beam. That's 2.9:1, a good ratio.

Best regards,
Frank C.

------------------
------------------
(1999 SeaRay 330DA - Just Ducky)
"There is nothing - absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Kenneth Grahame The Wind in the Willows

andystratts
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 01 June 2003 at 9:54am | IP Logged
I have an '02 280 with the same engine setup you described. The Alpha drives have none of the "problems" associated with the Bravo III drives. That said, Mercury is the way to go just based on sevicability alone.
Overall, IMHO Sea Ray is the hands down winner between these two boats. I looked at numerous brands at three large boat shows before deciding and Sea Ray won on every account.
Lastly, If you can find a 280 with one season under it's belt, you will save a ton. I did.
2004 Grady White 257 Advance
Twin Yamaha F150
"The Fire Escape II"
Tped
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 01 June 2003 at 10:24am | IP Logged
I have to agree with Andy here. I have the same boat (2002-280) except that I have 5.0L engines and BIII drives andsaved a ton by buying the year old boat. I also compared others and thought the Sea Ray was the better boat. Andy and I have compared notes on the performance of our 2 boats and they are very similar in rpm/speed and performance so there is no disadvantage to the 4.3/Alpha 1 setup. Actually that is what I wish I had so that I wouldn't have to be so vigilant with the BIII corrosion issue.
Tom
2003 320 Sundancer
Searenity
viking65
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 01 June 2003 at 12:37pm | IP Logged
I would go with the Sea Ray. But it seems like fourwinns and Sea Ray are coming close in this years market. Basically between these two boats it all comes down to what you want and how you like the setup, ride, etc..... GOOD LUCK!

------------------
1998 Viking 58 Convertible > "Aquaholic"
PS484@comcast.net

1998 Viking 58 Convertible > "Aquaholic"

FC3
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 01 June 2003 at 12:44pm | IP Logged
Powerboat Reports tested a Four Winns in this months issue. They ran the 298. They found it to be good, but hard riding and very wet. You need to subscribe to read the entire article, but you can read the first few paragraphs.

Best regards,
Frank C.

------------------
------------------
(1999 SeaRay 330DA - Just Ducky)
"There is nothing - absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Kenneth Grahame The Wind in the Willows

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register