Sailboat Reviews

Bretc
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 04 September 2006 at 9:54pm | IP Logged

Hi-

Also have a 1977 Kells 23 that looks like Ken's....bought it off of Ebay the end of June.  Have pictures of rudder, etc....would be willing to email --- would like info on the swing keel, particularly inspection and repair as well as rigging.  Would be interested in pictures of interiors, scans of manuals, etc...

Regards,

Bret

bret.combs@verizon.net

gravy26
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 06 September 2006 at 1:21pm | IP Logged
Bret,
In the following link, the guy pulled, repared & reinstalled his swin keel - gave step by step instructions. 
http://www.megandjed.com/lyric.html

I have a 72 Kells 23' but no manuals.  My keel was stuck up ( not in a pompous way ) when I put her in the water this year.  I had to pull her out & scrape.  A lot of rusted iron with old bonding material came off.  I guess it had swelled up in the keel cavity.  Now I'm worried it wont go back up due to barnacle build up.

I'll send you a few pics of the inside.

Regards,
Mike.

Jean Bateau
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 07 September 2006 at 9:10pm | IP Logged
gravy26 wrote:
Bret,In the following link, the guy pulled, repared
& reinstalled his swin keel - gave step by step instructions.  http://
www.megandjed.com/lyric.htmlI have a 72 Kells 23' but no manuals. 
My keel was stuck up ( not in a pompous way ) when I put her in the
water this year.  I had to pull her out & scrape.  A lot of rusted iron
with old bonding material came off.  I guess it had swelled up in the
keel cavity.  Now I'm worried it wont go back up due to barnacle
build up.I'll send you a few pics of the inside.Regards,Mike.

How can I join Jed about his Lyric Kells? I cannot find any email
address. I need to contact him about the floor repair.
thanks.
Jean Bateau
gravy26
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 08 September 2006 at 1:30pm | IP Logged
Sorry, I've never communicated with him, only found the link in a web search.

Mike
river_rat
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 22 September 2006 at 10:44pm | IP Logged

I have a 1978 Kells 23 that was refit just before I purchased it. I have owned the boat for four years and like many of you can not find any information about the Kells Company. My pop top has no hardware to hold it open and is now screwed shut with two cross braces. Does anyone have any pics of the pop top with hardware in open and closed position? Need some help here. The Kells 23 is a great day sailer and overnighter. I live in an area of South Carolina, Upstate, refered to as the Lakelands. Great water all around me. Five major lakes within trailerable distance for short trips.

Bill

Bretc
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 23 September 2006 at 8:09pm | IP Logged

Send me a picture indicating the areas you'd like photos of....if my boat looks the same will get some shots and email you. 

I wouldn't mind some photos of rigging, etc, anything you have pictures of....haven't rigged ours yet.

Regards,

Bret

bret.combs@verizon.net

weege
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 26 September 2006 at 7:39am | IP Logged
Hello All,

It is with great sadness that I say that I will be parting with my 1976 Kells
23. I've had it for one year, put a bunch of work and money into it, and
enjoyed sailing it this summer. Unfortunately I was the only one in my
family who really enjoyed it. My wife and youngest son always got
seasick. My older sons love sailing but prefer much smaller boats. And
the cost is too great to maintain when adding that I would have to beg
people to come with me. :(

So I thought I would notify you guys first incase anyone had any interest
in the boat or parts. I'd much prefer to sell the boat in whole but if I must
I'll sell off parts and junk the rest. It will be too hard to watch it sit in my
driveway all winter. I'm not looking to really make money on it. I would
just like to recoup a part of all I invested in the past year (halyards,
shackles, keel winch, rudder, sails, etc).

If anyone has even any remote interest or need of parts let me know. I
can give plenty more information if anyone needs it but I don't want to
clutter this post if no one is interested. I live on Long Island and she is
currently docked in the Great South Bay (nice sailing!). And I'll need to
resolve all this before too long.

If anyone has any questions, comments, or ideas for me please email me
at kells_sailor@mac.com.

Oh yeah, and I did NOT notice that clanking or banging keel problem that
others have talked about. I know my boat had only one real owner before
me. Perhaps this boat never had that problem or perhaps the keep pin
and all that was repaired before I received it. My keel worked great (after
I replaced the winch).

-Louis

ps. I do have a copy of an original sales-type brochure that I must find
and post for you guys.
Jean Bateau
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 26 September 2006 at 9:23am | IP Logged
Bonjour Louis

I would love to have a copy of any kind (photocopy, scan, pict, etc)
of the original brochure.
That would be so useful.
I live too far from your place for even thinking of getting parts.
Have a nice day.
Jean
ISpen1
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 22 April 2007 at 6:20pm | IP Logged

Hi all,

I found the banging keel problem was due to age giving an enlarged the hole in the swing keel that took the keel bolt.  The suspension of the s.k. had become loose enough that when waves were on the beam, the keel could sort of flop about.  For me the remedy was to fill the old hole and make another & replace the bolt. After that, no banging & better pointing. 

If any literature is available I'd be very interested in a copy.

My current issue is tuning.  Has anyone tried to use a tension gauge to tune the rig?  Any numbers to share?

I replaced all standing rigging & I increased diameter up to 5/32.  I think all the rigging was original & it was in bad shape.

Now I'm trying to get the rig right & I find that the lower shrouds pull down the top of the mast too much & bow it forward.  I have noticed that some K23s have both forward and aft lowers.  I think mine is the original, aft-only.  Are forward lowers a retro-fit?  Does anyone have any experience or advice??

Thanks,

Ian Spencer

"Aurelia" K23 '75

gravy26
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 23 April 2007 at 10:00am | IP Logged
Ian,
I purchased & sailed my '72 Kells 23' for the 1st time last year and found the backstay seemed unusually loose unless I was on a broad reach or a dead run then it would pull tight.
I noticed at the end of last season a few strands in the stainless steel braid of the backstay had broken at the turnbuckle so I'll be replacing it in a few weeks..I'll ask the repair shop specifics about tuning.

I only have 1 lower shroud per side just aft of the mast.

Regards,
Mike Mayer
"Rehersail" K23 '72
Michael Pilon
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 25 April 2007 at 7:19pm | IP Logged

I would love any/all info about sailing/rigging my Kells 22....

Thanx !

trawfazzz
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 04 May 2007 at 12:30pm | IP Logged
Hello All,

I have just received a Kells Sailboat.   I do not know what year it is .  how can I find out?  I am working on getting title info but is difficult.  A really nice guy gave me the boat with no title so I am working through the state to get that worked out.  Most of the wood toe kids shot do I remade them.  Has anyone tried to paint there boat and how did it go.  My Gelcoat is pretty shot.
gravy26
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 04 May 2007 at 12:36pm | IP Logged
I repainted my ' 72 Kells 23'  topsides last spring.  1st coat was perfect. The 2nd coat dried really dull.  I read later I probably applied it when there was too much humidity. The 1st coat was done in the morning, the 2nd the following day in the afternoon..

At $100/gallon I've decided not to reapply this spring.

It went on fine..just make sure you've prepped and it's dry outside.

Regards,
Mike Mayer
Alvandruff
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 08 May 2007 at 11:35am | IP Logged
Greetings fron the San Francisco Bay.
My Kells 23 is a "Coaster" The keel is fixed in the down position and I
have no idea what the draft would be. Does anyone have a brochure that
states what the draft is with the board down. Better yet, does anyone have
a brochure they could send me.
The coaster must have been a special order boat. They used the same
mold - only change was to cut away the centerboard trunk. makes it easy
to get in and out from the table.
Thanks for any help.
Albert
ISpen1
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 08 May 2007 at 1:29pm | IP Logged

Alvandruff,

I believe I have a JPEG of a manual.  I'm also on the Bay, in Redwood City.  I'll post my EMAIL, reply & I'll dig out the doc & send.  That doc refers to the regular flavor K23 like mine, so it may not help too much.  May be good to have anyway.

On another matter, does anyone whose K23 has forward lower shrouds have a measurement to share of the distance along the rail from upper shrouds to forward lowers.  Perhaps the shortest distance between the attachment points would be most useful.

Thanks,

Ian Spencer "Aurelia" K23 '75

derspenz1@aol.com

river_rat
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 19 May 2007 at 9:33pm | IP Logged

Hi to all,

I recently took some pictures of my mast raised with the rigging in place. E-mail me and I will try to forward some of the pics of my Kells 23

Bill

albaker
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 26 June 2007 at 5:13pm | IP Logged
Hello again,

I've finally got around to posting some pictures of the restoration I'm doing on my 1974 Kells. You can check out what I have so far here: http://members.cox.net/albaker/index.htm. For now I've just dumped some pictures on a page.  I have more pictures and can take pictures of something that you might want specifics on.

~Al
ISpen1
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 26 June 2007 at 5:24pm | IP Logged

Al,

your pics were inaccessible to my computer, can you them send to derspenz1@aol.com, please?

Thanks

Ian Spencer

gravy26
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 26 June 2007 at 5:29pm | IP Logged
Wow Al,
Looks like you did a great job so far!  A total rebuild.

I see you're in Ct.  Maybe I'll see you on the Sound.
I keep my '72 23' at New Haven Yacht Club.

Would you know what type of winch Kells uses?  My Starboard winch needs some parts but I could find no manufacture markings on it

Thanks,
Mike M.
Jean Bateau
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 26 June 2007 at 6:33pm | IP Logged
albaker wrote:
Hello again,

I've finally got around to posting some pictures of the restoration I'm doing on my 1974 Kells. You can check out what I have so far here: http://members.cox.net/albaker/index.htm. For now I've just dumped some pictures on a page.  I have more pictures and can take pictures of something that you might want specifics on.

~Al

You did a marvellous job.  I'm just about to begin to try to do such a job.  But I'm not that skilled.  Did you shoot new gelcoat or is it paint?  What kind of product did you use, for the fiber glass, epoxy?  I have plenty of questions. 
jeanbateau@hotmail.com or through this forum.
I'm northeast of Montréal in Québec, up there. I have pictures if needed.
Jean
Jean Bateau
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 26 June 2007 at 6:35pm | IP Logged
river_rat wrote:

I have a 1978 Kells 23 that was refit just before I purchased it. I have owned the boat for four years and like many of you can not find any information about the Kells Company. My pop top has no hardware to hold it open and is now screwed shut with two cross braces. Does anyone have any pics of the pop top with hardware in open and closed position? Need some help here. The Kells 23 is a great day sailer and overnighter. I live in an area of South Carolina, Upstate, refered to as the Lakelands. Great water all around me. Five major lakes within trailerable distance for short trips.

Bill

Do you still need pictures of the pop top hardware?  I can take some for you if usefull.
Jean
albaker
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 28 June 2007 at 4:37pm | IP Logged
 To Jean:
I rolled on the paint with closed cell high density rollers. I used both fiberglass and epoxy, with various fillers depending on the application. I bought the cloth from west marine (online), and picked up the epoxy  locally due to shipping costs.  I used A LOT! I had never done any fiberglass/epoxy work before, so I did a lot of reading, and a lot of sanding/grinding. :-)

To river Rat:

on the site link above I have one picture of my pop-top kind of up close.  I have it off right now, doing the last bit of paint after putting a new core in it, but I can take pictures of the various parts for you and post on my site.  let me know if the pic online is not enough.  I'll take pictures tonight.

To Mike M:

I'll check my winches tonight and let you know. I'll probably be sailing mine in fisher's island sound.  Maybe sometime I can tour your boat! I was just in Milford yesterday at North Sails touring their facility and ordering my new sails.

To Ian:  It's alot of pictures, but I'll try!  Do you know how to use winzip?

Edited by albaker on 28 June 2007 at 4:40pm
james1
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 05 July 2007 at 6:38am | IP Logged
albaker wrote:
 To Jean:
I rolled on the paint with closed cell high density rollers. I used both fiberglass and epoxy, with various fillers depending on the application. I bought the cloth from west marine (online), and picked up the epoxy  locally due to shipping costs.  I used A LOT! I had never done any fiberglass/epoxy work before, so I did a lot of reading, and a lot of sanding/grinding. :-)

To river Rat:

on the site link above I have one picture of my pop-top kind of up close.  I have it off right now, doing the last bit of paint after putting a new core in it, but I can take pictures of the various parts for you and post on my site.  let me know if the pic online is not enough.  I'll take pictures tonight.

To Mike M:

I'll check my winches tonight and let you know. I'll probably be sailing mine in fisher's island sound.  Maybe sometime I can tour your boat! I was just in Milford yesterday at North Sails touring their facility and ordering my new sails.

To Ian:  It's alot of pictures, but I'll try!  Do you know how to use winzip?

james1
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 05 July 2007 at 6:40am | IP Logged

Hello I also  recently acquired Kells 23. I need to find a picture of the boon rigging. Any help or pictures would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

James

gravy26
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 19 July 2007 at 6:24pm | IP Logged

Hi James,
I finally uploaded some rigging pics of my 1972 Kells 23'

http://www.geocities.com/gravy26/Kells.Rigging.pdf

I hope it helps.

Regads,

Mike Mayer

Alvandruff
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 07 August 2007 at 5:54pm | IP Logged
Mike,
Is there only 1 picture in your pdf file?
Thanks,
Albert
" Alby " San Francisco, CA.
gravy26
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 07 August 2007 at 11:22pm | IP Logged
Hi Albert,
It does appear that way, but I just checked & if you 'arrow' down  more will appear.  I admit I didn't do a great job, but I will be going out tomorrow or Thursday & will focus on getting taking some good ones.

Thanks,
Mike M.

trawfazzz
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 23 August 2007 at 1:26pm | IP Logged
The jell coat is coming off of my Kell 23 footer.  Where the bumpers have rubbed is now down to the fiberglass.  I want to paint the boat.  I have been doing some research and have found paints like Interlux and Armorpoxy.  I have a Paint sprayer like for cars.  Do I need to do anything special to spay the paint.  Is there an Epoxy paint that you would recommend.    I will post pictures as I go along.  Thank you for your help.
Bill Flynn
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 09 September 2007 at 7:28pm | IP Logged
I just purchased a Kells 23 and I am excited about refurbishing it, so I am looking for data and any pics you may have of yours.  I will be happy to do the same for you.

Bill Flynn
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 17 September 2007 at 7:05pm | IP Logged
I am refrubishing a Kells 23 and I would love to swap pics and any other data required.  My e-mail address is wflynn@cox.net
Michael Pilon
Forum Member
Forum Member
trawfazzz
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 05 October 2007 at 2:05pm | IP Logged
Hey Michael P,

Thanks for the pics they are very helpful.  I am redoing my Kell 23 footer as we speak.   I have the kids involved and we are having a bunch of fun.

Michael O.
FunkyColdMedina
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 14 November 2007 at 1:42am | IP Logged

Hi to all, I also just got a kells 23 and am in the process of attempting a restore. I have almost striped the hull and hope to paint the deck in January, Have been toying with dropping the keel and checking the pin (this is my first swing keel boat, lost my last sailboat in my divorce 5 years ago sure do miss her...the boat I mean) but I wonder if that’s too big of a job for me. Many of the picture I have seen show a pop top my 1975 kells 23 has a regular sliding top hatch. I do have some questions about the rigging and would love to discuss them. I got the boat, trailer, motor, extra mast and boom roller furling and significant sail inventory for $1500.00. I figure that the Honda four stroke and dual axel trailer is worth that price. Would love to hear any advice and would share pic’s with all interested, Fcoldmjam@yahoo.com

Edited by FunkyColdMedina on 14 November 2007 at 9:27am
james1
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 17 December 2007 at 5:04pm | IP Logged

Hi I am currently refurbishing my Kells 23. There are cracks in the gelcoat on the deck. What is the best way to repair these cracks before painting the deck.

Thanks

Terry

Bretc
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 25 December 2007 at 11:03pm | IP Logged

All-

Finally got around to dropping my keel on my kells 23 - it had the dreaded clunking!  The pivot hole had enlarged to a 1 inch diameter (the pivot bolt is a 5/8 inch stainless).  Anyway, I have a few pictures of the keel removed if anyone is interested.  Also took a few shots during the removal of the pivot pin - very simple to do.  Let me know if you are interested and I will email the photos.  My next step is to have either a stainless or bronze plug put in and the keel redrilled to original size.  Would appreciate any experience or photos that anyone has to share on keel repair.  Any recommendations for finishing?

Regards,

Bret

bret.combs@verizon.net

gravy26
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 26 December 2007 at 9:44am | IP Logged
Check out this web site for keel repair:

http://www.megandjed.com/lyric.html

Regards,
Mike M.
Bretc
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 29 December 2007 at 5:41pm | IP Logged

Thanks for the link - It turns out the the pivot bolt in my Kells is severely off angle as is the hole in the keel.  In this case, two wrongs don't make a right - just one very misaligned keel! 

I plan on trueing up the pivot hole in the keel during refurbishment (am going with a machined to fit bronze bushing in the keel).  Will probably change out the 5/8" pivot bolt for 3/4" in the process to provide more surface area for support and smoother pivoting.  Am willing to provide pictures as I go through the process if anyone desires.

Bret

bret.combs@verizon.net

jhf442
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 14 August 2008 at 2:12pm | IP Logged

Hello.

I just bought a 1976 Kells 23. The keel lifting cable is broken and the mechanism where the cable feeds through the hull looks like it was jury rigged, and needs to be replaced. The winch is intact and functioning. Can anyone describe, or better yet send me a picture of what this is supposed to look like and how it is supposed to function? What is the appropriate length and diameter of the keel hoisting cable? Was there originally some mechanism to keep the cable from cutting into the hull as the angle of the cable changed from vertical when the keel was fully retracted to about 45 degrees when the keel was fully lowered?

I'm thinking of adapting the through-hull tube and turning ball assembly used in the Catalina 22 to my Kells.

I'd appreciate any thoughts or experience you may have on this.

Thanks, John

Schmitty75
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 20 July 2010 at 5:01pm | IP Logged
Lady Lyn wrote:
We have recently purchased a Kells 23 sailboat and did a partial refit. I would appreciate any information that anyone could provide on the boat. I have searched the internet and to no avail have not been able to locate much information. She seems to be a wonderful boat and has a wonderful line to her and would love to find more information. Thank You.  
I have a Kells 28' and love the boat I'm moving to an apartment and can't afford to keep her looking to sell
Schmitty75
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 20 July 2010 at 5:03pm | IP Logged

I'm selling my Kells 28'

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>