Consumer Q & A

Subject
Topic: 99' Bayliner 2452
slippery when wet
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 29 August 2002 at 10:28am | IP Logged
2452.......I BELIEVE THAT IS THE BAYLINER CLASSIC, WITH A HARD TOP? I COULD BE WRONG. THE POWERTRAIN IS TOP NOTCH, AND THE BOAT IS ACTUALLY THE BIGGEST "BANG FOR YOUR BUCK". ITS A WELL THOUGHT OUT BOAT BY DESIGN, AND REAL ROOMY. HAVING WORKED FOR THE DEALERSHIP, I FOUND THAT THE BOAT WAS GREAT ALL AROUND FOR MOST WEATHER CONDITIONS. THE VALUE ON THE BOAT IS IN THE MID TWENTIES, AND IS ALOT OF BOAT FOR THE PRICE. GOOD LUCK WITH HER.
Caroline Ajootian
BoatUS Admin Group
BoatUS Admin Group
Posted: 29 August 2002 at 11:51am | IP Logged
Aside from a complaint or two about Bravo III corrosion, we have no reports on the 1999-2000 Bayliner 2452.

Still, plan on a survey prior to purchase.

Caroline Ajootian   http://www.BoatUS.com/consumer
cajootian@boatus.com
Mike M2
BoatUS Member
BoatUS Member
Posted: 29 August 2002 at 1:02pm | IP Logged
Go to www.boc-web.org for all the Bayliner info you can stand. The forums there are strickly Bayliner.
Mike M2
Rinker 300FV
"My Other Playmate 2"
Kawasaki STX15F(my 65mph dinghy)
"Sailing the Seas of Cheese"

Ken Drake
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 29 August 2002 at 2:27pm | IP Logged
Regarding the Bayliner 2452, look at my comments under new topic. I pressed the wrong button. Ken Drake
viking65
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 29 August 2002 at 10:50pm | IP Logged
HAHAH.....Nothin but bayliner buds......We should start a Searay ONLY board....
They have a thread on that board called "there out to get us",........funniest things i have read in a Long long time...good,clean humor
------------------
"Wide open BABY is how we run !"
PS484@comcast.net

[This message has been edited by viking65 (edited 08-29-2002).]

1998 Viking 58 Convertible > "Aquaholic"

DonM
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 29 August 2002 at 11:52pm | IP Logged
That should be a real nice boat. My brother has a '97 w 5.7 & B II. With the '99 you will get the Vortec Heads which mean 30-4- extra horses. That should make the 2452 move out real nicely. The interior is very light with all the windows. Makes it a pleasure to ride in when the water is calm. I have not heard of any corrosion problems with the B 2, so Caroline's comment about problems with the B 3 is N/A.

BTW, I find the BOC forum very useful. we get excellent technical input and excellent ideas on upgrades.

Don

slippery when wet
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 30 August 2002 at 8:15am | IP Logged
a sea-ray only board?
just join the bayliner buds, cause your sea-ray came off the same production plant as the bayliner.
RGrew176
BoatUS Member
BoatUS Member
Posted: 30 August 2002 at 10:12am | IP Logged
Bayliner and Sea Ray are 2 different divisions within the same company. I do not believe they share any production facilities. At least not the last time I checked. Unless you know something different Sea Rays and Bayliners are built at totally different facilities.
Rick Grew
2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club
gb2052
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 31 August 2002 at 2:26pm | IP Logged
Another thread that somehow got infected by the SeaRay name. It's allways the same, someone asks for an opinion about anything EXCEPT SeaRay and SOMEONE else plugs the SeaRay name right in.

You know there is a thread (SeaRay 370 dancer) that actually asked a S/R question but the local S/R experts did not post there!

Personally, I do not put down anyone else's boat no matter what it is, but it's getting to the point where I hate even seeing that brand name. So if the overbearing people pushing SeaRay are doing it to try to get people to buy one, it's backfiring!

[This message has been edited by gb2052 (edited 08-31-2002).]

[This message has been edited by gb2052 (edited 08-31-2002).]

viking65
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 31 August 2002 at 8:09pm | IP Logged
I'm innocent in this thread, i havent said one thing that use the Letters S and R in the same word., I'm innocent. But bayliner and Searay arent the same boats at all. There just "related."

------------------
"Wide open BABY is how we run !"
PS484@comcast.net

1998 Viking 58 Convertible > "Aquaholic"

oceanvoyager
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 31 August 2002 at 9:38pm | IP Logged
HA HA HA...Nothin but bayliner buds... We should start a SEARAY only board...

Not a single word with S and R in this thread Viking??

gb2052
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 01 September 2002 at 12:05pm | IP Logged
QUALITY TIME:
Sorry man, I got a little off track griping about the S/R problem.

Anyway, I have a Trophy (Bayliner) W/A and if we decide to move up to a cruiser it will probably be a 2452, we looked at them in the showroom when we bought the Trophy, good looking boat.

So yes, I would buy another Bayliner.

Ken Drake
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 01 September 2002 at 9:46pm | IP Logged
I posted a reply to the query regarding the Bayliner 2452 a while ago but pushed the wong button so it never appeaed here. Anyway, I own a 1993 Bayliner Classic. Its a boat with a lot of nice features which hold true for other Bayliners. They appear to offer a lot for the money. In the fall of 2001 my 2452 started to leak. When it came out of the water we found sections of the hull had delaminated and there were several cracks through the hull at the strakes midship. I notfied Bayliner and since the boat was out of warantee they were polite but disinterested.

When spring arrived I had a really serious problem, a leaking gas tank. To replace the tank the motor had to come out and the tank could only removed in sections. Replacement required cutting the hull. The reason for the leak was an improper installation. One final problem developed although this one was Mercruiser. The oil pan had rusted through and was the source of an oil leak that had been plagueing me for a while.

As I said, its a nice looking boat with a lot of nice features if you don't mind construction that doesn't last. Incidentally, I know of four other 2452s with the same problem, some under warantee.

Ken Drake

gb2052
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 02 September 2002 at 12:16am | IP Logged
Ken Drake:

You must be really upset at Bayliner because this is the 4th time I have read your story on different threads and forums.

The manufacturer, Bayliner, built a boat in 1993 and backed it with a limited warranty. You bought the boat USED in 1994 (this from one of your previous postings) since then the warranty has expired and now 9 years later you claim a defective product. I cannot agree with you. Defects in materials or workmanship do not take almost a decade to surface. If you read through the forums you will find people with non Bayliner brand boats facing true defects like cracks and leaks on hulls less than 1-3 years old. On boats that cost A LOT more than Bayliners.

Remember, the boat has been used and maintained for 9 years. Damage could have occured to the hull and been repaired by the previous owner. Where was the delamination, the transom? If so was the outdrive improperly sealed to the transom along the way during a service or repair? You say the bottom of the oil pan (Mercruiser built) rusted through, was this because the boat had taken on that much water at one time?

As with any used boat purchase unless you personally know the first owner there is no way to know it's true history. It could have been sunk and salvaged, repaired and resold. Or it could have just not lasted as long as you thought it should.

Either way I don't think Bayliner offered a lifetime warranty on this boat, especially to a second or third owner.

ChuckZeese
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 02 September 2002 at 11:35am | IP Logged
I have a 1999 2452 with 5.7 Bravo III that I bought new and love it. I would not trade it for any other boat I have seen for any price. I use it primarily for cruising in the Great Lakes and made a 1100 mile cruise this spring that included New York City and Boston. I selected the B3 over the B2 for gas mileage consideration and keep it on a trailer when not in use. I especially like the headroom in the cabin and large windows to see the scenery when anchored or docked. I have had it out in some pretty rough water and would whole heartedly recommend the boat to anyone. The only criticism I have is the front windows do not open up (I knew that when I purchased it) and a very minor window frame leak in one corner.

------------------
Chuck Zeese

Chuck Zeese
Ken Drake
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 02 September 2002 at 2:44pm | IP Logged
Regarding GB052s comments. your righ, I am pssed at Bayliner. The boat was in excellent condition with litte use when I bought it. Crappy construction is crappy construction on an expensive boat or an ordinary boat. There is no excuse for what happened to mine no matter what the age. A well constructed hull with enough properly laid fiberglass should not delaminate or develop cracks over its life time unless its run on the rocks, suffers a collision or is very badly abused which mine wasn't. Certainly reading Bayliner's brochure suggests a long life. Incidentally, I didn't have blisters or transom problems. Just the bottom.

The gas tank leaked because it was improperly installed. The oil pan was Mercruiser because they use unpainted automotive pressed steel oil pans which rust hen exposed to bilge water.

Chuck Zeese is right. It is a great little boat for the money. It is the only craft in its size that looks like a boat and has a cruiser friendly cabin which is why I bought it and if I thought I could trust the construction I would buy one again. I use mine on the Great South Bay on Long Island. It is docked in my back yard and is stored, shrink wrapped, on land at a local boat yard and has been well taken care of every year since I have owned it.

Ken Drake

Ken Drake
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 02 September 2002 at 2:54pm | IP Logged
Answer to Quality Time. I think I have answer most of your questions. The boatleaked becuase the hull cracked. It is used in salt water and is dry stored in the winter. The gas tank leaked due to corrosion because water collected underneath it.

Ken Drake

gb2052
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 02 September 2002 at 5:08pm | IP Logged
QUALITY TIME:

Almost all boats of that era regardless of brand or price were built with aluminum fuel tanks and after years of salt water use they usually do corrode and leak. Boats left in the water all season usually have some salt water in the bilge accelerating the problem. Newer Bayliners, like most manufacturers, have switched to polyethylene fuel tanks that cannot corrode. Just open the deck plate and look in to see what type of tank yours has.

Regarding hull cracking, if the boat you are interested in is out of the water check for stress cracks carefully. Also check for damage due to impact or improper lifting, my boat was brand new and had to have a chip in the transom repaired where the dealer's lift hit it during transport and it had never been in the water. If the boat has been improperly lifted in it's past some areas could have been overstressed. If the boat is on a trailer look carefully where the rollers contact the hull. Check the transom around the drive for stress cracks or water leaks/damage.

It's always a good idea to get a survey by someone YOU pick because a pro knows what to look for and can warn you of any potential problems.

The above advise applies to ANY brand of boat. Just the facts.

DonM
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 02 September 2002 at 10:32pm | IP Logged
For Ken,
How come you never noticed the water in the bilge? There would have to be a lot of it to touch the bottom of the engine. And it would have had to be in there a while. You must have dry stored it without checking the bilge. that much water would probably have slowed the boat down. I look in mine every week. Just fixed a problem with the ac leaking some condensate in the forward bilge. Fixed a minor water tank leak last year. Doln't like a lot of bilge water.

Don

Bill Hylton
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 03 September 2002 at 7:27am | IP Logged
Everyone is missing the point. Of the thousands of these boats made the #1 company which tracks defects for the private consumer has reported no problems-I'm sold. (again, thanks boatus) Bill
Is spring here yet?
Ken Drake
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 03 September 2002 at 1:25pm | IP Logged
To DOM M. When it rains 93 2452s leak water from the deck hatches plus around the side air vents plus the engine sets low and the pan is close to the bilge. The bilge pump doesn't pump out all the water so there is usually some in the bilges which splash when the boat is in motion wetting the bottom of the oil which causes it to rust. Is this simple enough for you?
DonM
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 06 September 2002 at 8:40pm | IP Logged
I got one of the $20 hand pumps. If any water gets down there, I throw the hose over the side & give it a few pumps. An even better plan is to use one of the wet/dry shop vacs. We also got a slant back and a mooring cover so don't get very much rain water at all. The rear deck is self bailing.
Don
captharv
BoatUS Member
BoatUS Member
Posted: 09 September 2002 at 8:55am | IP Logged
On this board, you will see posts by boaters that have had problems with any brand/dealer/boat, and those that have nothing but praise for the same boat. Boats are assembled by humans and there exists the possibility of a defect with ANY brand of boat.
I have a 2002 2452. Love it!. Had some problems with leaking around the front window, but the dealer sent a fiberglas/interior repair team to my home where the boat is on the trailer to repair it. Problem turned out to be bedding around the window was not right, and they dug out the old bedding and rebedded with 4200 quick set.
Not only did they fix that, but the headliner was torn and stained by the leak, and was also replaced. When asked their opinion of the boat and Bayliner in general, the crew commented that they do warranty repairs for 15 brands, and they did not seem to have a larger number of warranty claims from bayliner than the rest. I asked about hull problems, and the answer was: "depends on what you hit".
The warranty service and my opinion of the boat, particularly the quality is great.
As stated above, the interior space, layout and ride is really unique for a 24' boat.
Just did a 200 mile trip. Ran good and used 87 gallons running at about 26-27 MPH.
I have the 5.7 BII package.
I closing, the 2452 has been on of the most popular boats on the water, and the fact that caroline has had so few complaints speaks for itself.
Captharv

[This message has been edited by captharv (edited 09-09-2002).]

moose1077
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 17 September 2002 at 3:25pm | IP Logged
I bought a 93 2452 (5.0 Alpha 1 gen II) in 98. Starter is in a crappy locale but can't blame mercruiser or Bayliner as they don't seem to talk design much. Actually had to replace it twice. The first time, I had to cut through the starter and through bolt. Had some issues with lineup afterwards but nothing terrible. Also, the Ignition Amplifier gets wet. It sits directly under the seam for the cowling and if it gets wet, the boat won't start. Had to replace for around $250 or so. Still no biggie.
I took good care of her, she never, never, never made me call for a tow. Even when the starter went, I got one more to get me home. I loved the boat. Took her off shore of LI fishin/sharkin as does the new owner. He conned me into buying a Crownline express this year just so he could get his hands on my Bayliner.....rat bastard. I'm already looking to sell this thing and move up to a 34 Silverton.

It's a great boat, not only for the $$ but in general. I loved it. Has real potential for customization as well. I say go for it. I'd buy another bayliner in a second!

------------------
Doug W.

Doug W.
FSHNERIE
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 06 October 2002 at 10:34am | IP Logged
I have a "98" 1903 Trophy center console 150 Merc,Great boat.Also have a "01" Trophy 2352 Sport,5.7,Run them up on lake Erie.I'd buy another one.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register