Repairs & Maintenance

Subject
Topic: anchor line splice to anchor chain
Henry
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 22 April 2004 at 4:07pm | IP Logged
I have changed my five eighth three strand anchor line to an eight part braided nylon line.  What is the proper method of splicing the eight part nylon line to the chain link?
boatbum
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 22 April 2004 at 7:09pm | IP Logged

First of all, why did you do that. Three strand is made to stretch and absorb shock loads. Braided line will not stretch like three strand. If you are speaking of a rode to chain splice such that the windlass will go from the rode to chain seamlessly, I am not aware of a way to do that. Also, the windlass may not grip the braid. If you are just looking to put an eye splice in the braided line and shackle it to the chain, then you need some splicing fids and practice. But, again I would go back to the three strand.

St. Petersburg, Fl
WillyWare
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 22 April 2004 at 10:53pm | IP Logged

Henry,

Take a look here. http://www.bluemoment.com/warpchainsplice.html

Bill

ChrisW
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 23 April 2004 at 7:31am | IP Logged

here is another 3 strand splice from NE ropes but I don't think they have instructions on 8 part braid.

http://www.neropes.com/splice/default.htm

Chimoii
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 23 April 2004 at 9:46am | IP Logged

WoW!!Shocked

Thanks to some time (many years ago) in a Navy school I can splice 3 strand (even fswr) pretty well. I've never attempted braid. If I need that done for the sailboat I leave it to the pros.

When Isabel came through the Chesapeake the stretch in my 3 strand lines, at least 30%, saved the boat. That big elastic band out on the bow is what stops the anchor cleat from ripping out when a thunderstorm comes through at night and being on the boat takes on a rodeo flavour. Please don't use braid for an anchor rode.

Edited by Chimoii on 23 April 2004 at 9:46am
Chimo - An Inuit greeting - "Welcome!". Also used as "Cheers" in some parts of Canada
arthurn
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 24 April 2004 at 8:44pm | IP Logged

I am new to the forum and was just cruising (:-)  I do, however, agree with the others.  I think the 3 strand rode is the best bet for a combination chain/rope anchor rode.

Arthur
DustyJacket
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 24 April 2004 at 9:54pm | IP Logged
Or, do as I did, whimp out, and buy a line, with a splice and SS eye built in.  Connect a shackel between the eye and the chain, and you are done.
duncan
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 30 April 2004 at 8:07am | IP Logged

Seems some confusion here?

Octoplait nylon is nothing like 'braid'; it's strech is very similar to 3 strand, handles nicely, washes well as the end of the season, flakes much better in anchor lockers and is windlass friendly. ie it's the correct rope for anchor warp!

The link Willyware gave is an excellent step by step guide and the job is no more difficult than a neat eye splice in 3 stand if you take your time with the prep

Yanmar 4LHA / Merc BIII
boatbum
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 30 April 2004 at 3:13pm | IP Logged
  Didn't understand it was Octoplait. 
St. Petersburg, Fl
duncan
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 03 May 2004 at 11:40am | IP Logged

easily done

Always worth a warning re braided lines . The  number of boats you see tied up with 'old' sailing lines, kevlar/spektra etc in quite large diameters, and people wonder why they snap when used in short lengths to moor a 5 ton boat to a solid poonton !

Yanmar 4LHA / Merc BIII
dieharddiver
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 12 May 2007 at 12:50pm | IP Logged

5-12-07

Hi there. I just saw your question about joining your chain to eight stranded anchor line. First of all, changing to eight stranded was an excellent decision. This line as you probably know does not have the same characteristics as a the usual braided line, in fact has better stretch characteristics than the three stranded, is more durable, kinks less , stows more compactly and is more suitable for a windless. I you want detailed instructions in both written and video form on how to splice to your anchor chain , visit lewmar.com and there is an excellent presentation on this subject.

Dieharddiver

SwampNut
BoatUS Member
BoatUS Member
Posted: 12 May 2007 at 3:30pm | IP Logged
They've been waiting three years to be able to use their boat...
2001 Bayliner Ciera 3055
Twin 5.7 Bravo 2
Lake Pleasant, AZ
zerk12
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 13 May 2007 at 8:37am | IP Logged

Tongue

Splicing single braid is easy.

The only problem with single braid is the higher cost and ensuring the splice is prim and proper. I would leave the tip of the tail exposed and bundled like a stopper knot. or make the tail longer and well tapered.

Naw, I think I would stick to three strand; I couldn't sleep with a single braid splice holding the chain (underwater where I couldn't see it).

rwidman
BoatUS Member
BoatUS Member
Posted: 13 May 2007 at 3:53pm | IP Logged

Henry wrote:
I have changed my five eighth three strand anchor line to an eight part braided nylon line.  What is the proper method of splicing the eight part nylon line to the chain link?  

If you buy the line as "anchor line" it should have a loop and thimble already installed.  Use a shackle to connect it to the chain.

Ron
2000 Camano Troll - High Cotton

duncan
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 13 May 2007 at 6:14pm | IP Logged

'thimbles' aren't windlass friendly nor will they usually pass through a hawsepipe Ron ............. 

what's 'single braid' got to do with this thread Zerk?

Yanmar 4LHA / Merc BIII
zerk12
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 14 May 2007 at 6:12am | IP Logged

Henry wrote:

Eight part (number of strands) braid is single braid or hollow braid.

Myself I wouldn't rely on any double or single braid spliced rope for a rode - only three strand. Double braid is for dock line. It's the most difficult splice. Both can fail if the throat is not seized properly, and especially if the tail of the core is not tucked deep enough into the throat.

Seizing or stitching the throat to the tail of single braid removes some of the elasticity - makes me nervous. The tail is held in place, in the throat in the outer cover by tension created on the outer cover (and by the seizing). But I have two dock lines I spliced myself of oversized 12 strand single braid - it's the best, and easy to splice too.

The problem with single braid is the higher cost and, if it snags on a wood post a single strand can break and weaken the rope (buy it oversize.)

I think splicing single braid to chain is a good idea but I don't have a windlass so I don't have to do it. Before you do it, first use emery cloth or fine sandpaper and smooth the link on the chain; that will minimize any chafe on the inside of the eye (the part difficult to see and inspect.)  You can also insert some heat shrink tubing over the eye before you splice it onto the chain link to minimize chafe.

If you're comfortable with it, you could use double braid for a rode; but you must be proficient doing a high quality splice. A previous poster, here, already mentioned how well double braid and single braid will perform. But why bother when a swivel always should be used on a rode. A swivel eliminates twists and tangles in 3 strand, and is easily mounted at the anchor if a windlass is used.

If your deck pipe is small you can use an undersized thimble - paint the eye with liquid electrical tape to minimize chafe. Shackles and swivels are always one size larger than the chain used. But if you have an anchor locker with a hatch on deck then you can use anything you want. 

duncan
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 14 May 2007 at 6:59am | IP Logged

zerk

great detailed response and in relation to braided/sheathed lines I couldnt agree more however I believe we accepted that the OP caused some confusion by his use of the term 'braided' and was describing anchor plait (octoplait) nylon (can be polyester too) and, as detailed in many reference links to splicing rope to chain, this is a common, secure and strong splice that is in use all over the world. equally this line itself is excellent for said purpose.

I wouldn't use a sheathed (braid over core) construction line for anchoring ever, and dislike even basic loose braided lines for the reason  you highlight - too easy for the individual strands to wear. Also tangles easily etc.

wonder how the OP is actually getting on all these years later?

Yanmar 4LHA / Merc BIII
zerk12
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 14 May 2007 at 8:58am | IP Logged
I might consider anchor plait - sounds like a good idea, especially for  a small opening deckpipe...thanks.
MLauman
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 14 May 2007 at 11:57am | IP Logged

duncan wrote:
Wonder how the OP is actually getting on all these years later?  

OP was a drive-by poster.

1997 SeaRay 270 Sundancer

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register