The simpliest way to put a photo of your boat (or what ever) in your signature line would be to register on http://my.boatus.com (the Members Only section of the website). Once there you can upload up to 5 photos (as well as arrange to see your local tides, weather and a bunch of other boating things automatically once it's set up without having to drill down a bunch of clicks each time). So here's how you do it, step-by-step:
1) go to http://my.boatus.com and register (or log in if you've already registered). At this time there is no relationship between the databases of this messageboard and the Members Only section so don't even try to use your log-in name and password from here.
2) once you're registered and logged in, under Manage Your Content click Choose Content which can be found in the left hand navigation, about half the way down.
3) There you will find over 40 different things to choose from to add to your personalized, boating, webpage. Find the section called My Personal Content and under it you will see a box to click called My Photo Album. Check that box (and any other content you're interested in) then click the save button:
4) You should have something that looks like this on your homepage:
5) Just click where it says Click here to upload your favorite photos in the middle of the blue box.
6) Next you will see the instructions:
Instructions on How to Add and Remove Images You may upload as many as five images. Files must be in a .jpg, .gif, or .bmp format. Also, the file name must be one word, without any spaces and can only contain letters and numbers (@#$%^&*()_+/? will not work).
Choose the image file that you want to upload by clicking on the "Browse" button below and selecting the file from your local hard drive. Once you select a file, click the "Submit" button below to upload your image.
If you have already uploaded an image, you may delete it by clicking on the "Delete" button under the thumbnail image above. Warning: If you delete an image, there is no way to recover it.
If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, please Email us at MyBoatus@BoatUS.com and someone will get back to you during regular business hours, Monday - Friday, 9am-6pm EST.
Follow those instructions to upload your photo(s).
7) When that is completed, go back to your homepage at my.boatus.com and you'll see something that looks like this (this is what my photos on my homepage look like).
Click the different thumbnail photos on the bottom and the larger photo will change.
8) Decide which photo you want and make sure it's the large one. Then Right Click your mouse on the photo and you should see something like this:
9) Now click Properties (found on the bottom of the pop-up) and it will look like this: What you want to do now, is with your mouse, highlight the Address/(URL) for the photo. See image, the blinking part is what I'm talking about.
While it's still highlighted, either
a) go to the top bar and click Edit, then click Copy or
b)if you're better with the keyboard than you are with a mouse like I am, while it's still highlighted just click the Ctrl button and then the letter C.
This puts what you've highlighted into the Memory of your computer.
10) Now you can come back to the Messageboard (if you've chosen the Messageboards under the Boater-to-Boater section for content on your Member's Only homepage, then all you have to do is click the words Message Boards (Recent Posts) (see example) and it will take you to our favorite place, the Messageboards! Viola! We're almost done.
10) Now click Settings (found in the top right hand side of the page) then Edit Profile. As you scroll down the page, fill in any unanswered questions if you like. :)
11) When you get to the Signature Box, put the mouse where you want your photo to go (before or after your signature), the you have your two different ways to paste the Address/URL of your photo:
a) go to the top bar and click Edit, then click Paste or
b) just click the Ctrl button and then the letter V (the only reason I think they chose the letter V is for Very easy) and the address should magically appear!
12) One last thing you'll need to do is put [ IMG ] in front of your Address/URL and [ /IMG] after it. This is just special code to make the image appear instead of just the link.
If you have any problems, just email me directly and we'll do this for you. :) email@example.com
If there's anything in these directions that's confusing or if I missed anything, please let me know. I may need to use these directions elsewhere and I'd like to make sure they're right.
Edited by Terri Parrow on 27 May 2004 at 4:35pm
Terri Parrow Botsford
BoatUS Internet Operations
I had someone email me with a question on how to do this on a Mac. The answer is that when you have your mouse over your image, hit Control Click. Then hit Open Image In New Window. You should see the image only. Then cut & paste that link/URL into your signature line.
Your instructions worked just fine and I was glad to find them. Just one part gave me trouble and it's because I am a newbe. At the very last you talk about the need for IMG. If you could acutally show an example it would help. I did not realize I had to use the brackets. Now that my picture of my boat is there, it is to big. How do I make it small??
I bet your computer has Island Girl's original image cached and you're still seeing the first ones. Refresh this page by hitting the refresh button while holding down the Shift key and see what happens.
Terri Parrow Botsford
BoatUS Internet Operations
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot create polls in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum