Repairs & Maintenance

Subject
Topic: Mercruiser not shifting into forward gear
ep_galiano
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 26 July 2004 at 1:28pm | IP Logged
I have a 1987 Mercruiser 140 i/o that will only shift into reverse but not forward. If engine is in neutral it will not go into forward. It will go into reverse, but once in reverse it will continue in reverse even if lshifter is pushed into "forward" position (just accelerates in reverse). Once in reverse there is no way to put it into neutral other than turning the engine off and putting the the shifter in "neutral" position. Any suggestions? Please post. Thanks.
FC3
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 26 July 2004 at 8:44pm | IP Logged

A few WAGs:

• Bad shift interupter
  • Bad shift cable to the sterndrive
  • Incorrect sterndrive shift cable adjustment
  • Worn dog clutches in the sterndrive

How mechanically adept are you?

Best regards,

Frank C.

ep_galiano
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 27 July 2004 at 10:31am | IP Logged

thanks for the feedback. I have not worked on shifting mechanisms before but have done a lot of other work on my engine. I also have the mechanics book for the engine, so any suggestions you have, I will definitively try if I feel comfortable doing them. Otherwise I will take it to a mechanic.

Thanks for your help

Eugenio

FC3
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 27 July 2004 at 9:52pm | IP Logged

You can fix the first three yourself. The last pretty much should be left to a MerCruiser guy.

Best regards,

Frank C.

ep_galiano
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 28 July 2004 at 7:41am | IP Logged

Frank:

I would appreciate any feedback on how to make try to fix the first 3 things, or at least to be able to pinpoint if one of those 3 are the problem, any suggestions on how to proceed?

Thanks

FC3
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 28 July 2004 at 9:03pm | IP Logged
  • The shift interupter is a leaf type microswitch mounted on the shifter mechanism on the top of the engine. There's roller on that switch that rides between to lobes on a fork attached to the shift cable. When going out of gear, the fork should move causing the roller to follow the lobe, momentarily killing the ignition. Make sure the fork moves when shifting out of gear. (see item #9, page 2A-15)
  • Remove the stern drive shift cable (the one that goes from the top of the engine to the drive) and move it in and out. If it's hard to move, replace it. You can identify old style vs. new style from this page.
  • Adjustment procedure on page 2A-14 to 2A-17.

MerCruiser Service manual pages:

Best regards,

Frank C.

Mike M2
BoatUS Member
BoatUS Member
Posted: 28 July 2004 at 9:11pm | IP Logged
My 2 cents, an 87 will be new style shifter cable(which is much easier to change).
Mike M2
Rinker 300FV
"My Other Playmate 2"
Kawasaki STX15F(my 65mph dinghy)
"Sailing the Seas of Cheese"

ajbiv
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 11 August 2005 at 1:52pm | IP Logged
I have rougly the same problem.  But mine is that when going forward it never goes right away.  The engine revs up then all of a sudden it pops into forward.  Now going into reverse is no problem.  Does any one have any suggestions?
msgrasso
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 12 August 2005 at 11:17pm | IP Logged
I have a Bravo III drive and it is slow to shift into forward. When I shift into reverse, it engages instantly.  When I shift into forward, it takes 2-3 seconds.  I tried to adjust the cables but the delay did not change.
ajbiv
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 08 September 2005 at 12:31pm | IP Logged
Also you might want to check the shift interupter switch.  That is where problem was at.  Talk about a headache solved by grounding the switch.  20 year old boat and wires degrade and fall off.  Especially when you only had it for 2 years and the previous owner forgets to tell you the wire fell off.
dewayne777
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 12 September 2005 at 3:25pm | IP Logged

I have a 1999 searay  140  motor with alpha outdrive. it won't shift into forward gear but reverse works.

it was in storage for a year before this happened.

what could be the trouble?

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register