Repairs & Maintenance

Fisherjeep
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 18 October 2004 at 10:34am | IP Logged

Does anyone here know of a way to prevent mice from getting into a boat during storage. I have tried D-Con, moth balls, traps etc.. They can be caught with traps or killed with D-Con but I would like to find a way to PREVENT them from getting into the boat and doing damage.

Capt John
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 18 October 2004 at 11:24am | IP Logged
Seal up anywhere they can get in.  It doesn't have to be a large space for the varmints to squeeze through.
Edited by Capt John on 18 October 2004 at 11:24am
ssb73q
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 18 October 2004 at 1:50pm | IP Logged

Hi Fisherjeep, mice wonít stay in areas where they donít have an advantage. Short of keeping a cat aboard, you should remove any objects that would provide insulation and shelter. Remove objects like PFD, cushions, seats, paper towels, and especially food items.

Load up the boat with D-Con. You may not like the mess (or smell) in the spring, but it will keep the critters from chewing your wiring.

You could also put in sacrificial bedding for the mice as lone as there is enough D-Con available to last the winter. Put a bail of hay in the boat. The mice will preferentially use it as bedding and leave the rest of your boat alone. However, you also must have enough mice poison aboard to kill your boat guests that try to live there during the winter.

I have had problems with mice with my trailered boat outside of my garage in spring and fall, but that problem goes away when I store it for the winter in my neighbors barn that has tons of hay in it.

Regards,

Richard

RosieB
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 18 October 2004 at 2:56pm | IP Logged

Place some D-Con inside the boat, but also place it around the boat.

If they can get it before they get in the boat, they won't be able to get in the boat.

I had one that traveled in the boat from Lake Geneva, WI to the Lake of the Ozarks.  He was one dizzy mouse when I uncovered the boat at the Lake of the Ozarks.

I picked him up by the tail and threw him overboard.  Too bad I forgot to attach a fish hook!

74Formula233
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 18 October 2004 at 4:51pm | IP Logged

How are they getting in, first of all?  They can climb a lot of things, but how do they climb your hull sides?

I've never had a mouse in my boat ever, but I also can't see how they could possibly get in......

rwidman
BoatUS Member
BoatUS Member
Posted: 19 October 2004 at 11:11am | IP Logged

Place some D-Con inside the boat, but also place it around the boat.  
Please don't place it "around the boat".  Think of other wild annimals, pets, and children.  In any case, poison will result in dead animals inside your boat, something you don't want.  Moth balls work for me and the smell goes away within a day in the spring when the boat is uncovered and opened up.

Other than shrink wrap, I don't think you can seal the boat tight enough to keep them out.  The electonic pest repellers might be worth a try in addition to the moth balls.

Ron
2000 Camano Troll - High Cotton

rwjacobs
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 19 October 2004 at 12:51pm | IP Logged

Try to use Fox urine powder. It is harmless, for pets, children and you can spray it around the bopat and put it on a plate inside the boat. The smell of a fox will keep rodents away. In addition, you can add the green cubes (poison). This will make the rodent look for water, so they die outside of your boat. Last but not leat, I heard that the that the gas evaporating from mothballs (ethylene???) can cause corrosion to some paints and metals.

Ronald

Crownline 250CR
Double 'O' Dewy

TranquilityBase
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 24 October 2004 at 11:11am | IP Logged
Also,

Be sure the mice take a boating safety course.
zerk12
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 21 October 2005 at 8:21am | IP Logged

mice will chew on expensive materials (sunbrella) and on life supporting material (bellows.) I once found a family in my cars air filter; then some of the material worked it's way into the intake. squirrels like poly tarps. mouse poison works on squirrels too.

mice can enter a boat thru the garboard drain hole so place mesh screen on the outside of it. put poison inside and outside. smell as regular as you can for death. mice are a serious threat to the seaworthiness of a boat. even when children are on board. use plenty of poison and be responsible too. I mean this; every boatyard should have a team of felines to keep critters away. feed them dry food only - let them hunt for their meat.   a mouse, rat or snake can jam itself into a mechanical part of your motor at startup. spare no mercy for these critters - it's them or you . 

Bcush
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 21 October 2005 at 11:52am | IP Logged
74Formula233 wrote:

How are they getting in, first of all?  They can climb a lot of things, but how do they climb your hull sides?

I've never had a mouse in my boat ever, but I also can't see how they could possibly get in......

My guess would be that they are climbing up ropes used to hold down a tarp. I have always stored my boats on their trailer and never had a mouse problem. My current boat has a cockpit cover that snaps on, and since I store indoors, that is enough. My previous boat had a tarp that I tied down with rope that went under the boat and attached to the tarp on the other side. I make sure that nothing is hanging down to the ground that any critters could climb up and I keep my drain plug in so they can't get in there either.

I hope I didn't jinx myself here...

FV 270"The Wetter the Better"

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember:
Amateurs...built the Arc.
Professionals...built the Titanic
finstalker
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 24 October 2005 at 2:19pm | IP Logged
glue traps work great! safe too. you can usually get them at the local supermarket.

<*((><
Rauzer
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 25 October 2005 at 9:01am | IP Logged
Whatever you do, DON'T use moth balls.  I went crazy at the end of my first season and the odor is still there.  Just too potent and it gets into everything.
Rauzer
2004 Maxum 2900SE
DavidK
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 25 October 2005 at 9:11am | IP Logged
Park your boat next to an Azimut or Viking.  Clearly the mice would rather live on one of them.
Flutterbye
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 25 October 2005 at 12:21pm | IP Logged

TranquilityBase wrote:

Ahhhh, TB, you beat me to it!

Vessel Flutterby
1991 22ft Freedom

Bcush
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 25 October 2005 at 1:33pm | IP Logged

TranquilityBase wrote:
Also,

Don't forget...you need PFDs for ALL of your passengers.

FV 270"The Wetter the Better"

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember:
Amateurs...built the Arc.
Professionals...built the Titanic
rwidman
BoatUS Member
BoatUS Member
Posted: 25 October 2005 at 5:41pm | IP Logged

Rauzer wrote:
Whatever you do, DON'T use moth balls.  I went crazy at the end of my first season and the odor is still there.  Just too potent and it gets into everything.  

How many did you use? 

I got one can and divided them into three plastic containers with holes punched in the lids.  The smell wasn't that bad and went away completely the first time we used the boat in the spring.

Ron
2000 Camano Troll - High Cotton

SpiderBoat
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 11 March 2009 at 9:14pm | IP Logged
I just found a product that keeps mice away from your boat. It is these little pouches called "Store it Right" that you place in your boat and the mice detest the scent and run away. I have used these forever and never had any issues with mice in my boat. This way there are no dead mice to deal with, and it is safe around other animals and people... No poisons, and no worries.
180Shabah
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 11 March 2009 at 9:52pm | IP Logged
WOW! really diggin' here. This thread is 4 1/2 years old.
John
SpiderBoat
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 11 March 2009 at 9:54pm | IP Logged
Oh wow, didn't even notice that! I will have to pay better attention!
BluesBarge
BoatUS Member
BoatUS Member
Posted: 12 March 2009 at 8:49pm | IP Logged
Hey, some things never change...

m/v Fun Size
      HADDONFIELD, NJ
jerry
BoatUS Member
BoatUS Member
Posted: 13 March 2009 at 8:50am | IP Logged

SpiderBoat wrote:
I just found a product ... I have used these forever  .  

Ok... I know that I am picking here.... but which one is it? Did you just find the product or have you used them forever?

Yea, It's been a long winter.

1989 Trojan International
12 Meter MotorYacht

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register