Repairs & Maintenance

Websurfer
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 09 February 2005 at 2:59pm | IP Logged
Has anyone out there used a Pergo floor in a boat? I'm looking to replace my carpet with a more durable flooring and figured a wood floor would be best. I was curious if anyone had done this and if they had any regrets about using a wood or wood-like decking. All of the flooring I'm considering replacing is inside the skin of the boat, in the salon, galley, and berth. Would there be an increase in noise from the engine room (which is beneath the salon)? Carpeting would provide some sound proofing, I assume, in addition to the regular sound proofing lining the compartment. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Regards,
Jim
1991 Silverton 34 Convertible
jvalich
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 09 February 2005 at 3:22pm | IP Logged

Jim:

I just did the cabin floor of my boat.  The carpenter at work is working on som solid cherry stair replacements for me now.  The Pergo I used had a thin rubber/foam backing.  I haven't had the boat in the water since I installed it so I can't comment on the noise question.  I sealled the permieter with Pergo's perimeter sealer they recommend for bathroom and kitchen installations. 

Jvalich
http://www.flowguardian.com

2004 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"

Lakeland, FL
D West
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 09 February 2005 at 3:25pm | IP Logged
I replaced my carpet with place and press tile and it has worked very well. I also have a boat neighbor who used the laminate floor and his has held up and worked great. No more dirty carpet in galley.
natethegreat978
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 09 February 2005 at 5:11pm | IP Logged
pergo flooring is great, I have it in my house.

But, on a boat... I've seen boats with standard hard wood flooring (regal)
and it is very slippery with sox on... Something to think about. Jvalich, is
it slippery?

nate
Happy Boating!
       natethegreat978
   Boston Whaler 255 Conquest
   w/ Twin 150 Mercury Verados
jvalich
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 09 February 2005 at 6:44pm | IP Logged
It wasn't barefoot.  Mostly on the boat it's deck shoes or barefeet.  I'll have to check the socks hing out.  Barefoot I couldn't slide on it.
Jvalich

Lakeland, FL
boatbum
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 09 February 2005 at 6:51pm | IP Logged
Good luck on the Pergo or other "engineered wood floors" on a boat.  Let us know of it's durability in about a years time.
St. Petersburg, Fl
Rauzer
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 09 February 2005 at 7:23pm | IP Logged
Jva - Looks real nice.  Nothing like some "custom" extras to bake a boat unique.  Should help at resale too.
Rauzer
2004 Maxum 2900SE
Mike M2
BoatUS Member
BoatUS Member
Posted: 09 February 2005 at 7:52pm | IP Logged
I'd have to question how well it will work on a boat. I have Pergo in my game room, beers get spilled on it constantly while playing pool and such. I have noticed the edges starting to "raise" a little, kinda like pressed particle board would. Tho it's not bad there, in a boat the water would be there a lot more....
Mike M2
Rinker 300FV
"My Other Playmate 2"
Kawasaki STX15F(my 65mph dinghy)
"Sailing the Seas of Cheese"

jvalich
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 09 February 2005 at 8:00pm | IP Logged

well if it doesn't last I'm out about $60.  It's not glued down.  To remove all I'll have to do is cut the 1/4' bead around the perimeter and the whole thing should disassemble and the fiberglass floor is there again.

Jvalich

Lakeland, FL
vlobue
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 09 February 2005 at 8:16pm | IP Logged

D West wrote:
I replaced my carpet with place and press tile and it has worked very well.  

D West - stick on tile in your boat?  Is it a pontoon?

2003 Sea Ray 240 Sundancer "r Lil Secret"

Mike M2
BoatUS Member
BoatUS Member
Posted: 09 February 2005 at 8:24pm | IP Logged
I have been trying to decide what to do with the floor in the galley and entrance area. They are carpet now and i would like to put something down that can be cleaned easy, like linoleum, but something maybe a bit better looking. There's allready been Koolaid spilled and the stuff doesn't come out easy
Mike M2
Rinker 300FV
"My Other Playmate 2"
Kawasaki STX15F(my 65mph dinghy)
"Sailing the Seas of Cheese"

jvalich
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 09 February 2005 at 10:17pm | IP Logged

From the "OVER PRICE JUSTIFICATION ON SEARAYS  thread by Vlobue:

I have never bashed a pontoon boat, but I have thought about it...  

D West - stick on tile in your boat?  Is it a pontoon?

Sounds like you have now!  Ya know D West, considering where he boats, may have a very expensive houseboat that your "lil secret" Sea Ray could be a little dingy to.  Just perhaps he has a full kitchen that tile would be a great choice over carpet and the press on is a lot less weight than ceramic.

Seems like that "Sea Ray" attitude that so many denied in the fore mentioned thread is not quite so far fetched as many have stated.

Just an observation...

Jvalich

Lakeland, FL
boatbum
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 09 February 2005 at 11:29pm | IP Logged

Instead of the engineered hardwood floors that will not last, there are two floors out there that are used on boats as well as homes.  Amtico, check the web site, used in bar areas on cruise ships.  Metrofloor True Woods Collection.  Either of these two will go the distance.  That Home Depot crap, Pergo etc.  does not belong on a boat.  Looks good as long as the boat is dry, not to mention linear expansion differentials. 

St. Petersburg, Fl
PascalG
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 10 February 2005 at 11:15am | IP Logged

been considering alternative to carpet as well...  especially in a companion way between the split engine roomssince there is no way to keep the carpet clean there...

so far, i'l leaning towards real teak and holly on plywood base.

Amtico is now indeed used on some high end boat, but you need to start with a very good surface.   havne't seen smaples yet but on a nother forum, someone considering it was dispaspointed with the look and feel of the samples he got.

costwise, for a small surface the real ting shoudn't be more.. i think a 4x8 sheet is under $200.. plus finishing it of course.

Pascal
Miami, FL
1970 Hatteras 53MY
Hobie 16
12' Westphal Catboat

Live Cel. helmcam at http://www.sandbarhopper.com
bliss
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 10 February 2005 at 12:07pm | IP Logged
 1n Spring of 1999 we tore out all of the carpeting and rubber backing in our Silverton 402. The V-berth, dining area and master berth were redone with carpeting as well as the stairs. The saloon was done with a Pergo like product from Norway. It has been great. If I were to do it again I would do it myself and take on the more difficult task of doing the stairs that lead in and the stairs between the saloon and dining area in wood. I would also install rubber or neoprene strips or Pirelli surfacing on the stairs. My boat is dry so there have been absolutely no problems. If I had to deal with moisture I would still use the wood product but would seal the sides and ends and maybe finish with a coat of varnish and a non skid wax from Bruce.
Edited by bliss on 10 February 2005 at 12:11pm
CTdave
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 10 February 2005 at 4:42pm | IP Logged

Pascal

I installed 1/4" teak and holly plywood on my old 42' Post & It held up perfectly for the four years I had it.

I just ripped out the fake wood floors (they looked like crapola) which someone installed on my new 50 Bertram. It is also getting replaced with the teak/holly.

I can't remember how many times people stepped into my Post & one of the first things they said was "whoa,,,,,,look at those floors, they are absolutely beautiful". I doubt you would hear that with the other stuff on your Hatteras.

bencashen
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 10 February 2005 at 5:04pm | IP Logged

what about a TDS decking... www.teakdecking.com

and there is also a product talked "Flexi Teek" (not teak)

ben

PascalG
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 10 February 2005 at 5:34pm | IP Logged

dave... I have small carpet runners that I keep on top of the carpet between the engine rooms... stains dont' show this way but that crappy carpet is an embarasment compared to all the veneer work on the boat. luckily that's what poeple notive first when the get in...

Flexi Teek and PlasTeak are the same product, and I'm considering it for the aft deck. they're really meant for outisde, have dark inserts instead of holly. got some samples, it looks good.

Pascal
Miami, FL
1970 Hatteras 53MY
Hobie 16
12' Westphal Catboat

Live Cel. helmcam at http://www.sandbarhopper.com
Gsimm
BoatUS Member
BoatUS Member
Posted: 10 February 2005 at 5:40pm | IP Logged

CTdave,

Interesting..........

What was name brand and source of the T&H flooring???????????? Got NE pictures.

I'm just getting started on doing some renovation on my 42'.  Nothing really wrong with it but done by original owner, not my taste, and getting a bit tired looking.

Fill me in please,  larry

jvalich
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 10 February 2005 at 6:00pm | IP Logged
Many of the Four Winns dealers are adding FlexTeak to the swimplatforms of th cruisers they are ordering (option for the swimplatforms).  Personally, I think it looks cheezy as in EZCheez.  Plus it's about a $1600 option.  My dealer's servic manager said she thinks it look like crap after about a year or so outside.
Jvalich

Lakeland, FL
bencashen
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 10 February 2005 at 6:29pm | IP Logged

we got a sample of "flex-teek" at work...nobody was really that impressed with it, personally I thought for what it is and the way it would presumably wear...it wasn't too bad--if you go to their website they claim to use it on some real high end yachts.

We install quite a few TDS decks on boats at work...they are a very nice product- I am not sure if they will sell to the public though.

Websurfer
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 11 February 2005 at 1:43pm | IP Logged

jvalich, I like the looks of what you have done there. I assume this is in your dining area below? I'd be curious to see if it lasts and hope that it does. By the sounds of things no one, except you, has done a Pergo floor in a boat, yet there is not much support for it. I would think that if you can install the stuff in a bathroom, which is a pretty harsh environment, it would work on a boat. The floor in my salon rarely ever gets wet, but it has. I guess I'll just have to do some more research and let you all know what I find and/or do.

Regards,
Jim
Websurfer
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 11 February 2005 at 1:44pm | IP Logged
OBTW: Thanks to all that replied to my question, your input is always insightful.

Regards,
Jim
Dream 'Inn
BoatUS Member
BoatUS Member
Posted: 11 February 2005 at 2:01pm | IP Logged
Jvalich, please let keep us up to date how it holds up.  For a smaller area like where you did it, but yet a really noticeable and used area, that may be the way to go for that kind of price.  & lots of us have areas about that same size that just gets a lot of wear on the carpets originally put there in older boats.
Dream 'Inn III
2008 400 Rinker Express

jvalich
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 11 February 2005 at 2:30pm | IP Logged
I'll definitely report on it's wearability.
Jvalich

Lakeland, FL
Wishoot
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 08 May 2007 at 1:05pm | IP Logged

This is a very old thread, but I'm very interested to see how the Pergo options have held up.  My carpet is looking pretty bad and it's time to replace it. 

I like the idea and look of a Pergo type of floor, but I'm a little worried about durability.

Any reports would be appreciated.

-Mike-

1994 Regal Ventura 9.8
finstalker
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 08 May 2007 at 2:16pm | IP Logged
laminate floors are VERRY SLIPPEERRY WHEN WET!!! i found out the hard way after i put some down in the house. i never knew i was capable of doing a split. good luck!!
sbw1
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 08 May 2007 at 3:18pm | IP Logged

PascalG wrote:
so far, i'l leaning towards real teak and holly on plywood base.  

I'm not sure what it costs to add, but the 3/4" solid teak and holly has held up very well on our boat. We have an area rug in the salon whichs makes it easy to walk on in bare feet and socks. It does get wet from doing dishes, spills etc., but it cleans right up. One thing I've noticed is the need to vacuum more often. All the "stuff" in the air shows up as dust and lint. I suppose it was always there, but it blended into the carpet.   

BluesBarge
BoatUS Member
BoatUS Member
Posted: 09 May 2007 at 9:03pm | IP Logged

I saw Teak and Holly here ...

http://www.maritimewoodproducts.com/interiorfloors.html

And here.. One Example: 1/4" Veneer applied to 1/2" plywood will make a 3/4" thick cabin sole.

http://www.woodworkingforwatercraft.com/cabinsole.html

Don't know what they cost however...

m/v Fun Size
      HADDONFIELD, NJ
BluesBarge
BoatUS Member
BoatUS Member
Posted: 09 May 2007 at 9:08pm | IP Logged

These seem reasonable.

Teak Decking Products

Teak and Holly
Teak and Holly 4' x 8' Standard
1 sided
Marine Grade
1 mm Face Veneer
Teak 2-3/8" wide
Holly 1/4" wide
6mm (1/4")
9mm (3/8")
12mm (1/2")
18mm (3/4")
$155.00
$180.00
$190.00
$205.00
                                                Add $5 per sheet for less than 5 sheets
Teak and Holly
Teak and Holly 4' x 8' Premium
1 sided
Marine Grade
2 mm Face Veneer
Teak 2-3/8" wide
Holly 1/4" wide
9mm (3/8") $295.00
                                                 Add $5 per sheet for less than 5 sheets
Teak and Holly Teak and Holly 4' x 10' Standard
1 sided
Marine Grade
1 mm Face Veneer
Teak 2-3/8" wide
Holly 1/4" wide
6mm (1/4")
9mm (3/8")
12mm (1/2")
18mm (3/4")
$295.00
$305.00
$315.00
$360.00
Teak and Holly
Narrow Spacing

4' x 8' Standard
1 sided
Marine Grade
1mm Face Veneer
Teak 1 5/8" wide
Holly 5 1/6" wide
6mm (1/4")
9mm (3/8")
12mm (1/2")
$220*
$234*
$254*
*Non stock in Vickery, OH location
Teak and Rubber
Rubber already installed 2-3/8" on center
Teak and Rubber 4' x 8' Premium
1 sided
Marine Grade
1.4 mm Face Veneer
6mm (1/4") $565.00

Grooved Teak Decking
You install the rubber 1-5/8" on center
Grooved Teak Decking 4' x 8' Premium
1 sided
Marine Grade
1/8" Face Veneer
12mm (1/2") $380.00 non-stock

Average shipping costs for 1-20 sheets east of Rocky Mountains = $175
Average shipping costs for 1-20 sheets west of Rocky Mountains = $300

Homestead Hardwoods
6910 CR 249
Vickery, Ohio 43464

For Direct Ship Orders:
Phone: 419-271-0437
Fax: 614-294-2630
Email:
emily@homesteadhardware.com

m/v Fun Size
      HADDONFIELD, NJ
mjacobi
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 10 May 2007 at 9:22am | IP Logged
I recently aquired a 37 holiday mansion houseboat and the PO put laminate flooring in.  It is absolutely the most dangerous thing I have ever seen on a boat.  It is so slippery when wet you will likely kill yourself.  I am rebuilding the engines so the boat hasn't even left the dock yet and I have already fallen 3 times.  I can't imagine what it would be like whne underway so after I finish the second engine I plan on changing it out.  If you want something that will wear well besides carpet look to real woods like teak or epee (brazilian wlanut).  The real wood does not seem to be nearly as slippery as laminate.  Just my humble opinion.
180Shabah
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 10 May 2007 at 11:35am | IP Logged
Why replace it?? Just refinish it with something with a little more surface friction.
John
Wishoot
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 10 May 2007 at 12:05pm | IP Logged
Wow!  Glad I opened this up again.  I was very close to taking the plunge and just installing laminate flooring.  I'm going to have to reconsider my options now.
-Mike-

1994 Regal Ventura 9.8
mjacobi
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 10 May 2007 at 2:53pm | IP Logged
That might be a thought but I have to redo the interior of the cabin anyway.  Also not sure how different finishes would adhere to laminate.
Dick_F233
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 13 May 2007 at 5:56pm | IP Logged

Under NO circumstance would I consider laminate flooring (Pergo et al) in a boat.  Besides being snot-slick when wet, it does not tolerate moisture.  If it gets wet, in a day or two you will be able to see the swelling as it puffs up due to the glue softening and water absorption.  I behaves very much like the composite stuff they build furniture out of.

Pergo just "looks like" wood, and there the similarity ends.

Oh Kay - 1972 Thunderbird Formula F233
http://home.stx.rr.com/dfischer/OhKay1.htm
SwampNut
BoatUS Member
BoatUS Member
Posted: 13 May 2007 at 8:01pm | IP Logged
We're doing our house with a product that is a full synthetic but looks like laminate.  It's supposedly waterproof, even recommended for bathrooms.  I haven't tested the slip factor yet, but it does have a lightly textured surface.  We got it at Sam's Club.

2001 Bayliner Ciera 3055
Twin 5.7 Bravo 2
Lake Pleasant, AZ

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register