Powerboat Reviews

Subject
Topic: 2001 Sea Ray 280
Gabby
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 30 January 2006 at 1:42pm | IP Logged
I am looking at a 2001 Sea Ray 280 Sun Dancer. It has twin v-6's 220 HP each, Alpha 1's with counter rotation outdrive's. If anyone has any feed back (pro/con) would appreciate it. 
andystratts
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 07 February 2006 at 7:46am | IP Logged

Had the same boat in a 2002 model. I owned it for 2 seasons, and logged 200 "babied hours " In that time, I had numerous "large "problems that luckily Sea Ray made good on (see my previous posts) We loved the boat, loved the looks and the layout, but the quality was crap, the engines developed problems that Mercruiser could not diagnose  and therefore even with my extended warranty would not fix. Bottom line ....I now own a Grady White powered by Yamaha and LOVE IT

If you are serious about the 280, reconsider the V6 engines for the 5.0's and take a good look at the Cabin door (always break and about 2k to fix. I have seen over 20 260/280 dancers with the same problem) also the cabinets delaminating, the gauges not working properly, the engine computers, the v6 for intermittent overheating at extended idle times, the cabin leaking and soaking the v-berth cushions.

Good luck!

Gabby
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 07 February 2006 at 8:59am | IP Logged

Thanks for the reply. I took a sea trial this past weekend. The boat ran well. I did notice that the cabin door did not roll well. Is that what you mean by break??

The dealer will warranty the boat till labor day so if I do have a problem it should be covered.

jvalich
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 07 February 2006 at 10:34am | IP Logged

We looked at the 280 in 2004.  Wife nixed it on the cabin steps inthe door.  She felt it was a safety hazard.  At the boat show she went forward to inspect the foredeck and anchor layout.  Our son came out of the cabin and left the door open.  She was unable to get down until the cabin door wass closed again.

This was a big thing for her, may not be for y'all.  Just thought I'd mention our experience with the "steps in the door" design.

Jvalich
http://www.flowguardian.com

2004 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"

Lakeland, FL
andystratts
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 07 February 2006 at 3:46pm | IP Logged
If the door is hard to open, it is on it's way to being broken. The door weighs roughly 75 lbs. and is attached to the tracks by 4 flimsy plastic rollers which when people step on the door break. a poor design to say the least.... To fix the door, it must be removed....To remove the door, the entire windshield, the entire bulkhead must be removed, thus the exorbitant costs... Check the door to see if it is split at the base, if it is, the door must be replaced or the same thing will happen quickly...Let those v6's idle at the dock for 30 minutes and watch the temp gauges. Mine used to overheat and go into alarm intermittently. Check all the cherry cabinets for the cherry bubbling and coming unglued. Check under all the cushions in the cabin for signs of moisture/ leakage. Check the tachometers, and all the multi gauges for erratic operation and fogging. If there is a windlass, deploy it and make sure it completely returns without you having to lie on the deck and manually feeding it back in while holding the retrieve button....Run the boat for a while at cruising speed and make sure the tachs don't start jumping as the engines start surging ( engine computers on mine) You know...all this is bringing back some really bad memories of my 280 and how much it used to really annoy me. Make sure all items are checked. A salesman will promise you the Warranty world but good luck when you go to the service dept. in July. PLEASE make sure you love the boat before you buy it. There are a lot of 280's out there and you best be sure this one is cheap and in perfect shape! Did I tell you how much better my Grady is made??? I have logged 200 hours on her with nary a single complaint and she takes the seas a LOT better than the Sea Ray!
2004 Grady White 257 Advance
Twin Yamaha F150
"The Fire Escape II"
skolbe
BoatUS Member
BoatUS Member
Posted: 07 February 2006 at 8:11pm | IP Logged
If you visit searayowners.com  you will get some feedback from some people that love their 280's.
TranquilityBase
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 08 February 2006 at 10:12am | IP Logged
A few years ago I remember being at a gas dock behind a Sea Ray of the vintage you are looking at.

While they were fueling they managed to lock the boat keys inside the cabin.  WHen I left after fueling they were borrowing others hand srills etc to break back into their own boat.

I remember being happy not to be the owner of a Sea Ray that day.
lbi4fun
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 08 February 2006 at 1:15pm | IP Logged
Ok, I think that is more of a problem with the owner's fit and finish quality as apposed to the boat.

LBI4fun, 2005 Formula 31PC T-Merc 6.2MX 320HP
bridog2
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 08 February 2006 at 7:23pm | IP Logged
Gabby, I think Andystratt's problems are the exception rather than the rule when it comes to SR boats. I'm certainly glad I did not have the same problems he had with my 260. And I'm glad SR made it right, as they should have. I'm not so sure other company's would have taken care of the problems.  I hope you know anyone with any boat can lock the keys in the cabin and that... is not a SR design problem rather a problem with the captain. If you or your wife find yourself up on the bow and someone opens the door, you can do what my wife or I do. Bend down and open the door. Not really a difficult task on most boats with this design. We love the design. It's safe and gives more room in the cabin.  Hopefully more people can give you advice.
Edited by bridog2 on 20 February 2006 at 6:47pm
tommym
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 08 February 2006 at 7:36pm | IP Logged

jvalich wrote "Just thought I'd mention our experience with the "steps in the door" " 

That is the only complaint I have with my boat, I will NEVER have steps in the door again ! It never fails that someone will open the door while I am trying to dock.I guess it might not be a problem if you don't have kids on the boat.Just my .02.

Tom

andystratts
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 08 February 2006 at 11:32pm | IP Logged

Gabby,

Please keep in mind, When the boat was not having problems....we loved it. The performance, layout, etc. were great.But....PLEASE  keep your eyes wide open to the issues I mentioned to avoid future headaches. Test everything. My windlass was replaced twice and the same problem returned. There is nothing like lying on the foredeck manually feeding rope into your power windlass while operating the motor in a 20 knot blow at a raftup with boats all around you or while waiting to tie up at a raft up and one or both of your engines goes into alarm intermittently.... again, I don't want to keep going there...but.. my problems were all very real and I find it hard to believe that my boat was "the exception" I babied that boat and spared no expense in keeping her perfect. Just make sure if this is the one you want, get a thorough inspection ( from a qualified Sea Ray mechanic)

Twin Yamaha F150
"The Fire Escape II"
Gabby
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 09 February 2006 at 9:06am | IP Logged
Would like to thank everyone for their replies. I will have the boat tested with the issues mentioned. Regarding the sliding door, do you know if the rollers can be replaced without taking the door off???
andystratts
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 09 February 2006 at 10:30am | IP Logged

Gabby,

No.the door must be removed. Believe me I looked into it when mine broke...Again, try to find a top notch Sea Ray dealer tech to do the survey on your boat. Preferably from another dealer. He will have the most experience with the inherent problems I discussed with you and will give you the best judgment call on the quality of your 280. Best of luck to you and I am sorry for having to share all my "not pleasant memories"

Twin Yamaha F150
"The Fire Escape II"
Sundancer 300
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 09 February 2006 at 11:26am | IP Logged

I had a sliding door on a 25 SR  that was always hard to open and close....I just bought a 300  and it doesnt have one..I am glad..

DIXIEJAZZ UPPER MISS. RIVER
Gabby
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 13 February 2006 at 11:44am | IP Logged
Just received word from Sea Ray regarding door. Andystratts was right, this is a major teardown. Windshield, helm seat, dash, shifter, etc. must be removed. I guess this will make up my mind about the boat.
andystratts
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 13 February 2006 at 6:43pm | IP Logged

Gabyy,

Believe me. Everything I posted is a fact. I have no intention of "trashing" Sea Ray, only sharing my experience. Take my advice to the letter- whatever you buy. I am only trying to spare you the potential headaches I had...

Twin Yamaha F150
"The Fire Escape II"

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register