Product Reviews

Subject
Topic: Cleaning Plastic Windows
dougit
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 18 March 2006 at 8:53pm | IP Logged
    I have been told using Pledge Spray Furniture Polish on  clear plastic windows will keep them clean, soft and plyable. Anyone use it for theirs?  
Kenpcfl
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 18 March 2006 at 10:24pm | IP Logged

No, I havn't used Pledge.  I personally wouldn't risk it on my expensive Isinglass, even though there will be people who recommend it. 

I use 210 --a product from Sumner Labs, and available at most boating stores.  It works...and it works well  --one can will last the season.  Try it... and you will see better.

Edited by Kenpcfl on 18 March 2006 at 10:27pm
Ken

'05 Regal 3560 IB   "Mystic Sun"

MikeeH
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 18 March 2006 at 10:57pm | IP Logged
Another vote here for 210.  Its the only stuff I use.
Now that I'm wise enough to know better I'm old enough not to give a damn.
Presentation
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 19 March 2006 at 9:01am | IP Logged
Use Plexus like a glass cleaner. Just spray and wipe.
Digitalsilver
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 19 March 2006 at 9:04am | IP Logged
I would saty away from Pledge.  Some manufacturers explicitly say NOT to use it.  The oils and probable solvents in it are not good for the vinyl.  210 was purpose developed and does a great job.
TranquilityBase
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 19 March 2006 at 9:33am | IP Logged
I hose down the plastic windows with plain water to get as much dirt off as possible.  I then was them with a face cloth imersed in warm water with a small amount of dish detergent.  Then a rinse with plain water.

Some of my windows are approaching 10 years old.  They don't look brand new any more, but visibility through them is still very good and they certainly don't need to be replaced yet.

Last year I spoke with the woman who runs the canvas shop that did my bridge enclosure 8 years before.   She highly recommended Plexus for the clear plastic.  When I told her how I clean them she practically had a cow.  Then I walked her over to the boat to have a look for herself.

Now she's confused.
SwampNut
BoatUS Member
BoatUS Member
Posted: 20 March 2006 at 12:13am | IP Logged
Keeping them clean is half the battle.  Dish soap is provably not as good as Plexus or others, but leaving the grime on there is bad too.  So if you are diligent about cleaning, even with sub-optimal products, it's better than a rare cleaning with an optimal product.

Mariner Joe
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 20 March 2006 at 12:17pm | IP Logged
I'm with TranquilityBase...hose them down first to get as much dirt off as possible.  Then I dry them with a chamois and apply a product such as Plexus or 210.
Miss Michelle - 2002 Carver 350 Mariner

Dusty Rhoads
BoatUS Member
BoatUS Member
Posted: 20 March 2006 at 10:02pm | IP Logged
We switched last yr. to Imar products for the cleaner and the wax. I was surprised how much dirt was on my cloth comparing the two. We do have strataglas, and they changed their recomendation to this product, so we thought we would try it.   We are also in the medical prof. and use lap sponges for our cleaning cloths. (these are what are used in surgery to soak up blood, and are totally lint free).   If you know someone in a hosp. OR, they are thrown away on many surgeries, never being used. ? maybe I should start selling them!!!   cheap
-- Moon River --

karoshi
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 21 March 2006 at 10:30pm | IP Logged

Any glass cleaner with ammonia should never be used since it will breakdown the plastic and visibility will be effected. I tried a new product to clean up the fine scratches. The name was PLASTX from Meguiar's, it is excellent.

davefin
BoatUS Member
BoatUS Member
Posted: 22 March 2006 at 7:52am | IP Logged
My recommendation is also 210.  Been boating for over 25 years.  Used all of the available cleaners.  Found 210 about seven years ago.  In my opinion it's the best.  Important to keep the isinglass clean.  Rinse only with plain water and lightly towel dry.....then apply 210 and again lightly dry.  Use soft clean towels only.
SeaRay 310DAChrissie B 2"Always remember, you are unique, just like everyone else"
wkearney99
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 22 March 2006 at 8:29am | IP Logged
Dusty Rhoads wrote:
We switched last yr. to Imar products for the cleaner and the wax.  
Switched from what product previously?
Dusty Rhoads
BoatUS Member
BoatUS Member
Posted: 22 March 2006 at 6:01pm | IP Logged
I was washing with reg. water, drying and then twice a yr. was using Collinite 925 wax on the panels.   Always worked well, but Strataglas changed , so I changed with them.   With 23 panels, it is something that I prefer to do as few times as neccesary.
-- Moon River --

Wicked Good
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 25 March 2006 at 5:55pm | IP Logged
I have used pledge for years as a recommendation from the company that installed by top and glass years ago.  Trick is to clean the salt and dirt off with a hose prior to wiping anything on it.  Windows look as new after seven years.  I use pledge on my convertible glass as well.
Five
BoatUS Member
BoatUS Member
Posted: 25 March 2006 at 8:24pm | IP Logged
I use Meguiar's #17 Mirror Glaze Plastic Cleaner.  It cleans and removes fine scratches from plastic and acrylics.
Edited by Five on 25 March 2006 at 8:24pm
Chimoii
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 05 April 2006 at 7:34am | IP Logged

Many years ago Pledge was the general advice and I used it religiously on our old Carver.  The result was good for about 7 years and then cracks occurred and and finally replacement.

Now entering year 9 with the B-W and the glass is almost good as new after sticking with 210 from the beginning.

Great  Stuff!

Chimo - An Inuit greeting - "Welcome!". Also used as "Cheers" in some parts of Canada
karoshi
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 05 April 2006 at 8:26am | IP Logged

I believe in many cases that the damage to the plastic windows is associated with the frequency they are unzipped and stored on the boat. If you unzip the windows every time you use the boat I guarantee that your windows will look take a beating.

There is a boat beside mine that never removes the side windows and after 5 years they still look great.

I think part B is how you store the plastic sections.

proveick
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 05 April 2006 at 10:02am | IP Logged
Where do you buy this 210?  RP
davefin
BoatUS Member
BoatUS Member
Posted: 05 April 2006 at 1:59pm | IP Logged
Most marine supply stores have it.  Boaters World for one.  I bought six cans of it on line direct from the manufacturer at a substantial savings, even after paying shipping.  I do not remember the manufacturers name, but you can do what I did....search "210" on the Web.  Good luck, it's a great product.
SeaRay 310DAChrissie B 2"Always remember, you are unique, just like everyone else"
proveick
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 05 April 2006 at 3:04pm | IP Logged

I found the company - their online store link does not work right now, will try later in the week. http://www.armadacoatings.com/products.htm

PBlais
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 05 April 2006 at 4:44pm | IP Logged

If you have STratglas installed then use their product. I recently switched to Meguiar's  Plastic cleaner in a spry pump bottle. They also make the scrath remover and the polish that are more of a creeam but for heavier duty.

The pump spray is very effective and easy. I work a smll area and spray some and use a soft spounge and work it over the area then before it dries wipe with a soft towel till it shines. I cleaned 9 year old plastic on the dodger and Lexan ports and hatches with it and it was great. Available at Boat US.

This is just the cleaner so if you need to frepair scratches the other products in the line do that. I was just amazed at how quick and easy this was. Far better than Pledge.

MikeeH
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 05 April 2006 at 9:49pm | IP Logged

You can buy Armada 210 here:

http://www.boatfix.com/bykeywordnew2.asp?textfield=armada+21 0&texttype=2&submit=Search

Now that I'm wise enough to know better I'm old enough not to give a damn.
ruslin1224
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 08 April 2006 at 6:35am | IP Logged
Here is another vote for 210. Been using it for 10 years Great stuff for isenglass. I get mine at my local auto glass installer. Have strataglas on the front and use Aquatech cleaner followed by Collinite's # 845 wax. Was told by my canvas man, not to use 210 on Strataglas and definately not to use Pledge on any of it. My wife picked up a roll of Sunbrella, put some snaps on it and we use it for a front cover whenever we are in port or anchored. Keeps the Strataglas in new condition.

Still looking for Paradise on the
"KOKOMO XPRESS" 1996 SeaRay 330 DA

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register