Repairs & Maintenance

Subject
Topic: Get white haze off Gel coat
steve94
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 25 April 2007 at 7:52pm | IP Logged
So I've got a 26 foot bowrider painted almost full black on the sides.Its 4 years old now,and despite washing and waxing it periodically...and having the shop do a heavy duty cleaning and waxing...It still gets very dull and
developes a white hazy kinda look on the black sides.
Anyone have a real good suggestion on how to get it back to a nice shiny luster? I've used some of th 3m boat waxes and washes...Who knows the best wax or repair polish ot there?   By the way,my boat is outside in my dock with a roof over it...but the sun is brutal on the sides for part of the day.Thanks
RCook
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 25 April 2007 at 8:34pm | IP Logged
A very thorough washing, then 3M Finesse-It, then a proper waxing.
Edited by RCook on 27 April 2007 at 6:06pm
Richard Cook
New Moon (Bounty 257)
"Cruising in a Big Way"
Young Again
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 25 April 2007 at 9:46pm | IP Logged

Collinite 920 cleaner, followed by 925 wax.  The cleaner is amazing.  West Marine.

1989 Searay 280DA
Spice Sea
"The other woman"

foggysail
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 26 April 2007 at 8:46am | IP Logged

My boat had a bad case of dull white oxidation. FinessIt along with a coat of paste wax brought the luster back. You need a good buffer for the FinessIt.

Foggy

maryner
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 17 May 2007 at 9:23pm | IP Logged
ve had very good resluts from 3m heavy oxidation compund, postly using a good wax for protection.I dont prefer the wheel with this, as the compound tends to clot on the wheel.  At least by hand, you can continuously turn the rag
180Shabah
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 20 May 2007 at 12:09am | IP Logged

We use all different brands, I really like the Meguiar's products for light oxidation issues. Being only four years old, even in ATL, I doubt you will need anything to strong. I would suggest thier One step compound #67, it is fairly aggressive, but it has deminishing molecules, so it goes from course to fine to polish as you use it. This greatly reduces the risk of burning through your gelcoat. Immediately after you need to wax, and use at least two coats of a good paste wax. I don't know often you usually wax your boat (I do mine twice a year), you may need to do it as often as every 6-8 weeks due to the air polution around Atlanta combined with UV exposure.

Just make sure you post before and after pics.

John

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register