DIY - Do It Yourself Projects

Subject
Topic: Marine carpet glue, or home depot?
stephentyler20
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 27 February 2008 at 10:46am | IP Logged
I'm redoing the carpeting in my boat cockpit (a 120 sq ft area, basically square). The mating surface is fiberglass.

I have two options for adhesive.

1) For $30/gallon, I can get "marine carpet glue" from any number of typical marine outlets (West Marine, e.g.). This does NOT include shipping, so call it $40/gallon. From what I can see, primary attributes of "marine carpet glue" include waterproof after curing, solvent free/nonflammable, applications on wood/fiberglass/metal, safe for rubber backed carpeting.

West marine link
2) For $13/gallon, I can go to home depot (substitute any home improvement store), and get "premium indoor/outdoor carpet adhesive". They advertise this also has being nonflammable/solvent free, safe for high-traffic areas where water is present (waterproof), etc. Sounds very similar, and I don't have to pay shipping.

Home Depot Link

So should I pay the extra cash to have "marine" glue, or am I smart to get the stuff from home depot? 
21' 1988 Wellcraft 210 Classic
5.0 Litre Mercruiser I/O
rwidman
BoatUS Member
BoatUS Member
Posted: 27 February 2008 at 2:19pm | IP Logged

Considering the cost in time and materials for the entire job, it's a small difference to pay.  Often, the carpeted areas of a boat don't get the same ventilation as areas where you would normally install indor-outdoor carpet.  There could be mold/mildew issues or any number of other issues.

If you buy the marine adhesive from a local store you shouldn't have to pay shipping.

Ron
2000 Camano Troll - High Cotton

parkrode360
BoatUS Member
BoatUS Member
Posted: 28 February 2008 at 10:32am | IP Logged
I'd try and use snaps instead.
"Bright Star"
Rinker 360 EC

Twin Volvo Penta 8.1L EFI OSi/XDP 375HP
stephentyler20
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 28 February 2008 at 7:27pm | IP Logged
rwidman wrote:

Considering the cost in time and materials for the entire job, it's a small difference to pay.  Often, the carpeted areas of a boat don't get the same ventilation as areas where you would normally install indor-outdoor carpet.  There could be mold/mildew issues or any number of other issues.

If you buy the marine adhesive from a local store you shouldn't have to pay shipping.

Thanks. I ended up finding some for less money online with free shipping. Couldn't find any place locally that sold it that cheap.

I would do snap-in, but my boat is a carpeted cockpit type. It's glassed in wood throughout the ENTIRE cockpit, so to get that fixed up would require a ton of sanding, epoxy, etc to get it looking good. I'd rather just throw some new carpeting in!
5.0 Litre Mercruiser I/O
Ocean Spray
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 01 March 2008 at 9:17pm | IP Logged
For the cost difference, I would go with the marine version. There may be fumes from the HD stuff and not in the marine version. I would worry about lingering fumes from the cheaper stuff, at least with the marine stuff its designed (Usually) for marine use. Just my 2cents.Big smile
Ocean Spray II
Sarasota,Fl.
cbavier
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 03 March 2008 at 9:20am | IP Logged

[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I ended up finding some for less money online with free shipping. Couldn't find any place locally that sold it that cheap.

I would do snap-in, but my boat is a carpeted cockpit type. It's glassed in wood throughout the ENTIRE cockpit, so to get that fixed up would require a ton of sanding, epoxy, etc to get it looking good. I'd rather just throw some new carpeting in!
[/QUOTE]
Chuck      
"OWN-IT"
cbavier
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 03 March 2008 at 9:22am | IP Logged

[[/QUOTE]

I'd rather just throw some new carpeting in!
[/QUOTE]

What did you find and where did you find it. I too need some.

Do you have a Web Link? Thanks in advance

Chuck      
"OWN-IT"
wkearney99
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 04 March 2008 at 8:18am | IP Logged
Yeah, I'd worry about what gets 'out gassed' from any sort of solvents, glues or paints when used in an enclosed space like a boat cabin. I'd make sure to specifically check for it's suitability for indoor use. And be prepared to ventilate it THOROUGHLY both when applying it and for quite a while afterward. It's bad enough getting seasick from just the motion, you don't want to add getting nauseated from the the on-going vapors.
--Bill Kearney, 2005 Four Winns 348 Vista
stephentyler20
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 12 March 2008 at 8:38pm | IP Logged
cbavier wrote:
What did you find and where did you find it. I too need some.

Do you have a Web Link? Thanks in advance  

Sorry for the delay...

The company is Monster Pontoon (www.monsterpontoon.com), BUT I must warn you... I ordered 2 gallons on 2/27/08. They charged my credit card on 3/4/08. They never sent me an e-mail to say it was shipping (which they say they will do), and no one answered the phone when I called, about 10 times over the course of 2 days. Finally the guy called me back, and told me "the glue was to be delivered that day, but UPS told them it was damaged in delivery and was being returned to sender." I said fine, send another shipment, but clearly asked him to send me the tracking # this time.

That was... 1.5 or 2 weeks ago, and I STILL haven't received a tracking number, haven't received the glue, and they haven't returned my phone calls.

In short, it wasn't worth saving the few dollars/gallon and free shipping to get such awful service. I have no idea whether to expect to ever get the glue from them, but I will post with what happens.

5.0 Litre Mercruiser I/O
foggysail
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 19 March 2008 at 9:39pm | IP Logged

Last year I did the cockpit in my boat. The size was about 9X12. I selected a carpet from Lowes at a cost somewhere around $7-8/linear foot (12' wide). Next I made a pattern of the deck, cut the stuff using my electric hot knife and installed it. No glue, no snaps and the stuff does not move!

The hot knife sealed the carpet edges so there is no unravelling. Looks great, inexpensive at less than $100 including sales tax and when it gets to look ugly or Wifey gets sick of it, I'll redo the thing again.

If you use an adhesive, you may regret it later.

Edited by foggysail on 19 March 2008 at 9:40pm
jkmccoy
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 19 March 2008 at 10:49pm | IP Logged

Foggy,

I don't understand your description of the carpet installation. I understand that a hot knife seals the cut edges and prevents unravelling, but what did you use to hold the carpet down to the sole?

Cheers,

Kelly McCoy

Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer.
foggysail
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 20 March 2008 at 8:20am | IP Logged

Kelly--

The size of the carpet itself prevents movement. Couple that with the deck furniture, this stuff is almost like being glued. I have no turning up around the edges at all.

I expect this to last for years but my aft deck is covered so that is an advantage. OK, so the thing lacks a binding around the edges but for $100 vs $500+, I can change the stuff often and maintain a good appearance. I do  highly recommend that the edges be sealed though or it will unravel.

Foggy

EDIT: Kelly, my boat is a 1990 40' Silverton aftcabin

Edited by foggysail on 20 March 2008 at 8:22am
KGryfon
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 05 May 2008 at 3:16pm | IP Logged

Foggysail - what kind of a hot knife did you use to cut the carpet?  Looking online I see a wide variety of types (and costs!)

Thanks,

Kathy

74 SeaStar
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 29 September 2008 at 10:24pm | IP Logged
I redid the carpet on the floor of my boat. My original carpet was the indoor/outdoor type. My boat is a 1974, and the carpet felt like little spikes when your feet were wet. (OUCH!) So, I went to Menards last summer and bought some indoor/outdoor carpet, but not the plastic type pile, this is like actual carpet. I laid my new carpet on top the old carpet and put the seats down on it, and it has not moved one bit! It does hold a bit more water than I like, but it dries eventually....
Sue
brendan4864
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 08 January 2009 at 6:05am | IP Logged
When carpeting your boat I used pretty cheap carpet tiles but I am still very satisfied with them. I would be very careful with the carpet glue the less you use the easier you will get the carpet off you you want to chang it again.

CherBo
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 08 January 2009 at 9:36am | IP Logged

< =text/>_popupControl(); Sue, I would be very carefull about putting carpet on top of carpet.  This is an invite to mold and mildue/

Bob

Bob
CherBo - 1980 Viking 43MY
foggysail
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 20 January 2009 at 8:06pm | IP Logged
KGryfon wrote:

Foggysail - what kind of a hot knife did you use to cut the carpet?  Looking online I see a wide variety of types (and costs!)

Thanks,

Kathy  

Kathy-- SORRY about being SLOW. Somehow I just revisited this thread and saw your question. The hot knife I used is pricey. Check it out at Rochford's upholstery web site. Their cost is $175 there about. But you can easily fabricate one using an old Weller soldering gun.

The reason for my purchase was I needed something to cut Sunbrella that prevented fraying. This tool makes a nice cut and the fabric does not fray. I did all my own canvas work and that for a friend. I did his canvas, he did my counter tops in Wifey's kitchen with Corean.

Foggy

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register