Boater's Connection

Subject
Topic: Marathon Boat Owners Group
Norm_Richards
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 15 November 2011 at 10:07am | IP Logged

Well Dan.. exhaust water should come out of the outdrive top.. not from the prop area.

1) If the manifold is not warm enough for the thermostat to open you might not get water out. 

2) Might have a sediment blockage in the 3/4 hose to the   or exhaust emanifold or elbow.. this is getting a bit more common in older engines due to buildup of sediment over the years that is not exhausted out in the water.

(Feel the hoses, if they are hard to squeeze, it might have a buildup in sediment), 

The cooling system diagram is a follows:

Here is an online Manual.. Section 6A page 24 shows the cooling system cycle (Mercruiser 305/350Cid: V8 Alpha.

http://www.youblisher.com/files/publications/29/169005/pdf.p df

Make sure you pull the rad hose off the water pump: to drain the water that stays in the bottom elbow of the hoses.. and put in some anti-freeze.. especially the hose off the water pump on the battery side..

Norm Richards
Marathon Boat Owners Group - Member #7
1989 Marathon Bermuda Sport 2550 "Vintage Haven"
DantheMan
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 16 November 2011 at 8:20pm | IP Logged
Thanks Norm. I probaby just didn't let it arm up enough. I made sure to pull hoses off water pump and add anti-freeze.
jim831
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 18 December 2011 at 8:43am | IP Logged

New Member from Massachusetts needs help

I just bought a 1987 weekender. I'm looking for another weekender owner that may have a picture of the entrance way floor to the cabin. My boat has a drop off from the cockpit floor to the cabin floor. It seems there should be a step or something in this area to close it off? My boat's a 1987 Weekender. here's a pic of the boat.

Norm_Richards
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 18 December 2011 at 12:45pm | IP Logged

Nice looking boat Jim..  and welcome Sir. 

Looking at the pictures of owner Weekenders in here, I see that is there only one full pic showing the entrance to the cockpit.. (Bob "D"'s weelender cockpit entrance shown below: )(85 Weekender):

Clear to see that there is that "stepdown".  Don't know if that is stock or if there ever was a pop-in type foot step. Perhaps you can fabricate a small portable drop in step that hangs/clips to the sides?

Weekender owners out there (Bob, Christopher, Tracy, Jay, Sean, Luis)  please help on this one..  

James, I took a peruse of the boat albums in my webshots - you can take a look.. perhaps there is a better picture there but I don't see any kind of a step down..Take a gander at my webshots albums... (Direct link there is:  http://community.webshots.com/user/nbrich1). The MBOG albums are clearly labelled with the models shown.

Norm Richards
Norm_Richards
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 18 December 2011 at 12:58pm | IP Logged

PS: Sir James!!, Glad you made it here and good job setting up the "webshots".

So Officially Sir James Bird of Danvers, you are the 68th Marathon owner to dawn in the Marathon Boat Owners Group forum..(glad the links to here .. and to the docs site on webs worked).

Lots of pages in here and pics too.. and again lots of pics on the webshots, doc's/other stuff on the webs site.  Again welcome James.. and congratulations on your new vessel.. boat looks in great shape.

Norm Richards
jim831
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 18 December 2011 at 1:21pm | IP Logged

Thanks Norm. Maybe someone will chime in. Does anyone know where I can find information on the OMC V6 engine in my boat? I need to ensure it's winterized correctly.

Thanks,

Jim

OldTownGal
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 18 December 2011 at 8:32pm | IP Logged

Just wanted to hop in here for a moment, and let ya's all know that I do think of you all often!!

Bob was really sad that we parted with our 24-ft Marathon, but it was just too much boat for him for that river, and he doesn't always have a boating partner....   so, he's been out alot this past season on his newer 18-ft Quest.  It's alot easier to maneuver in small places, and I am more at ease too when he's out there alone.

We'd like to wish U all a very

MERRY     CHRISTMAS

& a HAPPY NEW YEAR 2012 !!! 

<<<  Hugsssssss & clicks from Dianna & Bob  >>> 

Dianna Lynn
Marathon Boat Owner Group Member #20
RWHITE1948
BoatUS Member
BoatUS Member
Posted: 18 December 2011 at 10:14pm | IP Logged

Hey gang, I just want to wisk everyone a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Ronald White.

Norm_Richards
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 19 December 2011 at 3:08pm | IP Logged

Well Jim... Winterizing.. Can always be an issue if it's not all drained. Freeze can damage the block.. (or even crack it!)

Part A

1)   Hook up the earmuffs and run the engine to warm.. Put in some gas stabilizer in the gas tank.

2)   When the engine is a bit warm, pull off the carb cover/filter and spray in defog… lots of defog oil.. rev the eng @ 1500 rpm and smoother the carb in defog until it chokes out the engine.

Part B – (Letting the engine cool off!!)

While you’re engine is cooling off!!  Time for the water tanks/ lines/pump/head drain..

To drain the water tank, Turn on the electric pump and open the taps at the sink and washroom.. run till dry.. After dry, I put some RV antifreeze in the water tank.. and run the pump again.. till the antifreeze comes out the taps.. then you know that the lines are free of water or diluted with antifreeze so they don’t crack.

Don’t know if you use the head.. but if you use it .. need to drain- usually a drain plug on the bottom side of the head.. Unscrew to drain.. . (Hope you got the head pumped out already.. (If it was full).. I add a touch of RV antifreeze in the bowl..

You’ll find a water filter/motor in the engine compartment.. on the bow side of the engine compartment.. removed the plastic cap and screen filter.. c(Give the filter a good rinse off and replace.. replace the plastic cap (Screw-on)

Now to the Engine: - AFTER COOL!!

(I have an open cooling system (no rad), - yours is probably the same) but if you have a rad (Closed cooling system) check antifreeze content in the rad...

1) You'll have to check on the sides of the engine block.. Might be 4 block plugs (possibly six) on yours that need to be removed, water drained out of the block/manifold then plugs put back in.

(Mine is a v8 and the block has a total of six block plugs: three on each side of the engine along the sides of the manifold.

The block plugs need to be removed (unscrew).. water drained and plugs reapplied. If you get your head in there, you will be able to see the block plugs fairly easily: stick out @ ½ inch to ¾ inch from the manifold.  

(Note: Very important: After removing the block plugs, get a 3' inch (or so) nail and push it into the block plug openings to remove debris/rust etc (buildup of junk) that may have sealed or blocked the water from draining out of those block openings.).

2) Rad hoses: the bend in my lower hose seems to catch/hold water in the lower elbow of the hose: (again, I refer to my V8) - The lower rad hose on the port side of the engine: which runs between the water pump and the block can hold water.. Don’t know if the OMC 6Cyl has a similar setup but no matter: keep an eye on the hoses for catch points where water could get trapped. I remove that rad hose (top is easier) and bend down the hose to drain out the water then put in some antifreeze into the hose and reapply it to the water pump.  

3) Unhook/disconnect the batteries

4) Lower unit Gear oil – should change on the outdrive.. 2 screws.. drain the oil completely and refill with Gear oil: standard or Hi-viscosity gear oil. Fill with new gear oil from the bottom screw opening until it runs out at the top screw opening. (Ensures that there is no water/moisture content in the lower unit and provides renewed lubrication for the lower unit gears for the next boating season)

5) I change engine oil/filter every 2nd yr.. add this to the list if you haven’t had it done for a bit.. (can be done in the spring)

Hmmm, did I forgot anything else?? Stabilizer/Engine/Water System/Lower Unit: I think that’s it Jim and gives you enough info to be able to start winterize vessel… if any doubt or have any problems, get a marine mechanic to do it.. the last thing you want is an engine with a cracked block!!.  

Norm Richards
Norm_Richards
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 19 December 2011 at 3:21pm | IP Logged

Nice to hear from you MS Bell & Bob .. and his "Quest" to boat!!

And Ronald as well.

The foum has been very quiet the last couple of months but tis the season to wish all the members of this forum, both past and present, a Blessed and Merry Christmas and Happy New Years.

CHRISTmas Trees

I will be making a conscious effort to wish everyone a Merry Christmas this year ...

My way of saying that I am celebrating the birth Of

Jesus Christ.

Merry Christmas to All.

Additonally to Sir Dolf, who shares the same birth date on a very special date that seems to get somewhat overshadowed, (I won't forget Dolf), To You also A very very Happy Birthday on December 25th

Norm Richards
DOLFV
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 24 December 2011 at 10:25am | IP Logged

Merry Christmas to all.

And to Norm " Happy Birthday" on the 25th.

Dolf

ketchum kid
BoatUS Member
BoatUS Member
Posted: 24 December 2011 at 10:57am | IP Logged
Fellow Marathoners,
   Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Happy Kwanzaa,and
     Happy Festivus for the restofus.
Norm, the picture cards are great, thank you.

Steve

"If the course is hard, still steer."
Cobalt 272
jim831
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 24 December 2011 at 9:06pm | IP Logged

Hi everyone. I'm in need of some help from the weekender crowd. I've recently got hold of a weekender that needs a little work. One item is the engine cover. It isn't attached to the deck and just slides around all over the place. Is it suppose to be on hinges or secured some other way? I also need to make a new back panel that's on each side of the engine. The previous owner said it was rotted so he removed it but never replaced it. I'd like to fabricate a replacement. Does anybody have any detailed pictures of what this looked like and how it was mounted? Measurements would be greatl.

Happy Holidays everyone.

Jim

Norm_Richards
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 26 December 2011 at 11:44am | IP Logged

Well Jim...(Happy Holidays to you & yours).

Going though the pics... There are a few pics that might help a bit but added info is still required.  A few of the engine cover on & off plus pics of the back panels..

Firstly, Luis - 87 Weekender appears to have a small lip or frame extending up slightly on the base of the floor, whereas the engine cover would nest over. Can't really tell in these pics how it would affix to the rear frame.

Bob's 1985 Weekender: Has what appears to be two latches on the floor that would latch onto the engine cover once in place. Bob's appears to have the shelf behind with seating.

Now the Sportfish has a very simular setup.

Sir Watson's engine cover pictured below again has all small frame around the engine compartment in which the cover would nest. Jim, what fastens the cover so that it stays in place??

Also have one Pic of Scott's Engine cover.. on his 89 Sportfish..  but again, can't really see what would clip and hold the cover in place...  Help Scott?  

Back to the Weekender.. Jay's 87 - Engine Cover Affixed.. Help Jay? ..

Ok... Weekender & Sportfish owners - need your help concerning the Engine Cover. Thanks in advance...

Norm Richards
whmmer
BoatUS Member
BoatUS Member
Posted: 26 December 2011 at 1:38pm | IP Logged
The 1" x 1" strip of wood in front of the engine cover keeps the cover pressed up against the transom. Never had a problem of it staying in place without any fasteners.
Member # 4 Liquid Asset
"B.O.A.T." - Break Out Another Thousand

Minister of Justice and Law
madmax356
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 28 December 2011 at 4:57pm | IP Logged

Hi all, 

On my boat, the little wood strip up front holds the cover in place.  It's a tight fit getting the cover over the strip and then down onto the floor.  Once in place it does not move.  The cover does have a black gasket that runs all around the cover where the cover opening contacts the floor and transom. This gasket would be critical in getting a secure fit.  I don't have any additional pictures. 

jim831
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 28 December 2011 at 7:31pm | IP Logged

Thank you whmmer and madmax. Your info was very helpful. I can see now how the engine box would stay in place againest the back wall and the wood floor strip.

Jim

Norm_Richards
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 31 December 2011 at 7:16pm | IP Logged

Well another year is coming to a close and with that an opportunity to thank all for being a part of this group of boaters with Marathon and boating as our initial common interest. 

Best wishes for a safe, healthy, Happy New Year to you and your families and all the best in 2012.

Norm Richards
Qunay
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 01 February 2012 at 5:56pm | IP Logged
All the same on deck and engine. Any info you have to help
would be appreciated.
"If the course is hard, still steer."
yemek tarifleri
ronk
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 10 February 2012 at 6:10am | IP Logged

hello gentle men my name is Ron and i am purchasing my first marathon boat. its a 1985 2200 sportfish with a 260hp volvo motor and outdrive. this is my first i/o so any and all info would be GREATLY appreciated. i have not been able to find any service manual online. i would really like to find the all the spec's i could for the boat.

thank you,

Ron

whmmer
BoatUS Member
BoatUS Member
Posted: 10 February 2012 at 8:18am | IP Logged
Welcome Ron,

I doubt there exits a better resource than this site for information on your
Marathon. Take a cold Wisconsin weekend to work your way through these
108 pages. You'll get answers to many of your questions and references to
many more resources. Again, welcome.

Jim
Member # 4 Liquid Asset

Norm_Richards
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 10 February 2012 at 9:35am | IP Logged
ronk wrote:

hello gentle men my name is Ron and i am purchasing my first marathon boat. its a 1985 2200 sportfish with a 260hp volvo motor and outdrive. this is my first i/o so any and all info would be GREATLY appreciated. i have not been able to find any service manual online. i would really like to find the all the spec's i could for the boat.

thank you,

Ron

Hey Ron.. Welcome to being a Marathon Owner. You probally won't find a "Marathon" Manual online since the vessels have been OObiz for over 20 yrs.. however, you will be able to find stuff on the individual components like the engine, outdrive, fridge, head etc... 

Specs and stuff we have... and even a scan of the original Marathon Brochure from 86.. which will be almost identical to your 85 for the Sportfish model.

This is the forum for comfabs n stuff.. but we also have alot of documents, specs n stuff on our documents site at webs.com.. Here is the link.. Take a look and download whatever you want. http://marathonboatownersgroup.webs.com/

If you can't find what you want just let me know what you need and we'll go on a hunt for it. (EZither via this foprum or email (norm_richards@hotmail.com). Like I may be able to find a link to the engine manual or outdrive.. etc.

Again welcome Ron.

Norm Richards
ronk
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 10 February 2012 at 9:47am | IP Logged

thank youvery much for all your info.....

i think the most important thing i need to fix right away is the two front windows. its stored inside at the moment but spring is on its way. the boat is not neglected just not maintained well. i am really looking forward to the restoration process even more after the amazing pictures ive seen here.

thanks again

Ron

ronk
Forum Member
Forum Member
PainKiller
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 10 February 2012 at 1:43pm | IP Logged
Welcome, Ron

I just replaced the front windows on my 2350 Sunblazer.  Its an easy job if you've got the tools and skills.  If you have to replace the weatherstripping, don't start until you have all the materials on hand. My old weatherstrip shrunk and leaked around the corners.  This weather strip is not available but I
did find a service that will make the exact profile at a reasonable cost. 

If anyone is interested, I can put together a deal to have some made.  I also have the pattern for the 2350 Sunblazer  front glass.

If there is enough interest, I can put together a package that includes the plexi cut to size, in choice of three shades, special 3M sealing tape, new weatherstrip, special flat nuts that go on the backside and instructions.

You will have to remove one window and send me a paper pattern unless I would already have it from someone else.  The only special tool you will need is a heat gun.

I have a CNC Panel router to cut the plexi.  It will come with protective film on both sides.  There are special nuts on the back side that you may be able to salvage but probably not.  There is a 3M tape that I used which is your real seal from weather.  It works better and lasts longer than caulk.  It is used to mount windows on skyscrapers.  Stainless screws can be included if you want.  Prices would depend on quantity of orders. 

I'll be bringing my boat into the shop on Feb 25th to begin this year's projects.  All of my records are in the boat.  I'll be able to list the costs then.

Otherwise,  welcome to the Marathon world.  Plan to visit us on Lake Mendota. 

Scott
Norm_Richards
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 10 February 2012 at 1:49pm | IP Logged

Ron: Thanks for the info on your "NEW" vessel & link to the pics. Have updated our owner's list.. and for the record, You are the 69th Marathon Owner to attend in this forum.

Ok did a quick search on your engine which should be a AQ260..  Looks like there is quite a few links to online manuals which you can download as PDF for your own reference.

Here is just one of the direct links to an owners manual for Volvo Penta 260HP between 1980-85 - AQ260A)  (downloadable PDF file almost 8 mg) Link:

www.thestraycat.net/files/Volvo%20Penta%20Owners%20Manual.pdf

On our documents site on webs:  (http://marathonboatownersgroup.webs.com/apps/links/)

have also linked some good resources to Volvo/parts, servicing, repairs etc which can be of assistance... 

PS: For All... still looking for any original Marathon Brochures for the various years.. (Just a scan of the pages for posting here and on the documents site on webs..... If you happen to find any, or have one that might have come with your boat, please keep us in mind.. It would be appreciated.

Norm Richards
Norm_Richards
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 10 February 2012 at 2:06pm | IP Logged

Man, Your good Scott... Thanks for your willing to help. And good luck on your new boat project at the end of the month.

Hope all are having a good (Lighter than usual) winter... (Well here in most of Southern Ontario, in the Toronto area, winter is much lighter than usual and it's already mid February!. )

Boating season is just about round the corner.. not quite.. but soon: my boat is still in winter hibernation: safely secure in it's cocoon..!! 

Hopefully in a couple months the start of the 2012 boating season will be underway.  Since the forum is slowly starting up in prep for the new season.. new owners, new vessels etc: here is just a few shots of my boating close down and cocooning last fall; which brings good memories of last year's boating season.

Norm Richards
Norm_Richards
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 10 February 2012 at 2:42pm | IP Logged

For all who might miss Ron's Ebay Pic link: Here are the pictures of Ron's NEW 1985 Marathon Sportfish 2200:

Again Congratulations on your new Vessel Ron & Welcome to this group of Marathoners.

Norm Richards
ronk
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 10 February 2012 at 7:50pm | IP Logged

wow you guys are fantastic thank you for all the info.....

i cant wait to to spring to start working on it. im searching the web now for different ways to paint it. its been a long time since its had any attention to the hull. my plan is to take this summer getting restoring it and maybe by fall putting it in the water.

Ron

neobrett
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 11 February 2012 at 1:20pm | IP Logged
Scott,

Count me in as someone definitely interested in the new window kit you
mentioned above. I have a 2550 Bermuda Express (1988) and am in
the process of restoring/customizing it now.

I'm in the process of prepping it for new paint right now, and have
removed all the teak for refinishing. I have also removed all the seats
for replacement. I'm concentrating on the outside first, but I am also
customizing the aft cabin so that its bigger for my wife & I to sleep in.
Heading down to Ft. Myers Beach, FL end of March, so I have a
deadline to make :)

The windows on the boat definitely need to be replaced - one is even
broke. I really appreciate the fact that you're willing to share your
experience & expertise with us.

The mild winter has really aided me in getting a quick start on my
project - however, I was really planning on doing a lot today, but it's in
the low 30's with 20-30 winds here in Atlanta today . . . . no sanding for
me today :(
ronk
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 12 February 2012 at 6:03am | IP Logged

i wont be able to get to the windows until spring the guy i bought the boat from is storeing it for me till then.

but by the 20lbs of caulking around both of them ill need 2 for sure.

ya its 2 deg here this morning i hate winter,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

ron

Norm_Richards
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 26 February 2012 at 11:59pm | IP Logged

Remember to check out the Marathon Boat Owners Group documents site at web.com. There are also a few members that have joined there that have been encouraged to come here for the forum.

On another note, took a jaunt north on Thursday.. boat is still safe in it's winter hibernation.. Not much of a winter here this years but there is still ice on the lake and only a few inches of snow... If it keep going like this, spring will be early and perhaps the boat in the water a month earllier than normal...  (Took a few pics "In cocoon mode"will post in the next couple of days or so).

Early spring will have to install an "UP" solenoid for the power trim.. and also planning to remove my 3 blade alumimim prop and install a hub insertand 4 blade prop.. should give a bit more kick out of the hole. 

Hope all are well during the winter.. but spring is coming.. and soon a welcome to the 2012 Boating season.

Norm Richards
DantheMan
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 27 February 2012 at 8:02am | IP Logged
Not much winter here either Norm but the river is still open. The only job for boat this year is new impeller
Norm_Richards
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 27 February 2012 at 1:36pm | IP Logged

Hey never know Dan, at this rate we might be launching mid March? ! lol

Here is a couple pic of the barely frozen lake and "cocooned" boat:

Norm Richards
jim831
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 11 March 2012 at 9:51am | IP Logged
Going to be in the 60's next week here in the Boston area. Time to get going on the spring clean-up. Springs just around the corner guys.
Norm_Richards
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 11 March 2012 at 11:41am | IP Logged
Yup Jim: Close to that here in Ontario too... will hit a high of 50F here today in Toronto.. and up to 57F Mon & Tuesday... Things are looking up to Spring... (not that we've really had much of a winter here, but those days of warmer temps are expeditiously approaching!! 
Norm Richards
DantheMan
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 20 March 2012 at 8:49am | IP Logged
Well started to work on boat. Mostly cleaning hull and little caulking around leaky window, Friend is going to do impeller this year. Who was it that recovered there side panels in cockpit? Mine need done but not sure how they come off. It doesn't have be done but will make boat look better, There the ones by shifter and the same one on other side.
whmmer
BoatUS Member
BoatUS Member
Posted: 20 March 2012 at 10:31am | IP Logged
No ice on Erie this year. Weather is perfect for a sea trial. I have a contract on
a 30 ft Sea Ray sedan bridge. The Commander in Chief declared she was not
sleeping on a boat again until she had some creature comforts. Hopefully
this one checks out. Still have the Marathon, at least through our annual
fishing trip in May. (Two boats, 8 guys, 3 days...sounds like a formula for a
lot of mischief).

Jim
Member # 4 Liquid Asset

Bill L
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 26 March 2012 at 11:35am | IP Logged
PainKiller wrote:
Welcome, RonI just replaced the front windows on my 2350 Sunblazer.  Its an easy job if you've got the tools and skills.  If you have to replace the weatherstripping, don't start until you have all the materials on hand. My old weatherstrip shrunk and leaked around the corners.  This weather strip is not available but I did find a service that will make the exact profile at a reasonable cost.  If anyone is interested, I can put together a deal to have some made.  I also have the pattern for the 2350 Sunblazer  front glass.If there is enough interest, I can put together a package that includes the plexi cut to size, in choice of three shades, special 3M sealing tape, new weatherstrip, special flat nuts that go on the backside and instructions.You will have to remove one window and send me a paper pattern unless I would already have it from someone else.  The only special tool you will need is a heat gun.I have a CNC Panel router to cut the plexi.  It will come with protective film on both sides.  There are special nuts on the back side that you may be able to salvage but probably not.  There is a 3M tape that I used which is your real seal from weather.  It works better and lasts longer than caulk.  It is used to mount windows on skyscrapers.  Stainless screws can be included if you want.  Prices would depend on quantity of orders.  I'll be bringing my boat into the shop on Feb 25th to begin this year's projects.  All of my records are in the boat.  I'll be able to list the costs then.Otherwise,  welcome to the Marathon world.  Plan to visit us on Lake Mendota.  Scott

I have the 21.5 weekender and would be interested in the front window seal system you have.If you can e-mail me with price or what you need from me to get this please.truckone1965@yahoo.com
Bill L
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 26 March 2012 at 11:40am | IP Logged
This post is for painkiller,I have a 21.5ft weekender and would be interested in the window seals for the front of the cabin,the two big windows below the windshield.Please e-mail me with what I need to do to get this from you.truckone1965@yahoo.com

<< Prev Page of 109 Next >>