Boater's Connection

Subject
Topic: Marathon Boat Owners Group
Norm_Richards
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 29 March 2009 at 7:09pm | IP Logged

As per previous request by Sir Grunder.. the MBOG WS Desktop Wallpaper (1440x900) -("Big M" Ensign on Caribbean Blue) is now available in two versions. Members names and Vessel Names.

1) With Member Names - in Gold Lettering

2) With Vessel Names - in Burgendy Lettering.

Edited by Norm_Richards on 29 March 2009 at 7:10pm
Norm Richards
Marathon Boat Owners Group - Member #7
1989 Marathon Bermuda Sport 2550 "Vintage Haven"
Norm_Richards
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 29 March 2009 at 8:09pm | IP Logged

Ok Sir Jim of whmmer... Just spotted the following "toon" and had to crack up just thinking about you as Minister of Justice and your trip to the boat show a couple of months ago!!  Perfect lol.

Edited by Norm_Richards on 29 March 2009 at 8:13pm
Norm Richards
OldTownGal
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 29 March 2009 at 9:47pm | IP Logged

lmao     that was a great toon!   And those maps are awesome! 

whmmer
BoatUS Member
BoatUS Member
Posted: 29 March 2009 at 9:51pm | IP Logged
Norm, that was cool.

Jim
Member # 4 Liquid Asset
"B.O.A.T." - Break Out Another Thousand

Minister of Justice and Law
melinsc
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 29 March 2009 at 10:51pm | IP Logged
Our vessel used to be in 95 % salt water...like Chris's.....the Indian River near Melbourne, FL was it's home for a very long time, as well as a couple trips out into the ocean.  It now only visits a lake.

Bill, with the rev thing........we had a similar problem when we went down to pick up our boat.  It ran fine for a little bit under load but would not get up to speed.....it would eventually quit all together and not re-fire right away.  After getting it up to SC, I took it in to a mechanic and with my handy manual with me......had them troubleshoot the fuel pump according to the instructions in my manual.  (Yes, they were very patient with me, and I explained before hand that I wanted to learn why and how everything was done....plus I was paying by the hour!!)  Sure enough it was not pumping out much fuel.  We also had water in the fuel as we discovered upon removing the fuel and the fuel/water separator.  There is a troubleshooting guide in my manual, let me know if you would like me to scan it in for you...I will just type in the one that sounds the closest to your problem...

"Engine will not reach wide-open throttle; top speed and power are reduced---Check throttle linkage for binding.  Check for low fuel pump volume, incorrect float drop, a clogged filter, stuck power valve or an inoperative secondary system."

It also says in here that the floats (called swimmers in Germany), contrary to what the manufacturers say, do gradually absorb fuel....It also says that sometimes a diagnosis of a malfunctioning accelerator pump in the carburetor could be incorrect when using an alcohol and gasoline blended fuel as the alcohol causes the accelerator pump to swell, restricting it's travel in the pump core.

OK, I understand some of what I have typed here.....but honestly, I have no clue what a secondary system or the accelerator pump is!!

Now, these are just fuel system problems......because most of us....maybe all of us.....thought it sounded like a fuel problem.  Let me know if there is anything else I can look up in my handy dandy manual for you.

Oops, just read something else....."The majority of novice troubleshooters immediately suspect the carburetor as the cause of the problem.  In most cases, however, the problem lies in the ignition system."

Now that just puts a whole new spin on this problem of yours!!!!  That little quote was under Engine Performance.

Cool Beans....I just found a couple pages on the starter!!!!

Mel

Melissa
Marathon Boat Owners Group - Member # 17
"Admiral of the Fleet"
melinsc
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 29 March 2009 at 11:01pm | IP Logged
Norm....WOW....you took some really beautiful pictures on Friday!!!!

Thanks to you guys who answered the "how I measure my boat" question.  Do the measurements you took, equal the Marathon model measurements exactly?  I think I might have a difficult time measuring mine on my own.....so that might have to wait until July....but I will see.  I seem to remember it being over 22 but I don't think we included our molded anchor pulpit in the measurements. 

Mel

Melissa
"Admiral of the Fleet"
Norm_Richards
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 30 March 2009 at 6:27am | IP Logged

Mel must have missed your "How to measure it" post..

I have a bit of info.. Just got to work.. and have all my Marathon files with me.. I have the IBoats/Nada specs too..

I'll look up 1987 guides.. as soon as I can and will discuss..

Btw 0630ET here.. 1h30mins left to request your MBOG flag(s) if you want one.. Deadline to order is 0800ET.  (And the Flag Order goes in).

Edited by Norm_Richards on 30 March 2009 at 6:28am
Norm Richards
pop-pop
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 30 March 2009 at 6:39am | IP Logged
Mel
If it not the carb that is the problem, check for a bad coil.
         78" 251 Catalina       
griffo
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 30 March 2009 at 7:18am | IP Logged
Mel

thanks for taking the time to type that extract from your manual.
Being an ex race car builder and driver I intend to take everything in logical steps to get to the bottom of this. I quite recently overhauled the ignition system - although I am by no means ruling it out - but I feel it is time to rip the carb to pieces for the peace of mind that I will be 100% that it is functioning correctly. If this does not cure the problem I will then turn my attention to fuel pumps filters etc. and then back to the ignition. I rule out bad fuel as my motor does not sit for months on end not being used and at the VERY high consumption rate my tank is being emptied and replenished with fresh fuel on a regular basis.

"Engine will not reach wide-open throttle; top speed and power are reduced---Check throttle linkage for binding.  Check for low fuel pump volume, incorrect float drop, a clogged filter, stuck power valve or an inoperative secondary system."

Sounds right to me, if you check back a few pages I wrote that I suspected the secondary system.

Norm, emailed paypal and had a reply today, apparently their computer thinks I'm a gangster trying to launder money or something, here is their reply........

Thank you for contacting PayPal. I understand that you are unable to
complete instant payments using your card as your funding source.

I would like to firstly apologise if this has been to any delay to you and
your transactions.
Allow me to explain further.

Your bank account has just been flagged by an internal security system that
we run. Rest assured that this does not imply that we are suspecting you
with fraudulence or anything like that, no.

This internal security system is the same computer program that is used by
banks and credit card companies to determine if a money transfer request
has a high risk of failure or have potential problems attached with it.

This does not look at you, your card, or your bank. It also does not
consider the funds or credit that you have for funding your payment. It
looks at the transaction in a pure statistical basis and determines
possible errors.

At times, if the payment you are trying to complete does not fit the
pattern of transactions observed in the past, the security system quickly
reviews it.

Unfortunately, since there are thousands of transactions happening in the
PayPal system in a per minute basis, it is virtually impossible to turn it
off. Please accept my apologies but we cannot override this security
system

It would be advisable that you may try to send that payment at a later time
as the system still sees that the payment will not push through with the
use of the funding source available on your PayPal account.

Bill Griffiths
El Presidente
Marathon Boat Owners Group Member #2

griffo
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 30 March 2009 at 7:24am | IP Logged
Bob - the alcoholic beverage here is ridiculously cheap - and when your flotilla braves the Atlantic to visit me it will be FREE at my boat and at my house!

I pay 6 euros for a 24 pack of beer, 4.8% volume.
Jim Beam is about 10 euros a bottle.

Sorry, it's Monday and all this talk of boozing has wet my whistle - I'm off for a shave and then down the watering hole - speak to you all tomorrow.
Bill Griffiths
El Presidente

melinsc
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 30 March 2009 at 7:25am | IP Logged
I was just reading out of the manual Phil, but nice job showing off.....It does say (in the manual) that the ignition system includes the spark plugs, secondary wires, distributor cap and rotor, and the ignition coil.  So good call.....SHOW OFF!!! JK.... I guess this is why I like getting and reading diagnosis opinions from on here......as it can be so many different things wrong, but it is nice to hear all the different feedback......even when it is not currently my boat having the problem!  I am certainly learning a lot......just need to file this stuff in a folder in my brain..... how does that work again?? 

Norm.....  I have seen the guides on the boats.....I wrote about the measuring of the boat on page 45 4:14 pm post.  Not all the sites agree on the proper way to measure......so wondering if anyone got their boat to match exact to the guides and how they did the measurements.....

Mel 
Melissa
"Admiral of the Fleet"
Norm_Richards
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 30 March 2009 at 8:04am | IP Logged

I have never tried my measurements..but will as soon as I get another chance to get to my boat..

The IBOATS show the 87 Marathon 2350 Sunblazer as 22.17 feet long with a 96" beam.

If you can get your sons to help with a long tape measure, you can establish what points they use for the exact 22.17 (If that's exact). Like clip and hold the tape measure (Ir tape it there), to the bottom of the transom Ransom and run the tape out to the bow following the centre line of the hull.. when you hit 22".17 you'll know where that point is... and will know if it includes your molded in pulpit..

BTW: Flag ordering is finished. Order being placed with the flag shop momentarily.

ORDER has been Placed!

Edited by Norm_Richards on 30 March 2009 at 11:19am
Norm Richards
Norm_Richards
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 30 March 2009 at 8:12am | IP Logged

Lottsa Spanish paypal issues Bill.. Can you call them and even speak to a live Paypal Mafia rep?

And thinking about your revs/speed issue... you still have all your prop blades? Stating the obvious, kinda need an intact prop..! Hopefully the salt didn't eat it up. But that would sure explain the high revs and the little movement issue!.

Norm Richards
melinsc
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 30 March 2009 at 8:27am | IP Logged
Bill....thanks for being patient with the less than 'novice' troubleshooter.  Sometimes us less experienced do look at it in a different perspective, so you will continue to get my opinion unless you tell  me it is unwanted ....or it WILL continue......as now.....just wondering why you would pull the carburetor apart before testing the fuel pump.....as I imagine the fuel pump testing would be easier and take less time?  I think we bypassed the anti-siphon....(that could also be a cause, right?).....I can't remember....would have to look it up.......but I know it did not take that long.  I must have missed the part you wrote about the secondary system......and I still have no idea what that is!!!!!

Norm....Thanks for the info.....and good idea for the measuring!!!  I am going to put it on my to do list for this afternoon......cause I am still wondering how we came up with the answer to which models we have.  Does anyone have any proper documents telling them which model they have?  All I remember reading is about is everyone figuring it out by other marathons and the measurements.....which is why I want to measure it correctly.......

Mel

Melissa
"Admiral of the Fleet"
melinsc
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 30 March 2009 at 8:30am | IP Logged
I thought Bill had a low rev problem......not high rev......did I misinterpret?  a max 3000 rpm is low.....right?  Either you or I have lost our minds Norm.......and I'd say it can go either way.....
Melissa
"Admiral of the Fleet"
Norm_Richards
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 30 March 2009 at 8:46am | IP Logged
lol.. I'll have to review Bills posts.. but I thought it was high revs but reduced power/low speed..
Norm Richards
OldTownGal
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 30 March 2009 at 9:20am | IP Logged

testing  ....  1....  2....  3.....   testing

Edited by OldTownGal on 30 March 2009 at 11:48pm
Norm_Richards
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 30 March 2009 at 9:21am | IP Logged

I have no docs except for the ownership.. and vessel certificate.. and even they were not correct..

But by deductives and seeing other Marathons on the net, I have a Bermuda "Express" as does Darryl of Barr.

Norm Richards
OldTownGal
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 30 March 2009 at 9:21am | IP Logged

Edited by OldTownGal on 30 March 2009 at 11:47pm
OldTownGal
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 30 March 2009 at 9:22am | IP Logged

Edited post  :-)  had to get rid of that big blank white box

Edited by OldTownGal on 30 March 2009 at 11:46pm
OldTownGal
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 30 March 2009 at 9:30am | IP Logged

OldTownGal
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 30 March 2009 at 9:33am | IP Logged

Wow Norm....   cool !!!  took me 4 times to figure it out, but i got it!!        

This is our Marathon:

Edited by OldTownGal on 30 March 2009 at 11:49pm
Norm_Richards
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 30 March 2009 at 9:36am | IP Logged
Ok good... you found almost the right code... but the code doesn't llink to the bigger pic.. try to find that code.. (Webshots supplies and give you options in various pixel sizes for your pic... I thought flicker could do that too?
Norm Richards
pop-pop
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 30 March 2009 at 10:03am | IP Logged
griffo
Have you checked your fuel vent line to see if is clogged? Sometimes you will get bugs in them that build a nest in them and it will stop your fuel from flowing right. I use a shop-vac to clean mine out before I put the boat in water.
Edited by pop-pop on 30 March 2009 at 10:04am
         78" 251 Catalina       
Norm_Richards
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 30 March 2009 at 5:09pm | IP Logged

Looking on the net.. A few marathon's out there for sale... Couple of real nice ones....Will have to try watch the buyers..if it's possible... and get a MBOG or two??..

Edited by Norm_Richards on 30 March 2009 at 6:01pm
Norm Richards
Bob David
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 30 March 2009 at 5:36pm | IP Logged
Well, Mr. Norman Richards, PI, you may be chasing down yet another potential member, eh?

Bob
Political Correctness is an idea fostered by a delusional,illogical liberal minority,promoted by an insane media,which supports the proposition that it is possible to pick up poop by the clean end.
Norm_Richards
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 30 March 2009 at 5:59pm | IP Logged
Yup Bob perhaps.. we'll see
Norm Richards
pop-pop
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 30 March 2009 at 6:07pm | IP Logged
         78" 251 Catalina       
melinsc
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 30 March 2009 at 9:25pm | IP Logged
Awww....cute ferrets.....my friend had a ferret.....she got it de-stinked....yep just made that word up..... Anyway, darn thing still smelled....but he was as sweet and as cute as can be.

Bob....I think you may be correct in your labeling of Norm....He should change professions as he seems to really enjoy the PI work.

Norm.....went out and measured the boat.....taped the measuring tape on the side at the back per your suggestion.....it worked pretty good....Trying to hold the tape measure taunt and hold it far enough away from my face to try to gauge the length was a little trickier.  My best guesstimate is the length is 22 ft 6 inches....then add the molded pulpit of 22 inches......total length would be.....might want to check my calculations....but I come up with 23 feet 10 inches which is 23.8333333.  Is that measurement  in the iboats guide?  What is really weird is that my boat looks pretty identical to Bill's.....so if mine is not a sunblazer.....then is his?

Bill.....take a look at my boat pics again on webshots and see if our boats are the same.........

Watcha trying to say Phil??

Mel

Melissa
"Admiral of the Fleet"
pop-pop
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 30 March 2009 at 10:16pm | IP Logged
Gee you guys are quiet on here. Cat got your tongue

GNH
Edited by pop-pop on 30 March 2009 at 10:20pm
         78" 251 Catalina       
shomp67
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 30 March 2009 at 10:23pm | IP Logged

Admiral,

I attached tape measure to aft section (duct tape - Tim Allens's friend - aaah ooohh huuh hu), went thru berth up thru hatch to bow tip.

I know, major technical and accurate. Haha.

Gave a pretty good measurement, may be off by about 1/2" +/-.

Tracy

MBOG Member Lucky #13 - ATICA
Tinkering - Keeps the mind humming and the soul tuned up.
Noteslord
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 30 March 2009 at 10:53pm | IP Logged

pop-pop wrote:
Gee you guys are quiet on here. Cat got your tongue

GNH  

speechless

Bob David
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 30 March 2009 at 10:57pm | IP Logged
I'm being a quiet drunk.

Worked on the boat again today sanding and filling "spiders" and replacing some screws and hardware.

Bob
Political Correctness is an idea fostered by a delusional,illogical liberal minority,promoted by an insane media,which supports the proposition that it is possible to pick up poop by the clean end.
OldTownGal
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 31 March 2009 at 12:05am | IP Logged
PopPop, I visited your website tonight...  well, this morning...  midnite...   anyways....  your boat looks kewl !!  so nice & tidy.  A captain/Marina owner/friend spends alot of time near a special lighthouse...  if you still make them, I will send you a picture....  and some $$ ....  
OldTownGal
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 31 March 2009 at 12:09am | IP Logged
BobDavid, what makes a good spider filler?  We got some too.
Bob David
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 31 March 2009 at 12:19am | IP Logged
Spider filler stuff..... Of course if you have real spiders smash them right way and their guts fill the holes.

Actually I use Green Stuff or "Poxyfill". Today it was "'Poxeyfill". Sand and fill, sand and fill..... Stop and drink a beer or two....sand and fill......sand and fill....stop and drink a beer or two.....  Today was a 14 beer job. And I'm still not done. Goody, goody...

Bob
griffo
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 31 March 2009 at 5:19am | IP Logged
Mel
just given your photos a close scrutiny I would say without doubt that your boat is identical to mine in every way.
I must measure mine next time I'm there. I bought it as a "Marathon 24" and the registration document lists it as being 7.6 metres long by 2.5 metres wide, I've never checked to see if this is correct.

Bill
Bill Griffiths
El Presidente

Norm_Richards
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 31 March 2009 at 5:28am | IP Logged

I feel an "ITIS" vent happening at this early dawning hour!.. Couldn't sleep.. so up like an hour ahead of time.. Nice measurement.. Will take look at your measurements and try to fit... the boat to be sure. Will check the charts at work this am if I get a chance.. 

Bill's boat same but measurements looks like they include platform & pulpit..  converting meters to footage

7.6 m = @24.9 feet long..

2.5 M = @8.20 feet wide..

----------------------------------------

I will try to do an email to Marty to ask how the measurments work.. since he hasn't made an appearance yet.. even though his security is fixed up!

------------------------------------------------------------ --

and Yup, I could have many hats.. (all black ones mind you.. ).. but I have many potenial retirement car-reers.. if one wants to ever hire an old... er... well experienced....almost organized type to help them with their biz... that is if I ever get to re-tire... lol....

Like yup Bob, maybee some PI work, trackin' various people around the globe..lol.. or stuff!! or maybe do some puter fixin' for a good rate,

or some  G roup or priv puter techie lessons for those who might be a bit scared and/or unknowing in the world of puters..

or perhaps do some N ice photography of various scenics or npeople,  

or designing H uge boating graphics (or little ones) for vessels or hats.. decals, lol, doing company advertising stuff or PR work..

<<GroupnHug>> with armour? or is that amour?.. Hi-hoe, hi-whoe and off to work I go..

Edited by Norm_Richards on 31 March 2009 at 10:40am
Norm Richards
whmmer
BoatUS Member
BoatUS Member
Posted: 31 March 2009 at 6:23am | IP Logged
You know all this measuring stuff has me concerned that size does matter?

Jim
Member # 4 Liquid Asset
"B.O.A.T." - Break Out Another Thousand

Minister of Justice and Law
Norm_Richards
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 31 March 2009 at 11:59am | IP Logged

lol Jim... and not just the length.. but the beam as well !!

Edited by Norm_Richards on 31 March 2009 at 12:09pm
Norm Richards

<< Prev Page of 109 Next >>