Boater's Connection

Subject
Topic: Marathon Boat Owners Group
whmmer
BoatUS Member
BoatUS Member
Posted: 10 May 2010 at 6:27am | IP Logged
Grabber,

I made a little cruise last weekend with my better to Kelley's after a night on the boat. Just luck I guess. Looking at 9-12 footers this weekend. Last weekend was just fluke. Doesn't look much better this week and then it will take the lake 3-4 days to clear up. Good luck.

Jim
Member # 4 Liquid Asset
"B.O.A.T." - Break Out Another Thousand

Minister of Justice and Law
pop-pop
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 10 May 2010 at 9:19am | IP Logged
Ok vern, Here's the one to beat.

78" 251 Catalina       
whmmer
BoatUS Member
BoatUS Member
Posted: 10 May 2010 at 9:40am | IP Logged

Isn't PhotoShop great!

Jim

Member # 4 Liquid Asset

Bob David
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 10 May 2010 at 9:52am | IP Logged
Jim, Mav', and all, we spent much of last week up in the northlands last week. Checking on the progress made on the "cabin" by the contractors after last fall's break-in and vandalism. Almost ready for human habitation once again. Angela's niece graduated from Ferris State with a nursing degree Saturday. Though we couldn't attend due to a restricted number of tickets, we did stop by to give our best wishes and lend a bit of help getting her moved.

The water on Huron was odd last week. A couple of fronts came through and one made it tough boating. I think I was the only crazy-ass on the water Tuesday(I think it was). We did have a couple of good days though the temp was a might cool. Not bad, mind you, but definitely jacket weather and not the usual shorts, t-shirt and flip-flops.

I've heard rumors that the price of fuel is going up this year. I remember two seasons ago.....WOW!!! I hope the price stays close to what it is now or I'll be spending more time dockside enjoying the boats.

Good news here is that I have sold the houseboat(again). I won't have to go get it or deliver it to the new owner. Made a nice bit of change on this fiasco. The first buyer bought it and his SWMBO(She who Must Be Obeyed) didn't like it, so I bought the bought  back. When that happened, I figured in what it would cost me to get the boat back North and added a "trouble fee" for my troubles into the "buyback". We had a few nibbles in the past 4-6weeks and finally landed a buyer. A deal was struck and the check received. At least I can now afford to buy a "Happy Meal" at McDonalds.

The Marathon hasn't been touched in a couple of weeks. Looks like I'm going to have to refinish the wood again. The sun has played the evil do'er and done a bit of damage, none bad thank goodness. We did have a bad windstorm last week that shredded the top. Looks like we sill have to get top #3 done. I'm going to add a couple of changes on the new one that I came up with over the winter. Hopefully, the guys can do them. And I still need to finish the "window" that leads to the v-berth and get it installed.

Painting the boat has been delayed. I'll have to reschedule when I'm closer to completion of my projects. The shop that was going to do it lost a couple of employees and was badly understaffed when we were going to get it done. The owner is a friend and I told him it was OK to postpone the boat. I've still got a couple of things I want to do before she is ready to paint anyway. Not things that wold actually delay things but can, and maybe should, be done before the color is applied.

And I have to buy two more "Doggy PFD's". We have two more Boston Terriers to go aboard the boats. We rescued one from a puppy mill and the other one was in such bad shape from abuse, we thought she wouldn't make it. She only weighed 13# when she was surrendered and is up to 24# in 7 weeks. Hell, these critters eat better than I do!!!!

Well, gotta get ready for jury duty. Got the summons a couple of weeks ago. I hope I can come home early. I'm sure I'll be dismissed since I'm friggin' deaf. Supposed to get fitted with hearing aids sometime in the next couple of weeks. Then I'll officially be an "old geezer". All I'll need is a cane, or a walker, already wear bifocals, my contact lenses as well as my glasses.

'nuff rambling for now.

Bob
Edited by Bob David on 10 May 2010 at 9:55am
Political Correctness is an idea fostered by a delusional,illogical liberal minority,promoted by an insane media,which supports the proposition that it is possible to pick up poop by the clean end.
ketchum kid
BoatUS Member
BoatUS Member
Posted: 10 May 2010 at 2:28pm | IP Logged
Dry Lake? Isn't that an anomaly, an oxymoron, and a shame?
"If the course is hard, still steer."
Cobalt 272
MaverickGrabber
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 10 May 2010 at 6:26pm | IP Logged
whmmer wrote:
Grabber,

I made a little cruise last weekend with my better to Kelley's after a night on the boat. Just luck I guess. Looking at 9-12 footers this weekend. Last weekend was just fluke. Doesn't look much better this week and then it will take the lake 3-4 days to clear up. Good luck.

Jim

tested the jetski out in the bay that weekend .white caps and all .that was fun never been on one till then ..had a blast but a little cool ..water temp was not to bad
http://www.myspace.com/ohiovalleyvigilantes

http://www.myspace.com/maverickgrabber1972

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2634119
Viking Vern
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 12 May 2010 at 10:25pm | IP Logged

Pop Pop:

A photo shop phish? Or a holy mackerel? We need all the details Pop Pop: dates, places, weight, marital status, catcher of the day, photographer, name of boat, crew of boat, witnesses (accomplices), brew of the day, lunch on the preceding day, bait, line, etc. Details! All the Details!   

We are amused. Keep going and get something big. Keep up the good work!

The gauntlet has been thrown, MBOGers. <<clink>>

-Viking Vern

pop-pop
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 13 May 2010 at 9:19am | IP Logged
Vern
I wish that was my fish. Rumor is that it was caught and released "somewhere in MD." Length and girth measurements put it in the 70-74 lb range.
         78" 251 Catalina       
FRED
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 20 May 2010 at 8:45am | IP Logged

everybody!!!!

inthe water last sunday, yesssss everything going ok took a short spin around the lake tuesday tis time for summer!

FREDTTINKER@AOL.COM
pop-pop
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 20 May 2010 at 11:10am | IP Logged
This is a cool link.

www.marinetraffic.com
         78" 251 Catalina       
pop-pop
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 24 May 2010 at 10:13pm | IP Logged
Yo Norm! How about them FLYERS
         78" 251 Catalina       
whmmer
BoatUS Member
BoatUS Member
Posted: 25 May 2010 at 8:24am | IP Logged

Taking a crack at the fishing contest Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Are there extra points for numbers of bottle bass consumed?

Jim

Member # 4 Liquid Asset

Bob David
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 25 May 2010 at 9:16am | IP Logged
Bottle Bass may be counted.........if they arrive dockside on the return alive(full). Guess that ends that, eh? Doubt many "live" ones make it dockside.

Going out Wednesday!!!! Do I hear a "Hell, yeh!!!"? Not on the big boat, or the Marathon, but aboard the knocker. A boat is a boat. Walleye are stacking up below the dam here and I'm a-gonna git me some!!! Got rain coming Thursday, so they should be on the bite.

Some SOB cut a hole in one of the seats of the Marathon. They are hollow in the back. I think someone made a "drug drop". We've had a couple of new families move in and one guy drives a REAL nice SUV(a new Cadiallac Escalade), dresses in high dollar duds, wears more bling than Mr. T, but doesn't seem to work. I'll be glad to get moved up north, the neighborhood here is going to hell in a hand basket. The guy's house seems to have a lot of "5 minute visitors". He may have a job, a "street pharmacist". That's illegal and the boys in blue will bust his a$$ sooner or later.

As for the seats, I had to haggle with the insurance company to get them to buy MATCHING seats. They only wanted to replace the single seat, but none matched the damaged seat. Not wanting mismatched seats, I finally convinced them to pay for two.

They then canceled my insurance. I canceled my homeowners and  vehicle insurance with them. My agent gave me a call a couple of days later asking if there was a problem. I told her no, not now. After a bit of groveling, on her part, she asked if I would reconsider. No. Please? So I negotiated a lower premium, MUCH lower, a better coverage, lower deductible, and reinstated my policies. Saved myself about $800 a year. Funny how insurance companies think they have you over a barrel, when, in fact, they don't.

Hot weather finally made it to Indiana the past couple of days. The grandkids finish the school year in 4 weeks. They will be here and we'll head back north. Getttin' antsy.

Well, my fingers are getting cramped. Talk at you all later.

Bob

Political Correctness is an idea fostered by a delusional,illogical liberal minority,promoted by an insane media,which supports the proposition that it is possible to pick up poop by the clean end.
ketchum kid
BoatUS Member
BoatUS Member
Posted: 25 May 2010 at 9:32am | IP Logged
Bob
   Sorry about the boat damage, but good job on dealing with the insurance company.
Did they let you have the upholstery custom made, or did they let you buy two seats that matched each other?
And, hey, watch out for natives bearing bling.
Cobalt 272
Bob David
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 25 May 2010 at 10:38am | IP Logged
Ketch, I bought two new seats. NICE ones!!! They ran almost $400 each on sale at a local marina. A bit nicer than the ones on the boat originally, as they have a storage deal in the backrest. And we all know how valuable storage is on a boat. Anytime you can get a bit more you grab it.

Getting ready to call the locals now. A strange face is in the alley, not a normal thing around here before the new neighbors. If we can make it hard for this dude to do business, hopefully, he will move out. The house he lives in has been on the market for about 4 years. Way over priced for the market.

As far as  the insurance premiums, I can now cover those in two payments. Before it took 4. Gotta laugh at those people, they make  killing and think that when you file a claim you are trying to steal from 'em. Crazy.

Bob
Norm_Richards
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 25 May 2010 at 3:13pm | IP Logged

Well time to break group for 2010 in the forum or something like that... to actually prepare for boating!. Winter/Spring has been quiet in here... we've had no flags to design this winter..lol.. but always lots going on in everyone lives.. and time goes by. (Just warning you, have a bit of catching up to do, and I am still long winded.. so at this point in the post, yall' might as well go to the washroom, get a drink and get your specs on! (if you need them). 

Greetings and salutations to all the members of the Marathon Boat Owners Group. Spring is over and we proceed into the warmth of summer… (Kinda would prefer a real nice summer this year, after last summer’s inclement weather.) Firstly to our favorite Viking, wishing you all the best this year. After mostly sickbay last summer, hopefully you’ll be in skimpy (or not so skimpy) beachwear this summer and dawning an olive tan.. and out enjoying  your vessel and getting a chance at the

HUGE fish!

(The 2010 Vikings Challenge Cup is underway).

Now with fishing derby’s starting up, a chance to repair holes in the back of boat seats, (Insurance Bob.. hopefully they cover?) special purchases of new radio and speakers, fan & fish finders, new boat horns to purchase and install.. summer is definately in the air. 

After the 2nd selling of the house-boat for a

"McDonalds Happy McDeal Meal" (congrats Bob), (Hopefully your other half might not go too hungry). Must be some art you have Sir in selling, recovering, selling again and still making coin on the barge. Good Job Bob with the barge & playing around with the Insurance company.. them begging for your biz..lol. Great Job. 

... After the Habs beat out of the Stanley Cup in 5 games against the Flyers!! Arg.. (Congrats Pop-pop.. to your PA team).. (Blackhawks in 7 ?)..

... After all the ups & down of Winter & spring whatever they have entailed, a few boats have started coming out of their hibernation and are being plunged into the depths of the “blue to start their season”..

I have been a bit remiss on my participation on this forum.. Tried to get things going in late Feb with the “Spring Check-in” only to find that a few owners have sold their boats.. Many others no response.. But the core of this group remains intact!!

Winter and spring has kept us a bit busy preparing/etc for my son and new daughter-in-law forthcoming wedding. (Showers, gifts etc etc.. (stored in my son’s room & all over my house and at his finances parents place.

All of the planning and preps etc came to fruition two weeks ago. May 8th marks the date where myoungest (of three) entered in matrimonial bliss, while the two “olders” (still at home!! oxymoron? (Like why are the two “olders”  still home while the youngest vacates?). Anyways, the two eldest watched their younger sibling walk down the aisle. And we all had a reality check!. Are we that old to have children getting married?? wholy cow Batman!, I gotta get my sh#t together!. Lol. Like I guess so!.

So it was quite the reality check and even a bit emotional for us to see our youngest take his wife, pack up his stuff and leave his only home: where He grew up and became a man(?), (hopefully), now He takes up his own residence under his own namesake.

My “Father of the Groom” speech: it ran a bit lengthy but like really, what else would you expect from me? It was an emotional roller coaster to prepare and present: from humor to sentiment to welcoming a new daughter-in-law, etc.. and even a few teary moments thrown in for good measure. It was a busy spring here for the family but a great day as they started their new journey together.. (And for me, in the background thinking, glad it an early summer wedding.. maybe there is still enough time to get up north and get the boat ready before our May 24 Victoria Holiday weekend, which was my target)

My Lockage sticker for the 25 footer, for the “Trent-Severn waterway ordered in early spring and now in hand. (Bright Orange this yr): (Doesn’t quite match the vessel paint or the MBOG Flag! but hey, maybe next year it will be blue!) but it does give my vessel the authority to travel the “Trenton”. Also in hand, a brand new authentic, (almost), white Captain’s hat with anchors on the black brim, which was given to me on Christmas by my eldest son’s two friends. They were on a 3 hr tour to Gilligan’s Island with me last summer on the Marathon). They remembered me at Christmas time.. Almost set for this year’s boating season! . Let’s go!!.

So on Friday May 21st we headed north to the cabin to see the damage of the winter.. not too bad.. just a wee bit (lot of) elbow grease in cleanup and replacing cabin water pump pressure bladder tank (weld popped) and PRESTO.. the cabin is up and running for the summer: A few things to do around the place but all in due time and priority order...

The boat firstt, the rest… …. ….(perhaps) later.

Saturday am, it was onto "prepping" my prized Marathon.. After almost 8 months in it’s winter cocoon.. and I started to crack open the cover and dismantle the A-Frame.. not a mark. Hmmm, wee bit on the dirty/dusty side but all intact with no apparent ill effects.  

All ready.. Batteries in, Block plugs in, Main plug definitely in!. (I sure don't want to sink the vessel on 1st launch!) 

Ready for the 1st startup for 2010..

I hooked up the hose/ear muffs on the outdrive.. and this year, it rapidly awoke without an issue..

Never before did it start so well after a winter.. an within a few seconds and puffs of defogger puffing out.. purring at it low hum. (I love that sound of that V8).  Up and running, I confirmed with buddy if he could do the launch.. “Sunday noon I’ll be there!!”. Kewl, perfect, just nuff time left in the day for a complete scrub down n’ shine n’ wax and restock the miscellaneous items.

Sunday noon: loaded up on the hydrolic trailer, blocking stacked away.. and we headed out for the launch… Marked in my Vessel log, May 23, 2010 at 13:00 hrs, Vintage Haven hit the water, started up and successfully launched into Balsam Lake and the MBOG re-hung on the Bow staff. The 2010 boating season for us has started. Welcome back all to the season of boating and the Marathon Boat Owners Group.

Congrats to all that have already launched and well wishes to the remaining to have a great launch, (with hopefully, no major issues) and a great boating season. (Keep us posted on your boating season and your progress in the 2010 Vikings Challenge!) Pictures.. hopefully get a camera that doesn't fall of yer wrists and take pictures of your boats and those fish!!.. (No "photoshopping" allowed.! lol..)

Best regards 

Norm

Edited by Norm_Richards on 25 May 2010 at 3:33pm
Norm Richards
Marathon Boat Owners Group - Member #7
1989 Marathon Bermuda Sport 2550 "Vintage Haven"
RWHITE1948
BoatUS Member
BoatUS Member
Posted: 29 May 2010 at 10:09pm | IP Logged
I just bought a 1984 25 ft MARATHON it may the 2550 I am not sure because I know very little about MARATHON boats, but I intend to learn what I can about this brand of boats. I got this boat May, 25,2010 from a guy on EBAY from Connecticut and I am in Nashville, TN. I flew to Connecticut, rented a truck, picked up the trailered boat and drove 1000 miles back to Nashville stopping only for fuel and to use the restroom. It took me eighteen hours. The boat is dirty,it needs painting, The rear canvas does not have a frame to support it so I cannot put it up, but the canvas itself is in good condition, the front canvas is fine and has a frame and I got it up and snapped down. The battery is dead and the last owner removed some of the electronics including the horn. Now why he removed the horn has got me scratching my head. Oh well, I will replace all of these goodies over time. engine is a 220-hp mercruiser I/O which is dirty and I need to get down there and clean it up a little as well as replacing the battery. stand up head looks good as well as the v-berth and the aft cabin looks ok. I will try to post pictures as soon as I can. Wood trim is faded to the point that I cannot tell what type of wood it was. everything is bleached by the sun. Some seats have small tears in them, nothing major though. Its just going to take time to get her restored. Oh and I am nameing her New Horizons.
Norm_Richards
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 30 May 2010 at 6:25am | IP Logged

Hey Ron.. You made it here.. Good Show Sir. This is the Marathon Boat Owners Group.. : the biggest one in the world.. (that we know of).

If you send me your email, I'll send you a few documents: Marathon documentation & Historical stuff.

Welcome aboard Ron.

Norm Richards
Bob David
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 30 May 2010 at 7:20am | IP Logged
Where's my old buddy Bill? Odd he hasn't made himself visible yet this season. I know his boat is down, but he could at least give us a progress report.

Welcome to our band of pirates, Ron. Sometimes we actually talk boats here. Sometimes. Other times we talk about weddings, dogs, cars and trucks, <clinks>(you'll learn about those later)....

Any way, I am getting ready to shove off from Mackinac. Heading back to the south for a bit. The fuel bill wasn't too awful bad. Having tamed down the twin 500 Crusaders really did pay off. Angela is fixing eggs, bacon, toast, and hash browns for the morning meal. I love the smell of bacon being fried. Smells much better aboard a boat though.

The dogs are lovin' this. The two new ones don't care much for their doggie PFD's but, they'll get used to them. Otie did get a bit "seasick" early on, but is doing well now. He did the same thing last year puking all over the aft deck. Gave him some Dramamine and all is well.

We had one problem yesterday. Blew a fuse for the radar. No big thing. I think I have a weak breaker that will get replaced when we get back to the boat house. I have a batch of replacements in the tool box. I probably should put them aboard the boat, ya  think?

I let Amaya, the 9-year old granddaughter, drive the boat for about an hour yesterday. She had her eyes glued to the GPS and the RADAR. You would have thought Dora the Explorer was on the screens. Angela gave me an earful for allowing her to steer, but what the heck. She may need to know should a real emergency happen and she be the only one available to handle the boat.

We had a bunch of "may-days". We were to far away to answer though we did turn to to answer one. The USCG go fast boat passed us like we were sitting still and told us we could be on our way as they had it under control. We were about 35 miles away(an hour at full throttle) from the caller at the time. The fool ran out of gas. I can tell it's gonna be a long summer for some. My pet peeve is boat owners that can'tread the friggin' gauges on their boats. Especially the one that has an "E" on the left and an "F" on the right. Idiots!!!! Oh, and crazy-azzed jet ski operators is another. Them folks is just plain DANGEROUS!!!

Well, breakfast is ready. I hate greasy keys on my new laptop. By the way, I got this new computer last fall. A 17.5" screen ....WOW!!! Better than my old one by a long shot. The bad thing is I can't see the screen real well in sunlight, so it stays below in the wheelhouse. I think there is a polarized screen protector/cover that will eliminate the "wash-out" caused by the sun. Gotta look into that.

Well, the eggs are gettin' cold. Laterz. Stay safe if you're on the water today. There be some crazies on the water.

Bob
griffo
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 02 June 2010 at 12:36pm | IP Logged
Bob David wrote:
Where's my old buddy Bill? Odd he hasn't made himself visible yet this season. I know his boat is down, but he could at least give us a progress report.

OK here I am! I've been ridiculously busy working in the house for the past three months, getting brownie points from her that must be obeyed you understand.
I've built a completely new kitchen and retiled right way through the house, still got one and a half bedrooms to finish, the dining room and two staircases.
The temperature here is 86 F at nine o'clock in the morning, it is killing me.
No progress on the boat, I've bought all the goodies, new bellows, hull paint, drive paint and anodes and have ( I think ) all of the info that I need to fix the outdrive.
Went to the boatyard two weeks ago ( it's just over the water from my mooring ) to arrange to be lifted to dry dock. Talk about laid back in Spain? They gave me the date of 8th July!!!
So I'm still working on the house and the boat is still broken. Just can't wait to wield my spanners on it and get back out to sea.
Had an expensive few months, what with buying all the new stuff for the house , paying my annual mooring fees and renewing the marine insurance. No bar work this year, the owners, tight gits, have decided to have no staff this year, so no handy income and no free beer - what a bummer.
Big party at my house in August, me and Linda along with our best friends over here are both celebrating our thirtieth wedding anniversaries - garden party, live music, swimming pool, free beer, free food, free accomodation - getting the picture? Sort some cheap flights out!
Got to go now, Linda is due to start work and I am the taxi driver. I probably won't sign in again until the boat is out and I've got a progress report. Hope you all have a good and safe summer out there on your Marathons - except you Bob, you ought to just frame yours and hang it on the wall - I don't think it will ever get wet!

See you soon

Bill

Bill Griffiths
El Presidente
Marathon Boat Owners Group Member #2

griffo
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 02 June 2010 at 12:37pm | IP Logged
By the way - welcome to this crazy bunch Ron, nice to have you on board.
Bill Griffiths
El Presidente
Marathon Boat Owners Group Member #2

ketchum kid
BoatUS Member
BoatUS Member
Posted: 02 June 2010 at 1:36pm | IP Logged
Norm, Bob ,Bill good to hear from each of you. How was the Memorial Day weekend for all Marathoners?
And Ron, welcome aboard.
Bill, thats not laid back for hauling out work, that's comatose.
Good luck with it.
Cobalt 272
RWHITE1948
BoatUS Member
BoatUS Member
Posted: 02 June 2010 at 2:46pm | IP Logged

Well thinks for the welcome, Bill, Norm, Bob, I am glad I found you guys. Norm my email address is rwhite1948@tds.net, glad to have anything you can send me.. If you look at Norm's boat on page 86 than my boat looks just like it except my boat is brown and white and my front and rear canvas is white and my boat is a 1984.

Open the engine hatch yesterday found the battery discharged, down to 1.25 volts attempted to recharge. measured it this morning and it was back down to 10.25 volts. looks like I am going to have get a new battery its not holding a charge. I bought the boat on may 25 and was told about the battery being dead, just figured that it was discharged and all it needed was to be recharged, looks like I am wrong. The boat has a DEKA marine battery, a brand that I have never hear of. There are no voltage markings anywhere on the battery so I don't know what voltage the battery is. I assume it is twelve volts, but I am not sure. I am thinking of putting a 24 volt battery in the boat. What do you guys think?

Boat needs the bottom repainted and a few dings taken care of, nothing major, I have been quoted a price of 1.000.00 dollars to get that done. Than later I am going to have the rest of the boat painted, I think a bright red. Its going to take a little time to do this, but I am not in a big hurry, I just want to get her in  ship shape before I put her in the water.

Ronald

whmmer
BoatUS Member
BoatUS Member
Posted: 02 June 2010 at 4:41pm | IP Logged

Hi all...

Welcome Ronald. If it's clean, I'll put the bottom paint on your boat for $500 and a case of Harp. Lost the starter over memorial weekend. It just kind of consumed itself from inside. I was probably 20 miles out. I do know it was a long tow back. Thank god for Boat US tow insurance. The best $48 bucks I ever spent. Had a new starter in the next morning in an hour or so. I got an early fathers day present. My wife bought me one of those MAGMA kettle grills. Just need to buy the mounts and find some good steaks to break it in. Safe travels all.

Jim

Member # 4 Liquid Asset

RWHITE1948
BoatUS Member
BoatUS Member
Posted: 02 June 2010 at 6:23pm | IP Logged

Well unfortunately Jim it has to be sanded down and a few dings need to be worked on but if you can drive down to Antioch, TN from Kent, Ohio and fix the dings, sand it down and paint the bottom for $500 I will throw in not one case but 3 cases of Harp.LOL

Ronald 

Norm_Richards
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 02 June 2010 at 8:18pm | IP Logged

Well Ron.. Five or so packages sent to you.. A few with big attachments: Lots of historical documentation captured plus informative reading(s) about our "Marathons" our members & this forum. 

Also sent you info on the 84's plus an original scanned brochure from 86'. (Kinda kewl to have a copy of it.. since the original is almost 25 yrs old).  

Post that boat pic of yours Sir.. or just send it over and I can post it on forum on your behalf. 

Again, welcome aboard to this motley crew of Marathoners. 

Ps: Almost have Jim coming to TN by offering 3 cases!! (Perhaps one more case and it will be a shew in! ?)

Don't mind us.. We're all a little nutz in here but hey... why change now!! 

Norm Richards
ketchum kid
BoatUS Member
BoatUS Member
Posted: 02 June 2010 at 9:04pm | IP Logged
Ron, negatory on the 24 volt battery, you'll fry all the electrics. Two 12's hooked up parallel preferably through a battery switch is a much better idea. But to simplify things for now, just a good 12 volt is all you need.
You want to be pretty careful changing "systems" in a boat, but this is a great place to run an idea by others to gather their opinion.
Cobalt 272
RWHITE1948
BoatUS Member
BoatUS Member
Posted: 02 June 2010 at 9:10pm | IP Logged

Thanks for the come back ketchum kid, 12 volt it is. thanks for the info.

Ronald

RWHITE1948
BoatUS Member
BoatUS Member
Posted: 02 June 2010 at 9:53pm | IP Logged

I just found out something slightly unsettling, My MARATHON 2550 is not a 2550 but a 2350. I just happened to notice a small label under the ignition switch which says MARATHON 2350 series. so I measured the LOA and sure enough it was 23.5 ft, not the 25 ft. I was told. Kind of makes me wonder what else He didn't tell me.

Ronald

MaverickGrabber
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 02 June 2010 at 10:34pm | IP Logged

MaverickGrabber
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 02 June 2010 at 10:36pm | IP Logged
its on the water

RWHITE1948
BoatUS Member
BoatUS Member
Posted: 02 June 2010 at 11:21pm | IP Logged

Beautiful Boat MaverickGrabber.

Ronald

Bob David
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 03 June 2010 at 6:26am | IP Logged
In the words of my buddy, Bill, what the bloody hell? The posters are alive!!!

Bill, my condolences on losing out to the summer job. How's your liver taking the news? I think the owners did an inventory and found that profits would double if they didn't hire you.

Well, I've had 3 boats in the water so far. The Carver was active over the holiday weekend. Gotta love a big boat on big water. The old Chrissy made a short voyage to the eatery in Indian River Sunday. And I had the knocker out fishing on a couple of Indiana lakes last week.

I'm thinking of turning the Marathon into a lawn ornament. Seems that every time I work on her, I find another project that I would like done. Jerk it off of the trailer and make a koi pond out of her. I keep finding more things to do before getting her wet.

The top got torn up in a HUGE wind(65mph horizontals) and rain storm we had. Again, insurance is giving me a fit. But, I told my agent, once again, I will cancel EVERY policy I have with them if they don't come through. Poor gal, it isn't her fault but that of their corporate office. At the $1600 replacement cost, I hope that they figure things out in a hurry. It was completely shredded. It's the one I had made last summer and has already been repaired once before.

The paint job has once again been postponed. If I still owned the shop, I'd do it myself. The owner of the paint shop that was to paint the boat has to have chemo as he was diagnosed with colon cancer about a month ago. He's only 44 years old. Too young to be that sick. He's had surgery to remove part of his bowel and the radiation AND chemo are about to begin. Gotta be tough on him and his family. I used to babysit him when he was a kid along with his siblings as they were neighbors back in the day.

Remember the train project? Well, with all of the new members, I've given it up. Too many cars to paint and get done up right.

Memorial Day holiday was spent aboard the Carver, of course, on the BIG lake. Jay, the grandson, is finally legal to pilot the boat. He and I attended a USCGPS deal and he got his certificate. I went for a refresher. The instructor kept asking me if the curriculum and his teaching were up to snuff. How the hell would I know? I was playing games on my cell phone!!!!! He did get his marker buoys mixed up and I did correct him on those. Dunce didn't know his right from his left and I think he was color blind.

We are heading back up to the Northlands Saturday or Sunday.  The grandkids are out of school, but I have a commitment Saturday with our local Humane Society. The dogs, now numbering 5, are in a Strut Your Mutt walk. It's a mile walk, games, a bit of a feed, and prizes at a local park. Like I'm going to walk a mile..... Maybe for a cooler full of beer...... or a case of Jim Beam. But for a new coozie, a t-shirt, or what ever? Hardly.

Has anyone heard from our distinguished honorary member Mr. Duhon? I think he works for Shell Oil, but BP sure has a mess  on their hands with that broken well. I worked as a roughneck on a land-based rig in the Anadarko Basin in Oklahoma for a bit. Even on land a blow out wasn't always an easy fix. I can't imagine something being 5000 ft below the surface and trying to fix it. Describing it as a tough job doesn't even equate.

Seems that some of our government officials screwed the pooch on inspections. Yet, as usual, the company, BP, will pay the price when in fact, the inspectors are probably the blame.

Well, the dawn is approaching and I've got things to do. I might even get to work on the Marathon today. I've got a couple of really easy jobs to finish on it before getting to a couple of larger projects. I received a new pump for the trim tabs a couple of weeks ago, the first one was shipped wrong and I didn't catch it until I tried to install it. And I will also replace the switch while I'm at it. Supposed to rain though.

One of these days that boat WILL get wet. I've just got to get my a** in gear and get it finished and quit adding projects that just delay launching. But, I want it to be perfect.

As always, may the sun shine on your faces, the seas be calm, the winds fair, and may the Witch of the Water stay far behind in your wake.

Bob
MaverickGrabber
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 03 June 2010 at 7:53pm | IP Logged
RWHITE1948 wrote:

Beautiful Boat MaverickGrabber.

Ronald

thanks  cell phone dont take very good photos

Norm_Richards
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 10 June 2010 at 9:47pm | IP Logged

For all our members, Page 86 of the forum is another memorable page: The introduction of Ron White's Marathon.

So here is the inaugeral display of Ron White's new 1984 Marathon.

After reviewing our group documentation and for the advisement of all Marathon Boat Owners Group members, Ron White is the 41st Marathon owner to enter into this group.

Without further adieu: Now Hailing from Nashville TN,  Ron White's new (well not exactly new but new to him & to TN,) his 1984 Sunblazer 2350, with 220-hp mercruiser. His vessel currently is named "Class Action"

Thank's for the pictures Ron. Welcome to the world of Marathons and our Marathon Boat Owners Group. 

Edited by Norm_Richards on 10 June 2010 at 9:49pm
Norm Richards
Bob David
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 10 June 2010 at 11:54pm | IP Logged
Ron, is that a busted prop  I see?  Must have hit a rock(or the road) with it to break it up like that!!! WOW!!! I'd check the shaft to make sure of no damage there. It may have been bent by looking at the damaged prop. Another hint. I'd go with a stainless prop. Much less flex and better performance. Of course, the drawback is the difference in price. I'll leave that decision up to you whether it is worth the difference. I've got a SS prop for my boat, but have yet to install it. One of the many small "to-do's" I have yet to tackle.

BTW, the insurance company came through on the wind damaged top, though  I do have to pay the deductible and the difference in the changes I am making. Still, $300 ain't much. Far short of B.O.A.T(Break Out Another Thousand).

Been raining a lot on Huron. Been staying dockside for the most part. We have graduation party to attend in Ohio this weekend so not much boating planned. Angela's niece graduated from Ferris State University with a nursing degree. Pretty proud of her. She wants to get a job near Big Rapids, Michigan, as she fell in love with the area. My great aunt and uncle lived near there in Grand Rapids. Nice country fer shur and pretty close to Lake Michigan.

And, Bill, I've got a line on a restaurant and bar we are thinking of buying if you're still looking for a "summer job". Going to look at the books tomorrow to see just how profitable it is. Nice place, looking at it. Still, with the economy,it may not be a good venture at present. I will need to be able to turn a profit as soon as possible. And part of your perks would be an available boat, since yours is down. And, of course, free beer. The owner told us he is able to net over $120g a year. Sounds a bit high, and how much time he spends there. If I have to be there all of the time, not worth it to me. Leaves no time for boating. With th new Obama-care and the forced policies forced on business owners, I have some reservations. We'll see.

As always, may the sun shine on your faces, the seas be calm, the winds fair, and may the Witch of the Water stay far behind in your wake.

Bob
RWHITE1948
BoatUS Member
BoatUS Member
Posted: 11 June 2010 at 8:21am | IP Logged
Yep your right, about 1 inch off the tip of one of the blades is missing. I don't see any signs that any other damage was done, but I am going to throughly have it checked out when I get a new prop. As for the restaurant, I use to have a restaurant in downtown Nashville called the QUIK GRILL. You can make money, but restaurants are a lot of work and to tell you the truth, I don't think I would do it again.
Norm_Richards
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 11 June 2010 at 10:07am | IP Logged

Yer so right Bob.. a SS prop gives better preformance cause it is much more rigid and has less give than, lets say an aluminum prop against the water.. But SS has better torque in the water.

BUT if you hit the ridgid SS prop on a BIG rock.. kiss it and your driveshaft goodbye.. whereas if you hit a rock with an aluminum prop you might take a piece or two out of the  prop but would be a but more forgiving to the driveshaft...

In either case, it all depends how hard you HIT!! And how fast you can kill the motor!.

<<< Done that.. been there..!!).. Managed to reck two alum props in my lifetime... but haven't totalled a driveshaft yet.!!.).

(Famous last words!) Hope I didn't speak too soon!.lol. 

Edited by Norm_Richards on 11 June 2010 at 10:08am
Norm Richards
Bob David
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 11 June 2010 at 11:12am | IP Logged
Norm, with a stainless blade if I hit a log, I've got firewood, a bit soggy though. I've got two extra props on board the Marathon. The one I'll be taking off and the extra one that came with the boat.

On the Carver, I've got brass props, and a shaft. I've heard of guys bouncing a prop and bending the shaft and wondering where the vibration is coming from. Kinda makes one wonder the mentality of some boat owners, doesn't it? The Carver goes in water no shallower than 3.5'-4'. And for good reason. If the boat has a vibration, I don't want a bent prop shaft to be the reason. That can get EXPENSIVE!!!!

Ron's boat looks like the prop hit the road. Traveling with your outdrive down causes that. A big bump in the road, the trailer squats a little, and bang! damaged prop. Usually, at least in my experience, when you hit something in the water, more blades are damaged. But, a bit of contact with the highway usually damages just one blade, and usually the shaft with it. Just sayin'.....

I've hit submerged logs with the knocker. I don't lock the motor down(tilt) and it just "jumped" over the encumbrance. Add to the fact I was just idling though the area might have helped save things too. Chasing big bass does is not without hazard. That old Evinrude seems to be bullet-proof.(knock on wood)

Bob
Edited by Bob David on 11 June 2010 at 11:15am
RWHITE1948
BoatUS Member
BoatUS Member
Posted: 11 June 2010 at 11:20am | IP Logged

Well I have been sanding the bottom of the pulpit this morning, I have already sanded the top of the pulpit and stained it a cherry. Might stain the bottom of the pulpit later today. Right now I am sanding all that gray sun bleached wood off the swim platform and than I am going to stain it cherry also. Well break is over got to get back to sanding.

Ronald

<< Prev Page of 109 Next >>