Boater's Connection

Subject
Topic: Marathon Boat Owners Group
Norm_Richards
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 15 March 2011 at 1:23pm | IP Logged

Sir Weaver: Your envelope has arrived safely in Ontario. Marked as paind in FULL.

I'll be on the way to the post office very shortly.. Your flags will be on their way to you today.

Norm

Norm_Richards
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 20 March 2011 at 9:12am | IP Logged

I am told it was another beautiful day in Maryland on Saturday.. and Our Sir Joe Weaver #53 was continuing his Marathon refab!. Including his custom made "Marathon" Graphics.

Here are a few pics of his vessel with the graphics and dash with the electronics all installed.. New SS horns are installed - loud yacht horns.

Joe is also working on Marathon Graphics for his truck window and a embroided hat!!. Way to go Joe.. A total refurbish of his 1988 Bermuda Express 2550. Fantastic Job Joe.

Norm Richards
Marathon Boat Owners Group - Member #7
1989 Marathon Bermuda Sport 2550 "Vintage Haven"
RickyF
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 20 March 2011 at 10:29am | IP Logged
Any body have hair line gel coat cracks in their hull and transom like me?
Rick  
RWHITE1948
BoatUS Member
BoatUS Member
Posted: 20 March 2011 at 10:53am | IP Logged

great looking boat Joe.

Ronald

Bob David
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 20 March 2011 at 7:01pm | IP Logged

RickyF wrote:
Any body have hair line gel coat cracks in their hull and transom like me?
Rick    

Nature of the beast in these ol' girls. Sand them down, repair the gel coat and repaint........ Deja vu all over again........... seems like I've been down this road before........

Bob

Political Correctness is an idea fostered by a delusional,illogical liberal minority,promoted by an insane media,which supports the proposition that it is possible to pick up poop by the clean end.
Norm_Richards
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 21 March 2011 at 8:03pm | IP Logged

Just a reminder... For those who bought a flag(s): Please let me know by email or forum post when your packet has arrived.

They should be arriving any time.

Thanks

Norm Richards
RickyF
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 21 March 2011 at 8:38pm | IP Logged
mine arrived
Rick Falkiewicz
Norm_Richards
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 21 March 2011 at 9:41pm | IP Logged

Kewl.. Glad it quickly arrived ... 

Thanks Rick

Norm Richards
whmmer
BoatUS Member
BoatUS Member
Posted: 22 March 2011 at 3:12pm | IP Logged
Norm,

Got mine yesterday. I think I may take the faded one and have it framed and mounted on the wall of my office. Thanks for a great effort again! Two more weeks till the boat comes out of the shed.

Jim
Member # 4 Liquid Asset
"B.O.A.T." - Break Out Another Thousand

Minister of Justice and Law
Norm_Richards
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 22 March 2011 at 3:43pm | IP Logged

whmmer wrote:
Norm,

Got mine yesterday. I think I may take the faded one and have it framed and mounted on the wall of my office. Thanks for a great effort again! Two more weeks till the boat comes out of the shed.

Jim

Np, Glad it safely arrived there Sir Jim. I'm doing to do the exact same thing with my flags: The old one still good but an  ever slight fade will be framed and hung by the chimney with care while the shiny new one will dawn the bow to kick off our 2011 boating season. I have about a month or so to go before launch. (Launching after as I sand/refinish the swim platform).

Norm Richards
RWHITE1948
BoatUS Member
BoatUS Member
Posted: 23 March 2011 at 1:02pm | IP Logged

Norm, I received the flag today, Thank You

Ronald

bobjr
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 23 March 2011 at 4:47pm | IP Logged
can someone tell what prop size i need for a 2350. 350 engine 260 hp           please tell me.....linstriper@verizon.net
Norm_Richards
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 23 March 2011 at 6:24pm | IP Logged
RWHITE1948 wrote:

Norm, I received the flag today, Thank You

Ronald

No prob. Glad you got the flag.. hope it makes a great addition to your vessel.

Norm

Norm Richards
Norm_Richards
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 23 March 2011 at 6:41pm | IP Logged

bobjr wrote:
can someone tell what prop size i need for a 2350. 350 engine 260 hp           please tell me.....linstriper@verizon.net  

Hey Bob.. Welcome.. You must have a Sunblazer 2350. ??

Mine is a cheapy prop.. Aluminum 19 Pitch.. a bit sluggish for my boat out of the hole...(Especially when loaded .. but not bad top end for an alumimum prop. I do want to (someday) put a stainless Steel prop 17 or so pitch on it (pricey).. but it will give the best kick out of the hole and maintain better top end - (SS blades are ridged in the water for best water displacement and no bend but it is a killer on the drive shafts if you hit a rock!! )

I guess.. it's all a matter of choice on props.. do you want kick out of the hole faster (Tighter pitch) or have more top end speed (wider pitch)?    

Mercury marine has not a bad Prop chooser:

Here is the link:

http://www.mercurymarine.com/propellers/prop-selector/

More on this.. (I put together a prop document a couple yrs back.. I'll send it to you .. as soon as I can find it!!) and also  some background stuff on the group and Marathons that we put together.. 

Welcome again Bob..

Norm Richards
Norm_Richards
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 23 March 2011 at 6:45pm | IP Logged

Man.. they took the edit buttons out of post...

One Thing Bob concerning pros... can't exceed RPMS.. Too small a prop/pitch will cause the motor to cavitate and at top speed may over rev the RPMS. Too big a pitch on the prop and you will have low RPMS and no guts to get out of the hole or even hit top speed. 

Start with the prop calculator (link above) , and go from there...

Norm Richards
whmmer
BoatUS Member
BoatUS Member
Posted: 30 March 2011 at 10:00am | IP Logged
Bob,

I bought a new aluminum prop off ebay a month or so ago. It was under $140. including shipping.

Jim
Member # 4 Liquid Asset
"B.O.A.T." - Break Out Another Thousand

Minister of Justice and Law
jerry
BoatUS Member
BoatUS Member
Posted: 01 April 2011 at 10:36am | IP Logged

Hello all,

Almost at the start of another boating season here in the Northeast.

I am not sure why on the last list of Marathon owners and boats is shows that I have sold mine as it has not gone anywhere.

1989 Trojan International
12 Meter MotorYacht
Norm_Richards
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 01 April 2011 at 12:08pm | IP Logged

Sir Riblet.. Welcome Back Jerry.. Not Sold?. Rgr Sir.. May have gotten mixed up!. Not too hard to do once in a while keeping track of details of 60 or so. Will fix on next issue.

And the season is rapidly approaching.. finally starting to warm up a bit here.. Heading north for the day tomorrow.. to see that the place is still standing and perhaps watch the ice melt on the lake!!!

Welcome back Jerry

Norm Richards
Norm_Richards
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 01 April 2011 at 12:11pm | IP Logged

Mark of UK...  Flag arrive yet?.. It should have by now.. let me know via post or email if you could please.

Sir David - Your flags should have arrived too.. please pop me a post of email if you could. 

Norm Richards
Bob David
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 01 April 2011 at 3:34pm | IP Logged

If changing your prop, seriously consider stainless steel. More money, but better performance.

Bob

Political Correctness is an idea fostered by a delusional,illogical liberal minority,promoted by an insane media,which supports the proposition that it is possible to pick up poop by the clean end.
George_Nelson
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 15 April 2011 at 6:15am | IP Logged

Hello everyone from California.

While searching for information on my boat I found this forum which provided 98 percent of all the info I could find on the Marathon.

I recently became a proud owner of a 1985 Marathon Sunblazer. The boat is in decent shape; it has a brand new 270 HP 350V8 engine with only 6 hours since it was installed. The interior needs to be cleaned up and the upholstery needs to be redone.   

I am looking for an original helm seat or something that resembles it closely. Iíve found a couple of seat manufacturers that make two seater boat lounge seats, but nothing wide like the original seat.

If anyone has any information regarding the seat, I would greatly appreciate it.

George

George_Nelson
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 15 April 2011 at 6:40am | IP Logged

Iím sorry that first picture was huge. Iím going to try it again.

griffo
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 15 April 2011 at 7:53am | IP Logged
George - welcome to our merry band of Marathon owning pirates. Nice looking boat.
I can assure you that the original seat for your boat - which is the same as mine - is as good as a chocolate fireguard. If you sit at the helm you cannot see through the windshield, way too low. Take a look back a few messages at how Joe Weaver's is done, I intend to modify mine to the same as his - at my age it's tough on the old legs standing at the helm for most of the voyage!

Hello to all my old buddies out there, I'm still alive and kicking over here in sunny Spain. I've seen no chronicles from Bob for a long while, I can only presume that his admiral has banned him from all power tools and anything that requires a battery. I can just picture him sitting in his armchair cradling the new camera which is never allowed within a 100 mile radius of water.
Bill Griffiths
El Presidente
Marathon Boat Owners Group Member #2

griffo
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 15 April 2011 at 7:57am | IP Logged
George, as you probably know, the original seat is on runners with triple hinges which allows it to fold out flat. Nice idea but totally impracticle as a helm seat. I've had my boat 3 years now and have never folded the seats down, never found a reason to .
Bill Griffiths
El Presidente
Marathon Boat Owners Group Member #2

Norm_Richards
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 15 April 2011 at 9:11am | IP Logged

A cordial welcome to California: Sir George and to this band of merry Marathoners. Great looking boat George. & the big pics might be a strain on the forum page.. (Lateral sway of sorts) but the bigger gives better quality in most cases. 

Hey, for the record George, you are (officially) the 57th Marathon Owner to dawn these forum doors and we sure hope that you enjoy your new vessel.

We have put together some background docs... History etc on Marathon. If you send me your email, I'll be glad to send them to you George. (norm_richards@hotmail.com). (I try to keep the forum docs up to date.. but I really got to draft another members doc and new addition Boating Collage!).

Regarding the Helm seat, don't know where you could get one but might need to get one made using your old as a template.. They broke and jammed.. Bill is so correct.. the design is not exactly the best and there is non practicable aspect to the seat. Mine was yanked years ago and replaced the base with 2x4 ridged framing.. Ridged but strong and practical for a helm seat: I don't think the fold seat with aluminum base/frame appear to very strong.

Never hurts to see if a machine shop might be able to fabricate a better/stronger frame/base slider to make the seat functional. Keep us posted on what you do and welcome again George.

Bill: glad to see that you are still out there.. and in Spain.. Been awhile. Hope all is well with you and yours.

Spring is upon us here.. another month or so and most of the boats up will be hitting the water.. It will be great to be out on the water again.

Got a new HD dig camera at Christmas.. should provide for better pics and can take HD video.. NO BOB, you can't use it if you're anywhere within site of water!! but I'll try to take some HD video this summer and post it up.

Ok.. gtg.. Laters all.

Norm Richards
RWHITE1948
BoatUS Member
BoatUS Member
Posted: 15 April 2011 at 10:10am | IP Logged
Great looking Sunblazer George, I also have a Sunblazer but mine is a 1984 model. Like Norm says, your best bet is to use the old seat as a template
PainKiller
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 15 April 2011 at 10:29am | IP Logged
Welcome George

The Marathon is an extremely well built boat.  I have almost no complaints and always get nice compliments.  However, the original helm seat was a great idea that didn't work.  The height was wrong relative to the pilot and the windshield frame and the seat frame itself was not durable.  The aluminum angles that held the articulating frame bent over laterally and cracked on mine. 

http://s826.photobucket.com/home/mss-cp23

Go to my photobucket page and you will see what I've done to mine.  The articulating helm seat mechanism is original but has new stainless rivets at the hinge points.  I've replaced the original aluminum angle mounting bracket with an aluminum box channel which raised the seat considerably.  This raised the seat to a comfortable height but interferes with the location of the throttle.  Also, the rear facing passengers now cant reach the deck with their feet when sitting and slide off when I throttle up.  The interior and upholstery are all original.  This was a quick fix to get through the season last year.  I plan to alter the design next week before spring commissioning.

The new design will move the throttle, raise the helm seat, lower the aft facing seat, collapse for lounging and include storage underneath.

I'm pretty proud of the original condition of this vessel which I've had for ~10 years, however, the Admiral says it's time to upgrade the upholstery.  So that will happen simultaneously.  I will also be replacing the front plastic windows with tinted glass.  All of the window and screens will come out and their seals will be reconditioned or replaced.  I'll be installing a radio stack and adding sound insulation to the engine compartment also.

Then it's time to start work on the sailboat.  But the Marathon, "Pain Killer", wil be in the water ready and waiting for me and the family.  Photo shows the Admiral Sue, daughter Corinne (12), son Chad and his wife Lindsey and our 1985? Marathon Sunblazer on Lake Mendota in Madison Wisconsin.

Welcome aboard, George.  Hope you enjoy your Marathon as much as we do.
Norm_Richards
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 15 April 2011 at 6:25pm | IP Logged

Just received at note from Fred.."Tinker" Trethenway. It appears that he can't sign on in here - security issue. He's going via BOAT US admins to get recified.. but Sir George. Fred's not pertains to your helm seat issue.

In the mean time, He wishes for me to post his note up so you will be able to have his take on the issue.

QUOTE FRED:

"Some how I've been kicked out of the forum again and cant post. in regards to sir Georges problem with the seat- my solution was to take the steering mount loose and change the angle of the wheel to a more vertical position (more like old boats have) this places the steering wheel a little bit higher at the top of the wheel and closer to the helmsman.

I then rebuilt the seats so the forward facing seat is the magic 17 inches off the cockpit sole at the helm station and the rear facing seat in its original position. as the original sear mechanism did not move back and forth I then moved the whole assembly aft 3 inches. this allows most folks to run the boat in a relatively comfortable way.

The canopy I built for the boat collapsed under the weight of snow during the winter luckily nothing was damaged. still a little cold here so i will wait to get her up and running.
you can pass this info on to sir george if you so desire.
will start back on the forum if i can get boatsRus to let me

fred "
Norm Richards
George_Nelson
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 16 April 2011 at 5:46am | IP Logged

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. Iím really glad I found the Marathon owners group and to be part of it; Iím now officially member #57 and I am truly excited!

Thanks Bill, Norm, Ronald, Scott, and Fred for the advise on the seat. I found Scottís pictures particularly helpful in seeing how the original articulating helm seat system worked. The previous owner of my Sunblazer told me that that the original seats were not there when he purchased the boat in 2004. Instead they were replaced with a couple of large bucket helm seats. (See picture below)

I actually like the bucket seats it has, the only reason I wanted to replace them was so that I can seat more people, but I will look at different alternatives.

Iíve only had the boat for just a week; The first thing after I picked it up was a visit to the shop to have everything checked by a mechanic. I ended up leaving the boat there for a full seasonal service including a tune up, oil change, new impeller, etcÖ You get the idea.

I just got off the phone with the marine shop and I will pick the boat up at 5:00 PM today. I quickly realized what B.O.A.T stood for. lol

I hope to take the boat out to one of the local lakes tomorrow or Sunday to familiarize myself with the boat and its operation. I will share pictures and video with you of the event and let you  know how it runs.  

Sir Norm I greatly appreciate and I will take you up on your offer of a copy of the background docs... History etc on Marathon. If you would be so kind and email the documents to Pv.pilot@hotmail.com it would be wonderful.

Thanks in advance, and thank you all for the suggestions and recommendations.

George

George_Nelson
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 16 April 2011 at 5:49am | IP Logged

Here is another picture.

George_Nelson
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 16 April 2011 at 7:24am | IP Logged

Got the boat running, here is the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBPkjVOz-cM

RWHITE1948
BoatUS Member
BoatUS Member
Posted: 16 April 2011 at 11:02am | IP Logged

Hi George, Ronald here, Norm will be sending you some material about Marathon boats and we also have a Marathon group Flag. You might want to ask Norm about that. Happy Boating and welcome to the group.

Ronald

ketchum kid
BoatUS Member
BoatUS Member
Posted: 16 April 2011 at 4:14pm | IP Logged
Hi George, welcome to the group of Marathoners.
"If the course is hard, still steer."
Cobalt 272
George_Nelson
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 16 April 2011 at 7:44pm | IP Logged

Hello everyone. Well, I took the boat out to Lake Elsinore in southern California this morning to try it out. I was at the ramp at 6:00 AM with my son Mike. It was a gorgeous day.

The boat started up fine and I let it run for about 5 minutes or so to warm it up and suddenly the engine stopped running. I could not get it to start again.  At first I thought that the fuel might be too old. The previous owner said he had put fuel last November which was the last time he used the boat, and he had added fuel stabilizer to the fuel tank to preserve it through the winter and opined the fuel in the tank should still be good. After inspecting the ignition system I found that the ignition points were burnt out.

As you can imagine the fun ended early. I took the boat back home and upon further inspection I now believe that the distributor may be faulty in that it has a bit of play which may be causing the engine to misfire and is burning out the ignition points. I am not a mechanic, so it is pure speculation.

Has  anyone have had this issue? I was trying to find the distributor online but Iím not sure how to determine which one it is. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have a  5.7L, 8 Cyl, 270HP, 350CID OMC.

George.

George_Nelson
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 16 April 2011 at 7:46pm | IP Logged

This is a short video with the boat at the lake

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6ce33c21YI

Norm_Richards
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 17 April 2011 at 8:57am | IP Logged

Sir Scott:

Great photos of "Pain Killer" visuals and technicals of the seat plus one of "On the Rocks".

You were mentioning adding sound insultation to the engine compartment this year.. I have been thinking about doing the same thing. My insulation is still attached to the roof cover but is slowly disintegrating. It is @ 5/8 inch thickness fire resistant material attached to the deck entryway lid by screws. I haven't investigated replacement yet but looks easy to replace if one can find the right insulation material. Have you found/located suitable replacement material?

PS: Did you still want a flag? I have one saved here for you. Just let me know.

Norm Richards
Norm_Richards
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 17 April 2011 at 9:18am | IP Logged

George.. The marina did your stuff this year.. including a tuneup right?. Might just be a slightly over or under tuned adjustment of the distributor when they did the tuneup. 

It almost sounds like it the distributor loosened up after the adjustment and now may not be allowing the correct firing of the engine and choked out the engine.

The marina that did your stuff should be able to tell very quickly. They can replace the points (If need be) then recheck/adjust timing as per firing gauge.

There is one other scenario that could do it - that is bad gas!.  If there wasn't enough stabilzer in the gas.. it might have moisture in the gas - may not let it be ignited or a possibly plugged fuel filter. Your marina should be able to tell.

Norm Richards
George_Nelson
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 17 April 2011 at 4:08pm | IP Logged

Norm, I had the boat serviced at the marina and I think they connected a 5 gallon tank with fresh fuel when they were tuning up the boat, and the engine fired right up as it can be seen in the video I posted. The mechanic turned the engine off and on several times and it worked every time.

They hinted that it wouldnít be a bad idea to drain the old fuel since I didnít know how old it was. But the tank was 80% full of fuel, roughly  60 gallons.

The mechanic told me that they were having a hard time getting the engine started, and suspected the fuel was bad, but with the cost of gasoline these days he said he would hate to see all that fuel go to waste (about $250 worth) and recommended I fill the tank with good quality (brand name) high octane fresh fuel and try it. I did, but the tank filled up with just 6 gallons perhaps not enough.

From what you said I reckon that more than likely the old fuel is the culprit and not the distributor.

I mightíve burnt the ignition points just trying over and over to get the engine started. The mechanic shop will get in touch with me tomorrow. Hopefully I can get the issue resolved and take the boat out again sometime next week.

Thanks Norm for sharing your insight.

George

RickyF
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 17 April 2011 at 8:46pm | IP Logged
Has anybody replaced the front windows on their Marathron. Can you still buy the seals and the plastic framing around the outside of the window?  
Norm_Richards
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 18 April 2011 at 7:59am | IP Logged

Rick et All: Joe Weaver (53) has restored his windows. If anyone knows it's Joe.

Late last night, received an email from Joe (Joe Weaver 53). He has done a pile more work on his Marathon: from new paint -interlux brightside urathane in "kingston grey" - close to the original color. He wasn't happy with the blemishes in his colorgel coat. The new the paint turned out great and he added new black strips, new registration numbers, caulked around the rubrail/black. New stainless steel water fill neck and waste neck spouts, and the two vents. He has mentioned that he still has to get new heating element for the hot water tank.

He has already installed 2 new marine batterys, changed the oil/filter - Engine running... He will launch the totally rebuilt boat very soon. He told me that he will put the MBOG flag on when he launches the boat and send us pics of the inaugeral launch of his new Marathon. 

Below are a few more pics of his restoration of his 88 Marathon Bermuda Express 2550 in progress. Great Job Sir Weaver.

Norm Richards

<< Prev Page of 109 Next >>