Boater's Connection

Subject
Topic: Marathon Boat Owners Group
Bob David
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 04 June 2008 at 5:20pm | IP Logged
Having just acquired a 1985 21 1/2-foot Marathon cabin cruiser, I have been scouring the web for information. As many other Marathon owners may attest, I have met with much futility.

In another thread I found many other owners. The idea came to mind of starting a Marathon Boat Owners Group on this site.

If anyone would be interested please start it here or email me at the address in my profile.

These good old boats need love and company. Maybe we could get site staff to give us our own board for discussion.

Bob

Edited by Bob David on 05 June 2008 at 2:20am
griffo
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 05 June 2008 at 8:51am | IP Logged
Hi everybody - this is president Griffo posting.

Come on then guys & gals - let's have all you Marathon owners posting a reply. If we find out how many are out there and what models, we may be able to help each other as Bob says " to keep these good old boats alive".
Incidentaly mine is going strong and is in the water at Torrevieja in Spain. I live about an hour from there but spend every weekend on the boat (and most of my money!)

Bill

griffo
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 05 June 2008 at 8:55am | IP Logged
Bob
do you have any pictures you can post?
I've just noticed I'm 6 hours in front of you guys, it's 15:00 here.

Bill
offshore25
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 05 June 2008 at 10:09am | IP Logged
I am glad to see that there is a group of people who care enough about these boats to sustain a forum. I have an '86 Sunblazer 2550 that I am trying to bring back up to snuff. The boat was badly neglected by it previous owner. I am trying to undo years of bad maintenance. I have done a pretty thorough cleaning of the cabin but I still need new cushions and a new porta-potty. I have to replace one of the head walls and some of the trim. I can attempt to post pictures if anyone wants to see the progress.
griffo
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 05 June 2008 at 3:32pm | IP Logged
gcameron....

Thanks for your link to the group that BoatUS supports, however our boats were not manufactured by Marathon Marine, they are a totally different Company who manufacture heavy gauge, welded aluminium, jet powered boats. A bit different from our 'old ladies'!!

Bill
Bob David
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 05 June 2008 at 3:33pm | IP Logged
gcameron, I cannot find the post you referenced. Can you provide a better link? A "click and link" perhaps?

offshore25, I am in the US, northern Indiana to be exact. I plan to use the "little boat" on area reservoirs and possibly take it to the Inland Waterway in northern Michigan, Burt Lake, Indian River, and Mullet Lake.

The Marathon needs some TLC. The cabin area was neglected and the wood work needs to be refinished/replaced. Seats and cushions are in great shape. It will  also need the top replaced, sad shape. One gauge needs replaced, but I might replace them all when the boat gets repainted. GPS also needs to be added.

I hope to have it repainted this winter. The better half has already chosen the hull colors. I get the honors of decking the boat out with its sound system, lighting, and other nickel and dime repairs/replacements. We also need to name her. I think that the better half has an idea for that, too. I have not been privy to that information, though. I thought of naming it after her, The Angela Rose.

The biggest complaint I have with the boat is lack of storage and aft deck room. I haven't had it on the water yet this year, hopefully I can do that over the 4th of July this year.

While the boat is off the trailer, I am also hoping to repaint the trailer and update it also.

Bill, I have taken a video of the boat and a few pictures. The grandson graduated from Junior High school a couple of weeks ago and hasn't returned my camera. I will take pics as soon as the camera is returned.

You Continentals can never get the time right!!!

Bob

griffo
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 05 June 2008 at 3:40pm | IP Logged
Bob

look at it this way - we celebrate Christmas before you, we celebrate New Years Eve before you AND I get to the pub for a beer before you!!!

Cheers

Bill
Bob David
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 05 June 2008 at 3:48pm | IP Logged
According to an old country and western song by Alan Jackson and Jimmy Buffet.... "It's always 5 o'clock somewhere".

Do you have pictures of your boat? I just finished painting below the water line on my boat a few days ago. The color scheme will change, but it sure helped the "little ol' lady" look nicer for now.

Christmas, BAH HUMBUG!! My boats are out of the water then. They are not icebreakers.

Bob
griffo
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 05 June 2008 at 3:54pm | IP Logged
Bob

I do have a few pictures but haven't a clue on how to post them on here!!! Sounds like you have a lot of work on your boat, I think you are a hero to spend so much TLC to keep your Marathon alive.

Offshore25 - great to hear from you - I'm sure that all Marathon owners will be more than pleased to see pictures of your progress.

Bill
whmmer
BoatUS Member
BoatUS Member
Posted: 05 June 2008 at 3:59pm | IP Logged
Tired 170 engines? I repowerd last year with a short block from Premium Powertrain. Great folks to deal with and their prices were somewhere around $1600 less than mercruiser. 
Member # 4 Liquid Asset
"B.O.A.T." - Break Out Another Thousand

Minister of Justice and Law
griffo
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 05 June 2008 at 4:25pm | IP Logged
Bob

sorted it! here's a few pictures

Bill

griffo
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 06 June 2008 at 4:03pm | IP Logged
Bob

We are back in business!!
Now let's see how many REAL Marathon owners we can get to join our group!

Bill
Skyeyes
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 06 June 2008 at 9:39pm | IP Logged

Glad to find this thread. Will strongly support you guys with anything I find out. I purchase a marathon powerboat last march and couldnt find any info about it. Most I know is it is a 25ftr Volvo Penta outdrive and the engine was upgraded to a 454.. Have yet to put it on the water. Hauling it to florida so I can ship it home to the caribbean.

I just finished redoing the complete interior and deck. I want to repaint the outside and I was told that alwlgrip paint is the latest and a very good exterior paint for it.

I also need to replace the small refridgerator it has in it as it appears to be non functional.

I will post some pic later to see if someone can help me with all the switches on the dash.

Any advice would be appreciated.

p.s i am a very inexperienced boater. This is my starter boat and would love for it to be a good starting experience.

Skyeyes
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 06 June 2008 at 9:45pm | IP Logged

Griffo,

I just took a good look at your pics. Your boat is Identical to mine from what I see. All the same on deck and engine. Any info you have to help would be appreciated.

Bob David
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 06 June 2008 at 11:06pm | IP Logged
All,

Well, being recognized is victory #1. Thanks, Gordon. If we could now get some of the other posts placed here, I promise I won't pull in front of you at the gas pump nor will I force you to cross my wake. And believe me, the other boat moves some water.

As I said previously, maybe in the other board, I have the baby of the group, a 1985 Marathon 2150 Weekender. The boat hasn't seen water since '04-'05. Just absolutely filthy inside, leaves, dirt and grime. Needs work but almost all is cosmetic. Upholstery is miraculously in great shape. Top needs replaced, head needs to be replaced(authorities might not take hanging it over the side as proper water etiquette), interior needs cleaned, light bulbs need replaced and upgraded..... Nickel and dime stuff.

Got a package Thursday with bunch of goodies. The new compass and  GPS showed up, along with some other goodies. I got a Garmin GPSMAP 520. I shopped around and compared  systems and this seemed like the best buy. It has optional g2 capability, 5" screen.... I won't be using the depthfinder option, the boat already has one.

Here's what the manufacturer(Garmin) writes. "For mariners with a keen eye for value, this versatile chartplotter delivers a lot of navigation for the money. It features a bright 5” QVGA color display, satellite-enhanced worldwide basemap imagery, and an SD card slot that makes it easy to add features with the optional BlueChart® g2 Vision card. Like all Garmin plotters, these utilize WAAS/EGNOS-enabled GPS receivers for extreme high accuracy (typically within 3 meters)." Get me within 9 feet and I can hit it with a rock.

Just remember, Bill, my membership card is Member #001!!

Bob
Edited by Bob David on 06 June 2008 at 11:42pm
griffo
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 07 June 2008 at 5:04am | IP Logged
Skyeyes - welcome to the thread!!

My engine is a Volvo Penta 225e, 5 litre V8 with 280 outdrive.
My boat is 1988 and I bought her 4 weeks ago. As you can imagine she needed, and still needs, a lot of work to get her up to scratch.
The hydraulic trim flaps didn't work so at cruising speed the bow was trying to go skywards. The engine tilt didn't work, the batteries were wired wrong, the windows wouldn't slide, the engine had a misfire -...etc. etc. I've fixed all of the above and as time goes on she is improving and slowly getting back to her former glory.
By the way she was originally registered in New Jersey.
Tell me what info you need and if I can I will help.
I have no manuals of any sort for the actual boat, so this has been 'suck it and see' so far. I have downloaded manuals from Volvo for the engine and outdrive - they have been a big help.

Bob.....

membership #001 eh? I suppose you expect lifetime free membership!

Cheers for now, I'm much happier now our thread is back where it belongs - it has a chance of being seen by many more Marathon owners.

Bill
griffo
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 07 June 2008 at 5:13am | IP Logged
Skyeyes -

My fridge is duff as well. They are WELL expensive. I'm thinking of taking it out and buying one of these electric cool boxes instead. Much cheaper and adequate to keep the beers cold!

Are you sure your boat is 25 ft? As far as I can tell from my research, they made a 2350 which was 23 1/2 ft, a 24 ( the same as mine ) which is 24 ft, and a 2550 which was 25 1/2 ft.
( I've only included those around the 25 ft mark )
I may be wrong on the above, someone out there will no doubt correct me if I am.

Bill
Bob David
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 07 June 2008 at 8:25am | IP Logged
Fellow Members of BoatUS.com,

Specifically, Mike(lanbuilder), Steve(Mike M2) Jesse Eldridge(jwe7119), Raymond(rduhon). Please forgive me for using your real names, but I fell much better giving thanks to real people rather than screen entities. I appreciate you "ol' salts" standing up for the few of us that couldn't seem to be heard over the din. I also think that you helped us get our thread back where it belongs, I truly thank you for that. Now we may be able to self educate ourselves, as well as educate others, about our little mistresses.

I can't speak for the rest of the "Marathoners", but this is actually my third boat in the stable. I also have a 1990 Carver 3207. It is my Erie and Great Lakes boat. Class rig all the way. Oh, how I love that flying bridge. I feel like Adm. Halsey. Not a better feeling in the world than to be up there, coffee cup in hand, pulling out past the sea wall into the lake. Better than sex, well maybe better than sex. The story behind  me acquiring this boat is something I'll leave for another thread.

The third boat is my "Knocker". A little 14-foot 1963 Lone Star aluminum semi-deep V that I use for fishing in local rivers, reservoirs, gravel pits and small lakes here in Indiana, Western Ohio, and Southern Michigan. I wonder how it stays afloat at times. It's powerplant is an oldie too, a 1957 5.5hp Evinrude Fisherman. I've got the quintessential one pull motor here. If it ain't broke, who am I to fix it?

Maybe gcameron thought he was working with some noodling catfishermen that couldn't afford anything but a jon boat or some other rundown piece of lake trash that wouldn't be allowed in any marina. Doesn't matter though. I can understand his confusion with the old boats vs. the new Marathon Group's boats. Times change and sometimes we aren't aware of those changes.

I'll be the first to say that I didn't pay a dime to get this boat. And, honestly, my Carver is docked next to a boat that is in MUCH worse shape than the Marathon. I often wonder how my dockmate stays afloat, and I'm not trying to be a comic. I truly expect that one day I'll go to get on the boat and see the salvers  trying to pull the other boat from the bottom of the marina. It is really that bad!!! I will have to get a picture of this boat to post.

Again, my deepest appreciation in helping us be heard. Now maybe I can get some input on how to bring my little girl to her old beauty.

Welcome to our, albeit it tiny, corner of the world, Skyeyes. I hope you can teach and learn with us.

griffo!!! Shame on you!! You forgot my sweetheart, the 2150 Weekender!!!

Free lifetime membership? Wasn't that part of the deal? Besides, after putting this boat back together and the price of gasoline, I may have to come visit you for a meal. Won't be able to afford to feed myself, or the little woman, or the dogs, or the cats..... Paying dues would be a bit of a distraction.

Again, thanks all and welcome.

Bob

Edited by Bob David on 07 June 2008 at 11:32am
griffo
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 07 June 2008 at 8:41am | IP Logged
Bob

How could I possibly forget the craft belonging to our founder member!!!
I would love you to come visit for a meal - pretty expensive night out though with a flight from Indiana to Alicante in Spain!!!
Sounds like your house is similar to mine, I have two German Shepherds, two cats and a very noisy african grey parrot. Fortunately I have two teenage sons living at home who take care of them all while I'm away on the boat!!!!!

All owners :-

Time we had some photos on here! Am I the only one with pictures of the love of their life - whoops, just got a slap off my wife!

Bill
Bob David
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 07 June 2008 at 9:26am | IP Logged
Flight? Who needs to fly when one has a boat?

I have taken the Carver on a Great Lakes excursion where the hull  touched each of the waters of each lake, except Lake Ontario. If  all is well next year, I plan to duplicate the trip in the Marathon. Maybe take both boats and let the grandson  pilot one. I don't know, though. The Carver is a very nice boat and I'd hate to have to pull either of the boats off of a shoal.

I am hoping to take some pictures today. But, at this very moment, the water is falling from the sky and not passing under the keel of my boat. Just something not right about that scenario.

Please re-read my previous post. I think that I was editing it while you were reading.

I got a present in the mail Thursday. Some new toys for the boat. The new GPS unit showed up, along with the compass and some other upgrades and repair parts. Did some work on her yesterday, until the rain ruined the party.

Your wife should have beaten you senseless!! Never let her know that the boat  is your mistress!! One way of making sure she, the wife that is, is a part of the deal would be to name the boat after her. And don't call the boat "Big Mama", "Excess Baggage", or "Sea Hag" and tell the wife the boat is named after her. Bad things may happen to you in your sleep should you do that.

While working on the boat yesterday, I had the engine cowl off. I noticed two wires that were cut and a tube, presumably from a pump. I traced the tube and found it went to the stern and up the port side. Upon further checking things out, I found that it probably goes to the fresh water tank. What size pump does your boat have for this use? I would like to have enough pressure to at least wash dishes, a shower might be considered also. But with a 17g reservoir, the any shower would have to be a quick one.

I would also like to  add some sort of finishing touch to the forward cabin. I thought carpeting the roof. But upon further thought, you see I'm a slow thinker, I came to the conclusion that the carpet may hold  moisture and begin to smell of mold and mildew. Any thoughts here?

Bob
griffo
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 07 June 2008 at 9:54am | IP Logged
Bob

my water tank is about the same size as yours, I believe it's 70 litres which is about the same. I'm not sure what size pump I have, that's one part that was actually working when I bought the boat so haven't ripped it apart to investigate yet. Next time I'm at the boat I will endeavour to find the specs. plate on the pump and let you know. Mine feeds enough flow and pressure to easily wash up and have a shower.
The roof of my cabin is carpeted, I have no problems but I live in a totally different climate to you. I've attached a couple more photos.

cheers for now

Bill

offshore25
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 07 June 2008 at 11:54am | IP Logged
Good afternoon gents. These are some pictures of my boat "Fish On II" right after she was brought home. I have since done some cleaning of the interior and started doing some of the electrical re-wiring. I am going to pull the merc 470 that was cobbled in the engine space and replace it when I am able with a pair of merc 3.0 liter 135's and alpha outdrives. The 470 that was put in is too tall for the space with the engine cover sitting on the carb. My wife wants to rename the boat "Day Old Sushi" because she thinks it's past it's prime and would have been better off left alone.

Edited by offshore25 on 07 June 2008 at 11:27pm
offshore25
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 07 June 2008 at 11:55am | IP Logged
I will try again with the pictures

griffo
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 07 June 2008 at 12:01pm | IP Logged
Offshore25

your pictures need to be on a web host site - I use www.PictureHosting.com - completely free.

Once you've uploaded to their site you can copy the bb code for your picture and paste it into your post.
If you hit preview post you should be able to see the pictures before you actually post it.

Cheers
Bill
Bob David
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 07 June 2008 at 12:08pm | IP Logged
Damned, I forgot about you, offshore25!!! Old age and a feeble mind don't seem to mix on this end!!

Still have a vertical current(rain) going on here. The camera is at the ready if it ever lets up.

I do have a short video, but need to figure out how to upload it to the thread.

Killing some time here while offshore reloads his pics. Ah, the pop-up messenger just arrived.

One question for you offshore25 and Bill, and any other that may know, where is the data plate is located on these Marathons? The Carver's is in rather plain sight.

Bob
Edited by Bob David on 07 June 2008 at 12:14pm
offshore25
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 07 June 2008 at 12:13pm | IP Logged
Here are some interior shots after I brought her home and got laughed at by the wife.

Edited by offshore25 on 07 June 2008 at 6:33pm
offshore25
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 07 June 2008 at 12:15pm | IP Logged
Sorry about the pictures not coming through. Maybe if I use iphoto it will work.
offshore25
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 07 June 2008 at 2:05pm | IP Logged
OK lets see if this works. These should be some exterior shots of her after some pressure washing. I copied and pasted the BB code from picturehosting.com hopefully this time it will work. Sorry about the excessive posts with blank pictures.

Edited by offshore25 on 07 June 2008 at 6:29pm
offshore25
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 07 June 2008 at 2:06pm | IP Logged
I tried uploading them to picturehosting.com
looks like it's a no go
griffo
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 07 June 2008 at 4:01pm | IP Logged
Bob
I've not seen a data plate on my boat! Sorry can't help

Bill
rduhon
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 07 June 2008 at 5:21pm | IP Logged
Info. sharing. If you don't succeed in posting pictures, just edit that post with the new pictures. You won't be having a lot of blank posts.
Bob David
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 07 June 2008 at 11:41pm | IP Logged
OK, guys, the vertical current(rain) stopped and I was able to get some pics.

offshore25, I'm glad to say I don't have the job ahead of me that you do, thankfully.

I used flickr. Files were too big for  www.PictureHosting.com. I will try to compress the data overnight and try again tomorrow.

Bob

Edited by Bob David on 08 June 2008 at 1:47am
offshore25
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 07 June 2008 at 11:59pm | IP Logged
Here are a couple of pictures of the cabin after a liberal application of elbow grease. I finally have the water heater and battery charger working. The fridge runs but doesn't get cold, that is the next thing to look at. Before I start getting money together for the repower I am going to have the transom checked for rot. The boat was initially equiped with twin 4 cylinders but they were removed and steel plates were bolted over the outdrive mounts. And yes the Loran C is going to be replaced sooner or later.

Edited by offshore25 on 08 June 2008 at 12:00am
jwe7119
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 08 June 2008 at 12:51am | IP Logged

I have been looking for a 110V panel like that one. Does anyone know where i can buy one? Im at the point of going to a boat junk yard for it. I can get the breakers cheap, but the little piece of plastic with holes in it is appearently gold plated (or maybe made from diesel)

Edited by jwe7119 on 08 June 2008 at 12:52am
Jesse
Bob David
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 08 June 2008 at 12:59am | IP Logged
Try ebay motors. I've been getting much of my stuff there.

Bob
griffo
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 08 June 2008 at 4:48am | IP Logged
Offshore25

Nice pictures! You have a lot of work on your hands, but what you have achieved so far has made a massive difference. Best of luck to you - keep up the hard work!!
Looking at your external pictures I am pretty sure that you have a 2350. There is one identical in the mooring directly opposite mine - it is a 1984 and is for sale for 19000 euros!!!

You are right, your interior and most of the exterior are identical to my boat, I even have exactly the same shore-power panel. Do you know where I can get the plug that fits in the port side of the boat to connect shore power? I can't get one over here presumably because these boats are American.

Does anybody out there know where the capacity plate is supposed to be?

I'm sulking today - the weather is crap and I should be on the boat.

Bill
griffo
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 08 June 2008 at 5:12am | IP Logged
Bob

just did a bit of searching on capacity plates.
The info I got is that capacity plates became federal law in 1972
for boats of 20 feet and less. I don't know if this has now changed to include bigger boats, but ours may have been made before the legislation.

Bill
jwe7119
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 08 June 2008 at 9:35am | IP Logged
West Marine is about to open a store in turkey i dont know how much shipping would be but i know they sell the shore power connectors.
Edited by jwe7119 on 08 June 2008 at 9:36am
Jesse
rduhon
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 08 June 2008 at 11:43am | IP Logged
JWE7119

There is a place in Kemah, Texas called Boaters Resale Shop. It is a consignment store. If you have used parts to sell, people send it to them and they sell it and make a small commission fee.
You might want to look them up, they may have the elect. panel you are looking for.
offshore25
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 08 June 2008 at 2:39pm | IP Logged
Griffo you might be able to buy the electrical panel or one very similar online, at either boatersworld.com or westmarine.com. Best of luck
Edited by offshore25 on 08 June 2008 at 2:39pm

Page of 109 Next >>