Boater's Connection

Subject
Topic: Marathon Boat Owners Group
Norm_Richards
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 22 January 2009 at 8:51pm | IP Logged

griffo wrote:

Norm, seems you may have member #14 in tow, well done my friend.  

Yup Bill doin a bit of PR work on the side..(lol).. We'll see if any drop in and partake of this elite(lol) forum. Possibly #14 AND #15.. Michael in Cleveland OH and Paul from Saratoga Springs NY (but he is currently in Florida right now). We'll see.

griffo wrote:
I personally would like to see the individual country flags in the corners of our 'club' flag. We have been brought together across the globe on this forum and it would be nice to reflect this in our own ensign.

My rules are as follows Norm. I am obliged to fly a Spanish courtesy flag on my boat which is only the three stripes with no Royal Crest. This would be fine for my corner flag on our ensign.

I like the individual country flags too.. either in the corners or.. as I have been playing with the flag graphics. they also look extremely good in a row just below the crest/ring.. 

(All of it looks especially good if I put a globe (by the way, that would be an oblong semi transparent world globe graphic that I found), and nest it on the top of the logo/ring.. the flags at the bottom balance the globe at the top.. looks very good I think. (So now in draft mode of flag one).. but now to your flag Bill...

Let me get this straight.. Please clarify this to my foggy mind. 

It's ok to use a Spanish flag on our Marathon bow flag but only if it doesn't have the royal ensigia crest?

So its ok to put a plain Spanish flag -just the colors, no royal ensignia on our Marathon flag?     

Is that correct?

Edited by Norm_Richards on 22 January 2009 at 9:07pm
Norm Richards
Marathon Boat Owners Group - Member #7
1989 Marathon Bermuda Sport 2550 "Vintage Haven"
shomp67
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 22 January 2009 at 9:40pm | IP Logged

To all who have OMC outdrives

http://www.hastings.org/~stuart/cobra/

Good info

***[]D***   ***clink***

Tracy

MBOG Member Lucky #13 - ATICA
Tinkering - Keeps the mind humming and the soul tuned up.
Bob David
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 22 January 2009 at 10:03pm | IP Logged
shomp67 wrote:

All, info only for those who don't know.

February 1, 2009:  The Phaseout of 121.5 MHz Beacons

for Satellite Distress Alerting

In October 2000 the International Cospas-Sarsat Program, announced at its 25th Council Session held in London, UK that it plans to terminate satellite processing of distress signals from 121.5 and 243 MHz emergency beacons on February 1, 2009.  All mariners, aviators, and individuals using emergency beacons on those frequencies will need to switch to those operating on the newer, more reliable, digital

406 MHz frequency if they want to be detected by satellites.

Anyone who has an old EPIRB needs get new one and anyone about to purchase one thru evilbay or elsewhere take heed.

Mine are the newer ones. I bought them in September and was informed at the time. The folks at the store  I bought them were nice enough to let me know in advance. And they gave me quite a deal on the two. Almost 2 for 1, but not quite.

Still working on the pics, Norm.

Bob
Political Correctness is an idea fostered by a delusional,illogical liberal minority,promoted by an insane media,which supports the proposition that it is possible to pick up poop by the clean end.
Norm_Richards
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 22 January 2009 at 10:18pm | IP Logged
Oh Bob...

If you can get the Big M off your camera and into the puter.. send me an email adding the pics as file attachments.. they will be better graphically that way.. If you post and I try to draw from the post, the images won't be as sharp. 
Norm Richards
Norm_Richards
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 23 January 2009 at 7:09am | IP Logged

Its ok Bob.. see my email to you.. I got them in full size after I found the Big M pics and you on flickr. 

I'll also try work on a BiG M non-slanted version.

Norm Richards
deaddog
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 23 January 2009 at 7:44am | IP Logged

Marathoners,

For those of you that do not have a flag pole mounted, I wanted to share a product that I highly recommend. This product is a flag pole socket and works great for mounting on the very front of the bow rail. It is a bit pricey but I found no other product that would mount on the rail at the center bend. This is just the socket to mount the pole. I bought a used teak pole at a boat swap shop for $10.00. Anyways here is the link. I believe it is the third product listed.

http://www.forespar.com/onlineCatalog/2009/Sailboat/sailing_ railfastHardware2009.shtml

Christopher Grunder
Marathon Boat Owners Group Member #10
“Beer is living proof that God loves us”
whmmer
BoatUS Member
BoatUS Member
Posted: 23 January 2009 at 8:07am | IP Logged
Christopher,

Did you try this one? About half the price:

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte /10001/-1/10001/114769/377%20710/0/flag%20pole%20mount/Prima ry%20Search/mode%20matchallpartial/0/0?N=377%20710&Ne=0& amp;Ntt=flag%20pole%20mount&Ntk=Primary%20Search&Ntx =mode%20matchallpartial&Nao=0&Ns=0&keyword=flag% 20pole%20mount&isLTokenURL=true&storeNum=5004&su bdeptNum=7&classNum=192

Jim

Member # 4 Liquid Asset
"B.O.A.T." - Break Out Another Thousand

Minister of Justice and Law
deaddog
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 23 January 2009 at 8:12am | IP Logged
I am not able to follow the link.......
Christopher Grunder
shomp67
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 23 January 2009 at 8:17am | IP Logged
whmmer
BoatUS Member
BoatUS Member
Posted: 23 January 2009 at 8:29am | IP Logged
Christopher,

Go to West Marine.com  and search flag pole mount

jim
Member # 4 Liquid Asset

Norm_Richards
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 23 January 2009 at 8:41am | IP Logged

Link didn't work Jim.. (cut & paste brings up an error) but here is another link to westmarine's flag/staff pages.. Prices are good there!!

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SiteSear chView?dispName=INTERIOR,%20FLAGS%20_%20GIFTS&jspStoreDi r=wm51&catalogId=10001&Ntt=Flags+%26+Staffs&N=37 7+710+1189&langId=-1&page=CategoryDisplayLevel1& omniTag=Category%3aFlags+%26+Staffs&storeId=10001

I need to get a bow staff and rail anchor too..  Hmmm.. Jim.. your signature comment.. B.O.A.T.. (Break out another thousand).. man it's so true!!.. lol.

Norm Richards
deaddog
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 23 January 2009 at 8:42am | IP Logged

If this is the one you are talking about, I did look at that one before I bought the other. I am particular to the old girl and thought it did not have a clean look the way it mounts on the rail. You are right about half the price. I guess it depends on how much money you are willing to spend on the ladies.   

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte /10001/-1/10001/114769/377%20710/0/flag%20pole%20mount/Prima ry%20Search/mode%20matchallpartial/0/0?N=377%20710&Ne=0& amp;Ntt=flag%20pole%20mount&Ntk=Primary%20Search&Ntx =mode%20matchallpartial&Nao=0&Ns=0&keyword=flag% 20pole%20mount&isLTokenURL=true&storeNum=5004&su bdeptNum=7&classNum=192

Christopher Grunder
deaddog
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 23 January 2009 at 9:04am | IP Logged

Photobucket" border="0" alt="Flag pole Daisy J III" />

This is my setup.........

Christopher Grunder
shomp67
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 23 January 2009 at 10:39am | IP Logged

Good Laugh,

Enjoy

Tracy

griffo
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 23 January 2009 at 10:58am | IP Logged
You have read correctly Norm, all of your assumptions are totally spot on.

Tracy, are you sure your cartoon was not written by Bob, there are some references there that are uncannily like the quips we get from him.

Worked on the boat today, less than fifteen minutes to get there now, wonderful. My lad took some pictures of the dashboard I will post them when I get them off his camera.

You Know You're Getting Old When...
Your best friend is dating someone half their age... And isn't breaking any laws.
Bill Griffiths
El Presidente
Marathon Boat Owners Group Member #2

griffo
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 23 January 2009 at 11:02am | IP Logged
Norm, congratulations to you, your PR skills are outstanding.
We may need to think of ordering 25!
Bill Griffiths
El Presidente

rduhon
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 23 January 2009 at 1:39pm | IP Logged
[QUOTE=shomp67]

For anyone looking for hosable floor matting instead of carpet for their boat, check out Tractor supply.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Produ ctDisplay?mpe_id=12075&cm_cr=No+Campaign-_-Web+Activity- _-Cross+Sell+Up+Sell-_-ProductDetail_Espot1-_-Flexgard+Inter locking+Wash+Rack+Mat+For+Horse+Stall&catalogId=10001&am p;am p;productId=43445&evtype=CpgnClick&intv_id=15001& ; ;langId=-1&storeId=10551&ddkey=http:CatalogSearchRes ultView

Tracy

[/QUOTE

That stuff will get pretty hot. I had it in a cattle trailer and cut off what was not needed.
I put it in the back of my truck bed and it gets super hot when it sits in the sunshine.

Norm_Richards
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 23 January 2009 at 1:44pm | IP Logged

Ok I understand about your flag Bill. I'll get another Spanish flag: one with just the colors that we can use on our Marathon Flag. 

And Yes Sir. I am trying to gain biz for this forum, El Presidente Griffiths, but so far we haven't seen # 14 or # 15 arrive on the seen as of yet.. But we'll see.. 

And still many of our own are still AWOL.. Nada from #3, #5, #6, #8, #9, #11 or #12 for a bit!!.. Hopefully they pop back on sooner or later.. but sooner would be better.

On the phone with Flag Companies both yesterday afternoon and again today.. will let you all know my findings asap.

Executive Director Public Relations & Administration 

(lol)

Edited by Norm_Richards on 23 January 2009 at 8:28pm
Norm Richards
deaddog
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 23 January 2009 at 1:54pm | IP Logged

I too have been trying to strum up more Marathon owners and surfing the web I found this very old post of 2005. But the guy still is active on the forum. I signed up so I could post him, but I still cannot sign on to the site to contact him. Looks like a potential member.

http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:OzHJxRdRWykJ:www.coastal outdoors.com/ibf/index.php%3Fshowtopic%3D8213%26mode%3Dthrea ded+marathon+cruisers&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=100&g l=us

Christopher Grunder
shomp67
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 23 January 2009 at 3:41pm | IP Logged

rduhon

I was thinking more of for the berth area where it is a bit harder to clean carpets and such and they tend to keep moisture for awhile.  My thinking would be that the mat would allow the water and such to drain without retaining moisture and wouldn't get hot due to being in the shade of the berth.  I agree with you that out in the sun on the rear deck it would get exceptionally hot, even there though i would always recommend wearing deck shoes.

Tracy

rduhon
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 23 January 2009 at 4:13pm | IP Logged

Ah, ok. I was thinking about the outside.
I bought some blue rubber garage floor liner from Sams.
It looked great in the cockpit, but it burned the feets.
We rarely keep shoes on when on the boat.

The stuff you showed was soft, but was very hot to the feet.
Sams also has colored sections like what you showed.
I never been in Tractors Supply. The closest one is about 50 mi. away.

whmmer
BoatUS Member
BoatUS Member
Posted: 23 January 2009 at 4:25pm | IP Logged
Tracy,

I used the deck matting. It's fairly comfortable to walk on, doesn't hold the heat and doesn't need cleaned all that often.

http://www.softnsafefloors.com/decktile.html

You can see it laid down in the pics of my boat on page 4.

Jim
Member # 4 Liquid Asset

shomp67
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 23 January 2009 at 4:26pm | IP Logged

I was thinking of putting the marine carpet (it has a layer of foam on the bottom) on the rear deck area. A lighter color such as blue so as not to get hot. I just didn't want to put some in the berth area and the extra moisture causing mold & algae growth. On the rear deck, it would have the sun and air flow drying it out.

I hadn't thought about Sam's, haven't been there in a while. I'll have to check out what they have got. It might be cheaper also.

Tracy

Norm_Richards
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 23 January 2009 at 4:59pm | IP Logged

Just had a nap and getting ready for nite shift... 3 more nites to go then I flip to daylight!! 12' days are are a little easier on the "bod" than 12' nites!.

Anyways, quickly before I go have somethin' to eat and head out the door to work..  

Christopher.. (*note your new title..lol.. * Assistant Director Public Relations)..

I tried your link.. It is a cached link.. archived and stored (not current)..

Might try to go on to the active site www.coastaloutdoors.com and do a track and see is he still exists there or if he has an email addy. I'll give it a go later from work perhaps?

And could also try a google search of savannah dan and see what it brings.. I did one quick and found a savannah dan on

http://www.camaroz28.com/forums/memberlist.php?&pp=30&am p;am p;order=asc&sort=username&ltr=S&page=13   and looks like he was born in 1957.. but didn't have time to register to see his entire profile or see if there is any contact info.. and is this the same guy? Would have to post or email him and ask him.

Anyways.. Gots to have something to eat and head to work.. 

I'll check on to the forum from work later on tonight *if it is good nite with the train stuff.. and/or check in the middle of the nite!!.. while all you guys are sleeping comfy in the land of zzzz. 

Have a good evening

Edited by Norm_Richards on 23 January 2009 at 5:23pm
Norm Richards
shomp67
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 24 January 2009 at 12:02pm | IP Logged

If anyone who has the ORIGO 4000 alcohol stove and would like the instruction manual for it, i just found mine while cleaning out the boat.  I can scan them and email them or post them on photobucket.

Tracy

Bob David
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 24 January 2009 at 12:25pm | IP Logged
I need one. Email addy is in my profile. Send as a .pdf file so I can print it off.

Bob
Political Correctness is an idea fostered by a delusional,illogical liberal minority,promoted by an insane media,which supports the proposition that it is possible to pick up poop by the clean end.
griffo
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 25 January 2009 at 8:04am | IP Logged
Morning Marathoners!

Just came back from the boat, we had serious gales here all day yesterday, caused a lot of damage right across the region. Walls blown over, bushfires causing 13000 to be evacuated and no electricity for 36 hrs. I got away free, no damage and the boat is fine.

Got some pictures of the new dash in place.

THEN - fitted my 'proper' boat steering wheel

You Know You're Getting Old When...
Your arms are almost too short to read the newspaper.
Bill Griffiths
El Presidente

griffo
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 25 January 2009 at 8:43am | IP Logged
Just clarified what happened here yesterday with the shipping forecasts. The wind speed was 14 mph higher than a hurricane!
Bill Griffiths
El Presidente

shomp67
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 25 January 2009 at 9:32am | IP Logged

Looking good El Presidente,

what diameter of  "proper boat wheel " do you have?

Do you have blueprints for the dash?

Mind sharing them?

Tracy

Norm_Richards
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 25 January 2009 at 6:10pm | IP Logged

Great pics Bill.

Dash looks great, good job Bill..  and your new destroyer stainless steering wheel......now that's ship's wheel!! (My current wheel is the same as your old one!!)

The nice destroyer wheel.. Diameter? And Model# and where you might have purchased it? lol.. causethat's the new wheel that my Marathon is going to get!!

Norm Richards
Bob David
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 25 January 2009 at 6:22pm | IP Logged
Same wheel I have, Bill. Still gets hot. The Carver has one on the flying bridge. I've left skin after grabbing it a couple of times. The main reason I have a can of cold refreshment with me up there. Unless it's early in the morn and a cup of coffee is in tow. Even in July, the mornings can bring a chill.

Bob
deaddog
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 26 January 2009 at 7:37am | IP Logged

Dash looks great and the wheel is a nice touch. One question: does the dash hamper vision being set up so high?

Christopher Grunder
Bob David
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 26 January 2009 at 7:45am | IP Logged
I think Bill pilots the boat standing, Chris. His hemorrhoids bother him so bad that he can't sit.

No, seriously I DO believe he is one of those "stand-up" guys. His pics show him standing behind the wheel. One of the reasons he wanted the larger wheel, I believe. Personally, I am a "leaner". I tuck one leg up under me on the seat.

I'm trying to figure out how I can see through the bottom of those amber bottles and aluminum cans.

Bob
deaddog
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 26 January 2009 at 7:57am | IP Logged

Marathoners,

Although, this is not boat related, I thought I would share what I did on Saturday. My other passion, the first being the Marathon, is old motorcycles. This one is a 1961 Honda 305 Superhawk. That was the first year Honda made the Superhawk and it is serial number xxxxx51. Enjoy…………………… 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GALDxlOcoqU

Christopher Grunder
Bob David
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 26 January 2009 at 8:09am | IP Logged
SSWWWWWEEEEEEEEETT!

Had a buddy in high school that had a 1966 Super Hawk, dark blue with the ugliest red seat. I had a 1970 Cb350ss. In fact, about 10 of guys in high school had bikes. All Hondas.

Ol' Marlin Brando didn't have a thing on us. lol

Bob
Norm_Richards
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 26 January 2009 at 4:07pm | IP Logged

lol Bob.. I also love to stand when too when playing captain.. Ah, To have your face into the wind and the sun on your brow on the open seas... there's nothing like it.

And now you gots me thinkging about the stainless destroyer wheel... I gets that hot that the fingers might burn? Seriously?

To Sir Grunder... Very nice vids of the bike.. Christopher... First it was the boat, then the clink(s),then the fish & smokin' BBQ.. now the bike... 

Please give your wife a generous thank-you from all of us,  for giving you that dig movie camera for a Christmas gift... You are putting lots of worth into that camera my friend, and we so do appreciate it. So a sincere thank-you to her for her gift to you.

Norm

Norm Richards
Norm_Richards
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 26 January 2009 at 4:09pm | IP Logged

Yes Sir David.. Thanks for the contact email..I have seen your email Bob and will send him one back to steer him and will also put a note on that forum with a link over to this group.

PR Guy

Norm Richards
Bob David
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 26 January 2009 at 6:32pm | IP Logged
Norm, I may be exaggerating about the heat build up on the wheel. Sometimes, As with anything metal having the sun shine on it, it does get noticeably warm.

Yeh, I monitor the other Marathon threads. I believe that is how we found a couple of other members. I even think we may have found you there.

Chris, you have become quite the film star(camera ham( since getting the gift. The only difference between the things played with by men and boys, is the price of the toys.

Bob
Norm_Richards
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 26 January 2009 at 6:37pm | IP Logged

Yup Bob...

and I do still monitor that forum.. that's where I started until I found this forum.. (and switched)..lol.. 

So four new potenial's in the last week.. but we'll see, over time, if any come on here.. I'll send follow-ups via email to the previous sendees next week.. (and our own) as a gentle reminder to come over.

Edited by Norm_Richards on 26 January 2009 at 6:39pm
Norm Richards
shrimper
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 26 January 2009 at 9:15pm | IP Logged

Hi guys! I just purchased a 20'06" 1992  Marathon Boat n am trying to find out how large the fuel tanks are. I originally purchased it to make a small shrimp trawler out of it but after taking a really good look at her I am now thinking fixing it up. She needs some floor work and a new top but she runs good. Anyone know what the cruiseing speed is for it?

Thanks for any help u can give me!

Steve

<< Prev Page of 109 Next >>