Boater's Connection

Subject
Topic: Marathon Boat Owners Group
Norm_Richards
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 30 January 2009 at 6:29pm | IP Logged

Now that my hankie has been well used.. <sniff><sniff>. and my eyes can see again after watering so much after reading the first of page 20... (I had already made a post but removed it because (I just had to respond to Bob's post before anything else was posted).. btw Bob, my admiral also teared when I read her your post.. "so very nice of him to do that", she said.

Anyway, let me continue with my originally scheduled and intended post ...  (and Mikey.. you thought my posts were long.. This is another long post but of important content for us Marathon boat owners- all to read and understand. 

So all of you please read it slow . It requires your full attention understanding.

Ok.. on behalf of Bob... let's get "Mr. SERIOUS" for (another) moment...  

(Man a very heavy day in the seriousness department)!!  Yup, we can be serious once in a while.. twice in on day..(man this is killin me)..lol.. !!.  Even the introduction to this post was long!!!

---------------------------------------------------

Ok - THE FLAG

Flag stuff... I did some investigation with flag companies on the production of our

Marathon Boat Owners Group. .

The best and most cooperative company I found is @ 1'20" from my place.

They gave me the most info and a reasonable price and will not limit our flag colors or amount of graphics, nor will they charge us extra for a more complex design.

They are:

The Original Flag Store

HEAD OFFICE & FACTORY
176 Saunders Road
Barrie, Ontario

L4N 9A4, Canada

Canada Wide
Toll Free: 1-800-375-7271

Tel:(705) 726-9566
Fax:(705) 726-4810 

(Service rep- Natalie Burke)

Ok: first some preliminary info..

* They can reproduce our flag (whatever it is) digitally using my graphics with little distortion and/or minimal loss in of clarity or in the color quality.

* They use polyester fabric to make the flags, which is one of the most durable materials for a flag. (I am told).

* They make a reinforced head/liner with two grommets imbedded to affix the flag to the staff.  

* When they were asked about color fading: I was informed by them that that dark colors do not fade any more than lighter colors.. and by the time they start to fade, the flag will already be worn out and need to replaced. (So light vs dark colors aren't an issue)

* This company is not limited to 2 colors or 4 colors etc.. Re-producing digitally from my graphics, there is no limit on colors or complexity that they can do, because I set it all up in the graphics and there no extra charge to reproduce them onto a flag.  (There is no difference in charge if we used one color or a thousand different colors in our flag.. and same goes with the amount of graphics in our flag.. If we can create it, they can digitally reproduce it.. So it makes no difference to them if plain or complex – or most or less colors and there is no additional charge to produce them.

* Flag life. The company can’t commit to outdoor flag life. All depends on exposure to elements, wind, rain, salt etc. but they figure that an outdoor flag under usual exposure to the elements would last a couple of seasons: tte more volatile the exposer to the elements, the shorter the flag life.. as is the case wth all outdoor flags.

* Printing the flags.. True graphic print of our design on one side, plus a through “bleed” to the opposite side that is also faily clear… (except on the back side, the text is mirrored) . We could go to a double sided/double printed flag with an in between liner layer but the cost is $52.00 and is not recommended for outdoor use.  

* Prices: Purchasing fewer flags than more is always the most costly. Less flags = more cost. (Because of the initial setup involved. The setup is the same whether you are doing one flag or 1000 flags of the same design): the more quantity, the cheaper the unit price.

For single side print with through bleed to the opposite side:

Between 1-15 flags the unit cost is higher.. Again the less flags the higher the unit cost for a lesser amount.  The unit cost start to drop at 15 flags purchased.

Prices below are using a 10 x 15 rectangular shape cut out swallowtail flag. (Bow flag).. with any amount of colors as well as any complexity of graphic designs:

If we get 15-20 flags… it would cost $25.00 per flag + $3.25 tax (13%) = $ 28.25 per flag + shipping

If we get 20-50 flags….it would cost $20.00 per flag + $2.60 tax (13%) = $ 22.60 per flag + shipping

If over 50 flags, price drops down to $17.00 per flag + $2.21 tax (13%)= $ 19.21 per flag  + shipping

Shipping: I got a shipping quote charge from the company to ship ie: @ 20 flags from their factory to my residence. The shipping cost would be @$15.00.. then I would disperse them from here to you in the US, Spain, Caribbean.. etc

Now.. the flag place is located in Barrie which is @1’20’ from my residence so I could either go and pick them up myself or a fellow co-worker of mine, is not too far from Barrie.. I could possibly arrange from him to pick them up for me and give them to me at work.. so we should be able to save that $15.00 shipping charge.. then I would mail them out from my residence via post to you around the world.

Production: I am told that it should only be two of weeks at max to produce the flags.. that is, after they receive the final flag design graphic..

So there you have it.. my investigative work on this end.

I dunno, perhaps we might get a better price in the US? Thoughts?

Any one want to try to find a flag maker that is close to them and see if we can get a better deal with similar quality and a better price?

In the meantime, I’ll start re-working on the flags (starting with making an good Big M graphic for a centre logo), now that my puter is back in business.

(See I can be serious once and a while.. or twice in a while..(and as you know, I can be a bit long winded once and while as well) lol… This one was a bit long to draft.. but you need to know all of this stuff as we go forward in designing and creating our own Marathon Boat Owners Group flag which we can display on our vessels.

Later Gentlemen

Edited by Norm_Richards on 30 January 2009 at 6:31pm
Norm Richards
Marathon Boat Owners Group - Member #7
1989 Marathon Bermuda Sport 2550 "Vintage Haven"
Bob David
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 30 January 2009 at 6:31pm | IP Logged
Prices sound good. Is the lettering a silk screen process? And what has been decided by the members on ensign form? Pennant? Double pennant? Rectangular? Bloomers(decided to stick that in there to see if all were awake)?

I prefer the "swallow-tail"/notched pennant design(looks closer to bloomers, lol). Color I think should be light with dark blue lettering. The light color to refer to our carefree nature and the blue water symbolic of the color of the water. Just my $.02.

Lettering should include the Marathon logo(the big "M" with the torch), MBOG  est. 2008 below the logo. The flags of each country could be vertical near the grommets. Too much ya think?

Bob
Edited by Bob David on 30 January 2009 at 6:54pm
Political Correctness is an idea fostered by a delusional,illogical liberal minority,promoted by an insane media,which supports the proposition that it is possible to pick up poop by the clean end.
shomp67
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 30 January 2009 at 7:57pm | IP Logged

Good $.02 Bob

I concur

Tracy

hee hee, short post!!!

MBOG Member Lucky #13 - ATICA
Tinkering - Keeps the mind humming and the soul tuned up.
Norm_Richards
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 30 January 2009 at 8:44pm | IP Logged

Bob David wrote:
Prices sound good. Is the lettering a silk screen process? And what has been decided by the members on ensign form? Pennant? Double pennant? Rectangular? Bloomers(decided to stick that in there to see if all were awake)?

I prefer the "swallow-tail"/notched pennant design(looks closer to bloomers, lol). Color I think should be light with dark blue lettering. The light color to refer to our carefree nature and the blue water symbolic of the color of the water. Just my $.02.

Lettering should include the Marathon logo(the big "M" with the torch), MBOG  est. 2008 below the logo. The flags of each country could be vertical near the grommets. Too much ya think?

Bob

Hmmm.. silk screened process? Hmmm, I'm not sure Bob.. But I'll call them and find out.. 

Dimensions and type, I so far have interpreted it is a 10x15" rectangle shaped with swallowtail cut out.. bow flag..like my last one which was posted alone.

Yup, now that my puter is alive and well.. (and I already have started), my first project is underway using the graphics of the big M from your pics as examples) and am drafting a largescale "straight" Big M version with the torch in the middle and then gold/yellow flame on top that can be used as a centre graphic logo for the flag.. (about 1/2 way done or so)..

When that Big M graphic is done.. (And I'll post it when it's done), then.. (after approval of the Big M logo.), we can start to arrange this Big M logo with other items. different surrounding graphics, country flags, globes and I'll set up another set of varied background colors: One in deaddogs requested version, one in Jims', one in yours.. and do it as many times as necessary til we like it..(Hmmm, good thing that we are starting in the winter.. maybe by our boating season it might be done!!..(lol).  

So far, out of many like 28 or so posted flag drafts, I did one in the swallowtail cut out flag in the dark blue gradient backround.. with the gold ring, with a globe nested on top, marathon name plate, with a clink star.. (even slid in a text of Bloomer on the bottom edge of the logo ring..(but you might have missed it)... plus the country flags spaced horizontal along the bottom(for balance). Looks not bad if I say so myself..(lol).    

Now, Christopher wants to try one with the black/gold backround with the BigM logo.. and

Jim (whmmer) wants to try a version with the black/blue with red streaks as a backround - with the Big M logo..

And Bob..  I do another version with light (white or off white or a pale yellow ior something with the dark blue BigM logo (and gold/yellow flames on top of the torch..plus blue text for the mbog and est2008.. and our 3 flags verticle along the grommet side.. with or without a globe..

After the bigM is done, and start doing the layering, I can sub everything in and out as we build the flag : whether it be substituting different backgrounds or the text or the country flags etc.. or positions of everything until we get it the way we want..

Once I get the BigM done.. (A perpendicular version) not slanted, I'll post it.. and when we finalize it here.. by all's concensus or another required draft of it.. I'll start assembling and laying the graphics with various other graphics and texts.. Re-add the country flags, etc plus the mobg text and est.2008 texts.. then underneath all of, I will layer in different types of backgrounds and/or various colors as has been requested.. and we can go from there. 

And just think, through all of this flag stuff, I'll be a (almost) graphics guy too !!. (Just maybe) 

Edited by Norm_Richards on 30 January 2009 at 8:45pm
Norm Richards
mikey4241
BoatUS Member
BoatUS Member
Posted: 31 January 2009 at 12:06am | IP Logged
Norm--
Hold the flags for a few minutes--You were on the right path with your last post on pg.19, but didn't finish the thought process. Bill has found an amazing opportunity for you guys. Rather than one of you trying to become a multi-Marathoner, POOL YOUR RESOURCES!!. Half-a-dozen of you get together and buy the thing. I'm not sure exactly what you'd do with it, but if push came to shove you'd have a great source of parts for the next few years. I know it would be a terrible shame to cannibalize such a good looking boat, but wouldn't that be better than having it sit unappreciated & rotting in the back of some guy's barn in Mass.?

This is just one guy's opinion, but I thought it was worth bringing to the attention of the group as there are only a few hours left for bidding.
==Safe Boating==
==Mikey4241==
=='99 SeaRay 290 Sundancer==
==Remember the "343"==
mikey4241
BoatUS Member
BoatUS Member
Posted: 31 January 2009 at 12:10am | IP Logged
Bob--
Cool train pics.
Thanks for the stories, too. L--M--A--O !!!!!
How's your hand?
Edited by mikey4241 on 31 January 2009 at 12:11am
==Safe Boating==
==Mikey4241==
==Remember the "343"==
Bob David
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 31 January 2009 at 12:46am | IP Logged
mikey4241 wrote:
Bob--
Cool train pics.
Thanks for the stories, too. L--M--A--O !!!!!
How's your hand?

Mike,

Are we talking about buying the boat on ebay or....?

Norm is responsible for the train pics. My trains are not quite that big.

The hand....um, uh, erm , ah......it's fine. I don't think that story is as good as the taser one. The taser story is classic in all regards. Both show the difficulty of being a man in today's world.

Now, fellas, you really don't think..... Don't answer that.

Bob
Political Correctness is an idea fostered by a delusional,illogical liberal minority,promoted by an insane media,which supports the proposition that it is possible to pick up poop by the clean end.
Norm_Richards
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 31 January 2009 at 9:35am | IP Logged

Yup Mikey.. I am the big scale train guy.. (But I do have a lot of HO Scale too- probally not nearly as much as BoB)... But I do the playing with the big trains and have for the last 31 yrs.. lol.. I have lots of pics and have uploaded lots already on webshots... 

Norm Richards
Norm_Richards
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 31 January 2009 at 9:36am | IP Logged

Ok Gents.. The Big M

I want to work on the torch flames a bit more… maybe outline it darker or inset an actual flame graphic inside it if I can, when I start layering all the stuff…but this the Big M – a vertical and straight format as it would stand in the centre as the logo on our flag..

My pref is the BigM with the torch flame leaning left or right.. (blown away from the wind as it would sit on the flag..(All depends which way we print it on the flag).. but you get the idea..  Also the flame running toward the right or toward the left better matches the actual flame as per Bob’s orig pics off the side of his boat..

Below is the BIG M graphics – the first two off Bob’s boat.. then the logo graphic with torch flames flowing left, right, and one in the centre..  

Now I imbedded the code to view at 600 pixels.. but for a closer look.. click on them and view them in webshots at full size.. their sitting on a plain white 10x15 size wallpaper.. It might give you a better idea and scale of a flag...

Pic of the BigM off Bob’s Boat – Port Side

Pic of the BigM off Bob’s Boat – Starboard side

Big M – Torch to the Left

Big M – Torch to the Right

Big M – Torch Centre

So that is the 1st cut of the BigM.. I will work on the flame a bit.. but, I think the rest looks good and will do well as a genuine logo.. as it was the early logo applied to early Marathon boats.

Thoughts?, opinions.?.. before I start drafting and layering using this Big M as a logo? Do you want the torch blowing left or right or upright centre?

Norm

Edited by Norm_Richards on 31 January 2009 at 9:40am
Norm Richards
Bob David
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 31 January 2009 at 10:08am | IP Logged
Norm, can you give the "M" a 15 degree list to starboard(when presented it would point aft)? Torch right looks good. It would then have the "directional wind-blown" look.

Bob
Norm_Richards
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 31 January 2009 at 10:11am | IP Logged
hmmm.. I'll try Bob.. but that one will be very difficult task if I can even do it.. but I'll give it a try.. 
Norm Richards
Norm_Richards
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 31 January 2009 at 10:46am | IP Logged

Happy Birthday "Offshore25"..

MBOG Member #3.

Otherwise known as Eric Werner.

Happy, January 30, (1975) Birthday.

(Where ever you are).

(Just so every one might know... Eric is a Navy Jet Engine Mechanic.. (for the Navy).. so he could be stationed anywhere)..

And we need your email Id Eric.. so we can be in contact where ever you ,ight have access to a "puter".

God's speed and care over you and may His arm be like a wing over you to protect you Eric, where ever you may be.

From all your friends in the Marathon Boat Owners Group forum.

Edited by Norm_Richards on 31 January 2009 at 10:53am
Norm Richards
Bob David
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 31 January 2009 at 10:50am | IP Logged
Man, the past month, or so, has been a busy one for birthdays.

Happy birthday, Eric. You've been AWOL long enough.

Bob 
Norm_Richards
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 31 January 2009 at 10:54am | IP Logged

To Mr. Barr...

Great pics of your boat Darryl.. It is in fantastic shape..

Ok workin on the spreadsheets.. and Sir Barr.. need the following info.. if you might be so kind..

1) Your occupation.. (Just generically will do.. like Ie welder, machinist, bank robber, carpenter, president.. lol.. you get the idea..

2) What city and state you live in.. IE: Cheboygan Michigan or Boise, Idaho. (I am assuming your in the US).

3) DOB..dd-mm-yy.. (Yes we do the happy birthday thingy.. when we remember to) and we do razz about vintage.. once and a while..lol...

4) Email ID.. (So we can contact you.. and send you stuff..(like interesting stuff... fasinating stuff.. and MBOG stuff..like the full spreadsheet.. etc.. which is too big or complex to place on the MBOG forum.

5) If I missed it.. if you have a vessel name for your Marathon..

6) Any http:// picture links.. to your boat pictures album.

(oh yes, Your boat I have is 1987 Bermuda Express 2550 but confirm your eng/outdrive model.. thinking it is 5.0L, 8-Cyl, 225HP, 305CID, OMC, with OMC cobra Outdrive.. Correct?

I include a portion of the above on the forum version, (a 1liner/reduced width) spreadsheet for the forum post.. but I include all the info on the full spreadsheet version (Three lines per member and wider to include all the fields/columns) which I send out as an attachment via email..  

So working on the spreadsheet info.. if you might be so kind and I'll update your stuff... member #15.

Executive Director Public Relations & Administration (lol)

Norm

Norm Richards
mrbarr2000
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 31 January 2009 at 1:52pm | IP Logged

Hello All

Norm I am a General Contractor, I live in Washington DC. I keep my boat at the stables in Clinton MD. where I board my horse , my D.O.B is 9/11/61  I have not named my boat yet maybe u guys can help me with that . My email address is mrbarr1barr@aol.com  my home town is Marion SC. which is about 38 miles from Myrtle beach, I have a daughter and a  grandson . I was an HVAC Engineer for about 18 years before I started working for myself in 1998 the link to my photo's is http://community.webshots.com/user/mrbarr2000 

Guys

I can't put into words how great I am feeling to be a part of a group of gentlemen such as yourselves , I am somewhat speechless , again I thank you all .

Sir Bob

In reading your jesture with the trains really warmed my heart .I just don't know what else I can say other than Thanks.

THANKS  TO YOU ALL

pop-pop
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 31 January 2009 at 3:09pm | IP Logged
Norm check your e-mail.
         78" 251 Catalina       
Norm_Richards
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 31 January 2009 at 4:18pm | IP Logged

Checked my email Phil... wow.. how quick you are..pop pop.

Ok everyone here is the story...

After Bob’s and my exchange of posts early this am concerning the BigM and slanting it. I had not tried to skew it.. and plain forgot about the easy skew tool in Microsoft paint..but had no time to play with it. .. 

I had to go out as my wife and I and family were throwing a 79th birthday party for my mother at her nursing home, so never had a chance to play with the straight BigM.

While we were out for almost 5 or so hours, Sir POP POP, (Phil B), using his ingenuity in the paint program.. twisted and/or skewed the straight vertical Big M as Sir Bob had asked.. Phil skewed it 15 degrees starboard for us and sent me a pic of it.

We just got home about 15:40 ET.  I checked my email.. and there it was. An email from Phil. Phil (Pop Pop) had sent me an email and attached, was a 373x399 pixel picture file (.jpg)  of the skewed Big M... Thank-you Phil for your efforts and for twisting the BigM for us.

Following Phil’s email.. which jogged my brain, I called up paint and in two clicks of the mouse in the skew menu, skewed the original full sized graphic 15degrees to the right: twisting the original sized pics (1500 x 1000 pixel) so that we won’t lose too much graphic pixel quality when it is printed.

I did three other variations of flipping/inverting the torch portion then made two more flipping inverting the entire graphic (slanted left at 15 degrees port and torch flame to the right, and another one with the torch flame to the left..

(I think that the starboard slant 15 degrees to starboard with the torch flame running port direction, (which seems to balance or offset the starboard slanted graphic), is the best slanted graphic. Again when looking at the mirror image.. slant to port, the torch facing starboard, in my opinion, again offsets the port slant.. and balances the graphic.. (And again a sincere thanks to Phil for his efforts and help.. btw, your getting close to Honorary member #3 Phil).

Here are the 600 pixel views of the “slanted BigM’s. (For full size click the pic and view full size in webshots)  

• 15 d starboard slant – torch flame flowing to port side of the graphic

• 15 d starboard slant – torch flame flowing to starboard side of the graphic

• 15 d port slant – torch flame flowing to starboard side of the graphic

• 15 d port slant – torch flame flowing to port side of the graphic

Do you want to try skewing in 10 or 20 or 25 or a 30 degree? I only takes a few secs to do.. (Posting the pic takes longer..lol). Do you want me to skew one with the centered torch skewed?

So thoughts? Opinions, all? Straight graphic or on a 15d slant to starboard or do you want to try another degree slant.  Torch flame direction?  

(in the mean time, I'll start importing a few new backgrounds.

Norm

Ps:Thanks for your info Darryl.. updating you portion.. *Hmmm, I might even get an re-issue out today..lol..

Edited by Norm_Richards on 31 January 2009 at 5:23pm
Norm Richards
Bob David
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 31 January 2009 at 4:28pm | IP Logged
By joves, Cheeves, I think you have it!!!

Pics #1(port) and #3(starboard) would look like the ensign if it were a "thru and thru" print.

Fine job, Norm.

Bob
Norm_Richards
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 31 January 2009 at 5:01pm | IP Logged

Yup, I think we're getting there Bob.. (And even Pop-Pop Phil, lent a hand in this). I will still try to work on the flame more.. I want to outline it better.. we'll see..

Is the color of the flame too yellow.. or should I make it more yellow-orange instead of a the bright yellow?

(I know you are getting more vintage Bob, but can you still remember...(lol).. what the original flame color looked like on your boat graphics?.. Was it bright yellow, or a gold, or a yellow-orange or?

(Sorry bout the vintage Bob.. Your brain is still as sharp as a tack.. )

(Allbeit it might be a dull tack.. but still it is a tack)..lol.. (just had to throw it in when I had the chance), cause we have been way too sentimental the last two dayz.. (So I'm just breaking up those Mr. Serious moments up a bit!)..lol.

Edited by Norm_Richards on 31 January 2009 at 5:39pm
Norm Richards
Norm_Richards
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 31 January 2009 at 5:13pm | IP Logged
mrbarr2000 wrote:

Guys

I can't put into words how great I am feeling to be a part of a group of gentlemen such as yourselves , I am somewhat speechless , again I thank you all .

Sir Bob

In reading your jesture with the trains really warmed my heart .I just don't know what else I can say other than Thanks.

THANKS TO YOU ALL

Choke, choke.. yup Darryl the odd time they can catch you off guard and be.... so very thoughtful... It's almost an emotional experience and as you put it Sir Barr, it can be a "heartwarming" experience.. (Especially needed for the guys in that are in the more northern areas.. as we need warmth more in the winter due to the snow and more extreme temps..lol..)  

(But at other times... lol... look out!!  It can get very razzing in here.. . It can be a cold cold place..lol.. Well not really.. but at those times, it is still all in fun).

Yup, a lot of us.. are getting kinda tight and already you're even feelin the love (lol).. of the group and the cameraderie of us guys..lol..!! 

All of it brought together and joined by a certain type of boat..Not bad eh?... And even other boaters coming here cause they either have a boat and might even like boating and/or... they might even like the company here in our Marathon Boat Owners Group Forum !!

So glad that your feeling welcome and warm in the group.. (Actually it's -10 and snowing here (another 5 inches or so expected tonight).. but I am still feelin a "warm & fuzzy" in here..lol..

Edited by Norm_Richards on 31 January 2009 at 5:29pm
Norm Richards
griffo
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 31 January 2009 at 5:55pm | IP Logged
OMG
what is all this sentimental crap lurking on our forum?
What with Bob making us all lumpy throat, bleary eyes over his goddam train-set and Darryl crying in his cup of coffee because he has been so warmly welcomed into this madhouse full of loonies with nothing better to do than throw their money at obsolete boats. What next? What is the world coming to? I thought you guys over there were tough - you need to be to cope with the weather you get.

OK enough of the 'digs'. Norm, you are doing a wonderful job on the flag old buddie and many thanks to Phil for his assistance.

The wind has picked up here again tonight, blowing 30mph at the moment and increasing. The winds we had here last weekend were the worst in Spanish living memory, the insurance companies are devastated. My boat broke loose one of it's mooring ropes and the bow was crashing into the pontoon when I got to her. Hasn't cracked the fibreglass but has put a nasty dent in it - another job to do!
Bob, after reading your latest escapade, I really think you should go back to hand tools, your ageing brain obviously can't cope with modern day power tools BTW the admiral was in bits reading your taser story.

You Know You're Getting Old When...
You nailgun your hand to the bench.
Bill Griffiths
El Presidente
Marathon Boat Owners Group Member #2

Bob David
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 31 January 2009 at 6:03pm | IP Logged
All,

While our group is somewhat unique on these boards(the Chris Craft  board being another), we share on common bond, and it's not about boats. It's the love of life, the outdoors and the bonding with those that share our interests.

We have experiences and knowledge to share. Commonalities all. Our banter, and I guess wit, is mischievous, but we can be serious.

I for one, am glad gentleman likePhil(pop-pop), Ray(rduhon), Mike(Mikey4241), Ron(rwidman), and all of the others, who not only visit us here, but actually helped us get this board started. I am glad they still deem us worthy of their company. Honorary staus in our group hardly seems enough at times.

I wish to express my deepest thank you to all who have been associated with our group. Both the members and our friends have truly made this all fun for me.

Now, if I can just get the boat done, get 'er wet and make some noise!!!!

bob

Edited by Bob David on 31 January 2009 at 8:21pm
griffo
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 31 January 2009 at 6:49pm | IP Logged
I'm getting the impression that there are a lot more Marathons out there than we think.

Found another three today.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1988-marathon-22-on-tandem-tr ailer-1500-00-b-i-n_W0QQitemZ250365350916QQcmdZViewItemQQptZ Other_Boats?hash=item250365350916&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245& amp;_trkparms=72%3A317|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/22ft-walk-around-cuddy-NO-RES ERVE_W0QQitemZ290291887982QQcmdZViewItemQQptZFishing_Boats?h ash=item290291887982&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms =72%3A317|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1988-MARATHON-24-LARGE-OPEN-G REAT-BOAT_W0QQitemZ220352652915QQcmdZViewItemQQptZPowersport _Everything_Else?hash=item220352652915&_trksid=p4506.c0. m245&_trkparms=72%3A317|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318
Bill Griffiths
El Presidente

pop-pop
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 31 January 2009 at 6:55pm | IP Logged
Hey guys, I don't mine lending a hand, It's cold down here in pa. too. We will have a heat wave (39 degrees)coming thru sunday.
Bob I am into trains also. I started with HO'S then after 3 kids I ran out of room. The master chief thinks the kids should have thier own bedrooms. I'll scan some photos of some platforms I made up out of foam in and post a link.
         78" 251 Catalina       
Norm_Richards
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 31 January 2009 at 7:30pm | IP Logged

lol.. Bill... what digs?..tacks Sir? Or their lack of sharpness? lol..

We sharpen tacks in this forum.. that's how tough we are!!..lol.

So when your tack is getting a bit duller, we'll sharpen for you and get it right back to the point when it was in it's peak!! We call it..lol.. "Grooming your tack". Or keeping it "Griffo sharp".. (or something like that)..(LMAO). 

And yes, "Mr. Serious" almost put a lump or two in our throats.. as well as did the immediate response trying to draft it.. and as well as Mr Barr's. Yup, we are almost human in the western hemisphere.. lol

But do you know what it feels like to have a "heavy" stuck in your throat?. You would have a lump in your throat too?  at least for that moment.."A kodak moment" (At least untill you get the heavy out!! lol)

And 30MPH winds Bill? Sorry to hear about the dent in her.. At least the fiberglass didn't crack.

30mph, hmmm. thinking.. 30mph winds ... That is like a nice gentle summer breeze for us on the western side of the world.. talking about being tough...lol..(ok, ok, I know.. enough of the razzing from................. this younger guy.. lol .. (sorry Sir Griffo, I never usually talk to my elders like that..um I am sorry Sir...(ok, that was the last one... promise)...(And I say to myself in a quiet whisper..."At least for this post")..

(I think that I have done enough... (harr-rassin'), in this post, so I'll procedd to some at hand items that I bring to the table. 

To Sir Bob and Sir Bill, Sir Eric, Sir Jim.. (The top four)

(To you "senior" members of this forum.(sorry, I mean that in a good way, (it is not a vintage crack!)lol). I have already aluded to but now make formal application putting forth the official motion for Phil "Pop-Pop" Bristow to be inducted into honorary membership on our Marathon Boat Owners Group as Honary Member H-3.

Is there a Seconder?

Any Discussion?

Carry the motion?

A raise of hands in agreement and acceptance?

Ok.. Next Item: Potential Member #16.

Posted: January 31 2009 at 16:32 on BOATUS. 

"Quote: Viking Vern

Greetings, Boaters. Hopefully I'm ending up on the Marathon boat owners group. At least that is the intention.

I'm a novice Marathon owner and have a 1987 21-foot cubby that I bought last fall. Got to use it a couple of tijmes before Pennsylvania winter set in. Looking forward to getting back on the water in the spring. Will have lots of questions in the future probably and will need your collective advice I'm sure. If I'm in the wrong forum here, let me know so I can sign out of this group and get into the right one. In the meantime, happy sailing to all.

Vern "

(Boatus) Marathon Boat Group.

------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------

My response:

Posted: January 31 2009 at 18:34

Hello Vern:

Congratulations of being a Marathon Boat Owner.. Yup, you're kinda in a smaller place.. than you want to be... The bigger group is in the my.boat.us.

There you'll find the "Marathon Boat Owners Group" forum which has 15 members plus.. There is lots of info that we have and we share..lol.. Lots of info on Marathons plus repairing of, maintenance of, upgrades, modifications, specs, the stoves, fridges, you name it.. we either have experience with it and can be of help. Pictures/email contacts, lots of posts, links to manuals etc, and right now we're in process of making our own group bow flag for our "Marathon Boat Owners Group" .. so come on over.... 

We'll be expecting you Vern...  just hit the link below and it will take you to our group forum.. to page 20!  Yup, already 20 pages full of stuff.. and lots of banter and wit and dry humor at times.. to make it a fun place to be as well as informative and helpful when it comes to Marathons as well as many other things. 

So here is the link to our current place on page 20.. So welcome to our world of Marathons.. We'll be expecting you.. (You would be Marathon Boat owner #16 in our group)..

http://my.boatus.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=62706&PN= 1&TPN=20

------------------------------------------------------------ -

So PR still work is ongoing as well as spreadsheet updates in progress as well as BigM creations on the way to a final flag design for our Marathon group. It is a busy world in our forum.. And for me, there is no place I'd rather be.. than being stuck with all of you guys in this tiny room!!  lol.

Later gentlemen

Your Executive Director of Public Relations & Administration.. (and slightly younger but perhaps not so smart! guy!! Ok, I'd better shut up now..)..lol.  

Norm

Norm Richards
deaddog
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 31 January 2009 at 7:45pm | IP Logged

This post is more like a drunk dial to a good friend, won’t remember writing it, but can always go back and read it.

First, MBOG has become a very good thing in my life and I find myself thinking of this group daily. But, WTF, I have to read a novel every time I log on ….LOL…..love it!!!

To the point, as PR in training, I highly recommend that Honorary members join to get a low membership number. I know we have officially H1 and H2 possible H3. Join now the price is free.

On another note, I love the progress of the flag and I would hope that Honorary Members would like to fly the MBOG colors too. Consider ensign for Honoraries in boarder plans. Finally, after seeing estimated prices minus shipping, I Christopher Grunder pledge $100.00 cashers’ check to rewarded flagman.        

Edited by deaddog on 31 January 2009 at 7:54pm
Christopher Grunder
Marathon Boat Owners Group Member #10
“Beer is living proof that God loves us”
Bob David
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 31 January 2009 at 8:17pm | IP Logged
Norm_Richards wrote:

Yup, I think we're getting there Bob.. (And even Pop-Pop Phil, lent a hand in this). I will still try to work on the flame more.. I want to outline it better.. we'll see..

Is the color of the flame too yellow.. or should I make it more yellow-orange instead of a the bright yellow?

(I know you are getting more vintage Bob, but can you still remember...(lol).. what the original flame color looked like on your boat graphics?.. Was it bright yellow, or a gold, or a yellow-orange or?

(Sorry bout the vintage Bob.. Your brain is still as sharp as a tack.. )

(Allbeit it might be a dull tack.. but still it is a tack)..lol.. (just had to throw it in when I had the chance), cause we have been way too sentimental the last two dayz.. (So I'm just breaking up those Mr. Serious moments up a bit!)..lol.

Norm, the gold color was gold, like the nugget. Not yellow as in the gold of mustard.

Bob
pop-pop
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 31 January 2009 at 8:34pm | IP Logged
Bob train photos link
The top photo are HO's   With the kids I went down to N gauge   bottom 3 N

http://mysite.verizon.net/vzexanwd/generalphotoalbum/id2.htm l
         78" 251 Catalina       
mrbarr2000
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 31 January 2009 at 8:39pm | IP Logged

Norm

I forgot to confirm Eng/outdrve you were right with what you said.

I wanted to ask what do you think the cruising speed is for my boat  , and how much gas did you burn putting 300 miles on your's  and at what speed?

Sir Griffo

Your post had me in stitches (LMAO )

Also would love to see pics of some of you alls boats.

Edited by mrbarr2000 on 31 January 2009 at 8:42pm
Norm_Richards
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 31 January 2009 at 8:43pm | IP Logged

Sorry bout doin the novel thingy Christopher.. Btw, re-read this tomorrow cause you might not member writing or reading it tonight. Lol. j/k.. (But if nothing else, I'll remind you later about your cashiers cheque) donation..lol.

And yup, I am the same as you, Sir Grunder. I also find myself thinking of this group on a daily basis.. getting info from the members, seeing new members join and enjoy the forum, seeing all the banter and wits, the chatter and ideas forming on the flag.. as we design it..  I find myself even popping in when I have a chance at work just to read, review and then throw out a post or two..

Like I referred in an earlier post, it's getting to be a busy place in this world of ours.. with various activities..new members, old member popping back in, honoraries giving their two cents worth of info and help.. Hmmm, I might even be getting a bit fond of this forum..guys!!. Yup, it's getting to be a "happenin place".. so to speak.. lol..  

And very educational from the english professor's view.. Writing enhancement of the English langauge in every post. 

When I started on Aug 29, 2008 I was rated with a "D". And after a few short months later, (my last post Jan 31, 2009),  I got a C+. (A very strict and tough teacher!!).. So you guys, in this forum writing process, are even upgrading my writing skills.. (Says my daughter, a teacher in the Durham Board of Education)...

But I am advised by the "Admiral" that my smurking with a strange grin on my face, or a quiet chuckle or my outrageous laughing out loud tendencies haven't improved a bit and are getting worse since I have been on this forum!! (Cause you guys are such bad influence on me)!!!

Later Sirs.

Norm

Norm Richards
shrimper
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 31 January 2009 at 9:45pm | IP Logged

Hi Guys! I see the group has been busy and growing to 16 members(maybe).

The office has been packed for the last few days and today was a nightmare!

Planing on going over to the boat tommorrow taking a good look at her to see what all needs fixin' and take a few pics. I will try to post a them soon. Cant wait to start work on her!

Norm I will bring some homemade wine when I come up if I can figure a way to get it through customs! (Thats all I need to be arrested for bootleggin)

Steve

Bob David
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 31 January 2009 at 10:08pm | IP Logged
Fellas,

I have been bantering a bit on another board on BoatUS. I have come up with an idea to start another business.

As we all know cleaning and waxing of our boats is a laborious and tedious task. I have come up with the idea of starting a boat cleaning service.

I have thought about it quite intensely. In this day and age one needs to be unique in business. Offering good service and good rates sometimes isn't enough. So, I have come up with an idea that will make my business unique and the first place that will come to the mind of any consumer. "Bob's Bevy of Beautiful Big  Bbed Babes in Bikinis Boat Bath"
The motto will be " Service with a view just for you."

What'cha think?

By the way Phil, nice pics. I have often thought about scaling down to N scale, but I have WAY TOO MANY HO scale engines and rolling stock. We also have a couple of G scale trains running around, under and through the Admiral's flower beds. Those things ARE expensive. Also have an S scale layout for her Christmas village.

ADD:Maybe I could just franchise the "boat bath" idea and just sit back and count the money.

Bob
Edited by Bob David on 31 January 2009 at 10:20pm
Norm_Richards
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 31 January 2009 at 10:23pm | IP Logged

lol.Steve.. bootleg wine..lol.. I'm in if you can get it here... How bout getting our Navy member #3 Eric, to smuggle it in the engine compartment of the jet he just fixed..lol.. He could drop it off at Canadian Forces Base Trenton and I'llgo pickup it up..lol... or try to tuck it in under your sock and up the pant leg.. you could bring at least 2 bottles..lol..

Lol Bob.. :) Service with a view.. just for you.. Oh, Bob, are you hiring any managers or assistant managers?  lol.. (I counted 9 words that start with "B" in that long almost x-rated name..lol.).

-------------------------

Lastpart. Ok.. Darryl.. to your post about mileage and gas and speeds.. 

Firstly, your boat engine & outdrive.. is correct..ok.. I will update it on the spreadsheet...

Anyways, the normal relaxed crusing speed for this boat, mince anyway, seems to be between 22-25Mph or so.. I think at 23mph (which is a perfect cruising speed on my boat), my rpm's were @ 3200rpm which seemed to be the optimal cruise speed for that boat with the tabs and out-drive correctly trimmed.   

Info on Top speed... I guess it varies from boat to boat.. depending upon load.. but my boat (2550 Bermuda express) (exact same model as yours Darryl), mine has a 5.7L V8 350cc 260Hp Merc, and alpha one-gen 1 outdrive, with a 15-17 pitch 3 blade AL prop. (not ss).

With just myself and the admiral sitting on the captains bench.. ..with a full 60 gallon gas tank (which is at the extreme stern and port side of the boat), (a poor location by the way..), and I always try to keep it full,: With @ 1/2 full water tank - @15 gallons water. (which sits aft on the starboard side of the boat).. we hit 34 mph.. with the trim tabs properly adjusted and the out-drive trimmed optimally to reduce drag, and a fairly calm day.

These boats aren't exactly meant for speed. I find it is far nicer, (for me anyways), on open water, to just "cruise" between 19-24 mph. And with the trim tabs, you can hold the 25' boat plane at the lower crusing speed.

Gas!!! You don't want to talk about gas.!!. Last summer, the gas prices were brutal here.. but gas consumption also depends on payload.

And I made several of trips with lots of people aboard.. I took several long day trips, (all day trips) with 4 adults on board, and other trips about 10-15 mile day trips with a many as 10 adults on board.. and trying to get going onto plane was a huge drain on the gas tank.. but it was my 1st summer with this boat.. so it was a summer of "spare no expence", so to speak.

Bottom line was almost $1200.00 dollars in fuel for the Marathon. which equated to @ 825 litres or @ 206 gallons used depending on our fuel prices per liter (or x4 for a gallon).

Gas ranged here in Ontario last summer between $1.38 to $1.48 per liter which equates to- between $5.52 to $5.92 per gallon. Very Brutal.

Being a mathematician to figure this all out..lol.. Travelled 300 miles with @ 206 gallons of fuel.. so about a mile and a half  per gallon!! That's brutal gas mileage.. but we sure had some fun cruising in our 1st summer.. and all of us had a great time with the new toy!.   

This summer the fuel used will be lower.. there won't be so many "lotsssa people" trips.. probally more four people trips with friends unless all you guys come up for a visit and a tout onthe vessel. (Steve's bringing the bootleg vino) 

Gas right now is down to 82 cents per liter.. I hope it holds or even lowers for the summer.. my gas cost for the boat would  be just over half that it cost last summer. 

Hope that answers some of your questions about fuel.

Later "Sirs" 

Edited by Norm_Richards on 31 January 2009 at 10:36pm
Norm Richards
Norm_Richards
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 31 January 2009 at 10:52pm | IP Logged

mrbarr2000 wrote:

Norm

I forgot to confirm Eng/outdrve you were right with what you said.

I wanted to ask what do you think the cruising speed is for my boat  , and how much gas did you burn putting 300 miles on your's  and at what speed?

Sir Griffo

Your post had me in stitches (LMAO )

Also would love to see pics of some of you alls boats.

Darryl, I'll be issuing the spreadsheet very soon..

On the full spreadsheet that will be sent out via email, everyone who has a picture link, (well most), all of those embedded links will be on that spreadsheet.. and you should be able to immediately link to their pictures using the links right from the spreadsheet. (or you can also copy the link into your explorer or firefox and <enter>)

(As well, all the email Ids on the spreadsheet will do the same).

Spreadsheet will be updated and re-issued in the next couple of dayz.

Norm

Norm Richards
Bob David
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 31 January 2009 at 11:02pm | IP Logged
Steve,

The best bet for fuel "mileage" would best be helped by two things. First, my Marathon was "dry-docked" all summer, and if I don't get busy, next summer will be dry too.

All of the info I can convey pertains to my "big" boat. A 1990 3207 aft cabin Carver with twin Crusader 500's. If you notice nowhere does it say economy. This boat weighs in at about 13000# dry. I believe Phil(pop-pop) has a boat that is close to my thirsty beast. Anyway.........

Some of the things I did to the Carver would not be done normally to our Marathons. Electronic fuel delivery system was one of he smartest investments I made. Although the system is normally used for race cars, it has performed flawlessly on the Carver. I actually gained economy to the tune of 20%. Second, I disconnect the secondaries on the carburator and changed the primary jets to smaller ones. I did lose performance, but the Carver ain't no race boat. I can still get about 26-28 miles an hour and that's plenty fast.

As for the Marathon, I rebuilt the 3.0 liter/140hp engine completely. I had the block line bored, balanced and blueprinted, ported and relieved. I also installed a cam from the 170hp Mercruiser in lieu of the stock 140hp cam. I didn't have the engine dyno'd but by calculations made, this engine should be in the 210hp range. The engine and head were trued(decked). All rockers and valve springs were bulked up and heavier valve retainers implemented. Don't need to drop a valve while on the water, that would suck.

I also had all ports relieved, ground down to prevent vortices in the fuel/air mix and exhaust. The engine should "breathe" much easier.

I don't expect anyone to follow my lead here. Damn expensive machine work was done.

Another thing that I would suggest is trim tabs. Both of my boats have Bennett trim tabs. They get the boat up on plane quicker. Care must be taken to keep them at the proper position to maintain the best results. Keeping them down increases drag and hurts fuel economy. The bow must cut the water and not plow.

Hope this helps a bit.

Bob

PS: Norm, of course I'll need managers. But you'll need to change your name to B'Norm. lol
Edited by Bob David on 01 February 2009 at 2:17am
mikey4241
BoatUS Member
BoatUS Member
Posted: 01 February 2009 at 2:11am | IP Logged
Bob & Norm==

I stand corrected re: the train pics, but Bob still gets the first place award for story-telling!!
Therefore, "Nice train pics Norm!"

Mike
==Safe Boating==
==Mikey4241==
==Remember the "343"==
Bob David
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 01 February 2009 at 2:14am | IP Logged
I keep seeing a black hole in my last post. Anyone else see it?

Bob
griffo
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 01 February 2009 at 7:24am | IP Logged
(To you "senior" members of this forum.(sorry, I mean that in a good way, (it is not a vintage crack!)lol). I have already aluded to but now make formal application putting forth the official motion for Phil "Pop-Pop" Bristow to be inducted into honorary membership on our Marathon Boat Owners Group as Honary Member H-3.

This motion gets my vote Sir Norm of all things PR

Phil, checked out your photos, nice layout BUT I'm sorry my friend the tree in the first picture is way out of scale.

Bob - can I be customer #1? - I presume you ARE going international with this venture.

Norm, if you are pulling 23mph at 3200, I have some serious investigating to do. By my calculations that equates to 20 knots, mine will only just stay on the plane at 20 knots and she's turning 4000 rpm. No wonder my fuel consumption is so high.

Bob, your idea of keeping the boat permanently in dry dock to improve fuel economy - SUCKS. What's all this about black holes? I thought it was Sir Grunder that was under the influence!

Bob - on a serious note - yes I can do this, can you enlighten us all on the correct use of trim tabs. I understand where you're coming from with increased drag and hurting fuel economy (much like the wing on the back of the race car) however if I don't use full tabs she won't plane at all and if I reduce them when cruising she just falls off the plane, the bow goes up and the stern digs in. Any ideas where I'm going wrong?

Bill Griffiths
El Presidente

pop-pop
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 01 February 2009 at 7:30am | IP Logged
griffo
That tree is a giant redwood.
         78" 251 Catalina       
Norm_Richards
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 01 February 2009 at 9:04am | IP Logged

Good Morning.. b'norm Here..(lol)

Upon concurrence from senior management, (Thank-you Sir Griffo), Sir "pop-pop" Phil Bristow has been inducted into our growing group as Honorary member H-3.

(Not that he had much of a choice in the matter..lol, but in appreciation for his contibutions to this group, he receives the very prestigeous title of being only the third honorary inductee, in the history of this group, ever appointed to Honorary status)

He also receives a free lifetime honorary membership plus an option to fly a Marathon flag, once produced, on his Chrissy vessel.. Now that is an honor!. So welcome Sir Phil.

And bringing in another Chrissy Owner into a Marathon Club??.. wow!!.. Like we did appoint Raymond.. with also a Chrissy...and even more strange (lol) is appointing Mikey  with a Sea Ray!!.. and like his is a modern one(1999)!! 

Like really??

(And we keep Bob as a member, even though he has a Carver but then, he also has a Marathon)..

Anyways, J/k, all in fun gentlemen.

So congratulations Phil.. We are grateful to have you as an honorary member #3. 

Just to clearify something for everyone: whether they understand it or not:

Being a part of this elite group reaches far beyond than just our vessels.. it is our cameraderie which sets us apart from all the other group forums.. And that is created by our members themselves.. not by our ships. (Sorry for being a bit sentimental again today (Griffo).. lol.. but I only speakith the truth.. 

So a good morning to you gentlemen (and a good afternoon to you Sir Griffiths).

PS: Phil, for our spreadsheet..

Dob... dd-MM-YY ?

Occupation? (Like just generically) like Disk jockey or hockey player or Photo editor(lo)..or writer.

Your vessel is a officially a: 1978 Chris-Craft Catalina Express Cruiser 251 ? right?

Engines/out-drive:? like fill or correct the blanks for me... TWIN? 5.0L, 8 Cyl, 225HP, Chris-Craft Marine Power , Inboard Direct Drive  or....?

Vessel name (I can't quite see it in your pictures)..

I think that I have everything else.. name, location, email, your own photo link,yup.. that's it.. if you would be so kind. Thanks Phil.

Until later:

Norm

Norm Richards

<< Prev Page of 109 Next >>