Boater's Connection

Subject
Topic: Marathon Boat Owners Group
silverfish65
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 16 April 2009 at 2:45pm | IP Logged
  Hello to all, THE MARATHON FLAGS HERE!!! THE MARATHON FLAGS HERE!!! GREAT JOB NORM!!! Mine will be on the boat tonight,however it probably wont make it on its maiden voyage until early fall or next spring."MARINATER"  is going to need some pretty extensive wood and fiberglass work to make her sea worthy.Norm boat measures 25' 4" transom to pulpit and has a 96" beam.Will be with everybody boating this season in spirit. Norm funds are are on the way sorry about the delay. 
Marlon
OldTownGal
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 16 April 2009 at 2:58pm | IP Logged

Monday will be the earliest we could contribute any boat measurements, we are booked solid here for a while

Edited by OldTownGal on 23 July 2009 at 8:54pm
Dianna Lynn
Marathon Boat Owner Group Member #20
pop-pop
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 16 April 2009 at 3:09pm | IP Logged

Must be 21 or older to view this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOmvdeNa67E
         78" 251 Catalina       
Bob David
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 16 April 2009 at 3:13pm | IP Logged
Phil, looks like some good ch!t.

Bob
Political Correctness is an idea fostered by a delusional,illogical liberal minority,promoted by an insane media,which supports the proposition that it is possible to pick up poop by the clean end.
MaverickGrabber
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 17 April 2009 at 2:42pm | IP Logged

put the boat in the water seems all is well ...and working as it should ..did not sink :) so on to carpet and seats

http://www.myspace.com/ohiovalleyvigilantes

http://www.myspace.com/maverickgrabber1972

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2634119
Norm_Richards
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 17 April 2009 at 9:19pm | IP Logged

Darryl is havn probs with his puter.. Hasn't been able to get on the forum.. but sent me an email earlier in the week...

Darryl the check arrived today.. Marked as paid in Full.

Thank-you Sir.

All that have not yet reported: please advise if you have received your flag(s). Thank-you.

Edited by Norm_Richards on 18 April 2009 at 12:36pm
Norm Richards
Marathon Boat Owners Group - Member #7
1989 Marathon Bermuda Sport 2550 "Vintage Haven"
Bob David
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 18 April 2009 at 12:17pm | IP Logged
All, we had a hit on the "other"board by a new Marathon owner. (link: http://www.boatus.com/boatgroups/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2 205&PN=1 ). I have emailed the member. Hopefully he will find his way here as I provided http://www.boatus.com/boatgroups/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2 205&PN=1 ) a link to our board here.

Bob
Edited by Bob David on 18 April 2009 at 12:34pm
Political Correctness is an idea fostered by a delusional,illogical liberal minority,promoted by an insane media,which supports the proposition that it is possible to pick up poop by the clean end.
Norm_Richards
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 18 April 2009 at 12:35pm | IP Logged

Yup Bill of Maine.... I responded to his post with the link to here...

Edited by Norm_Richards on 18 April 2009 at 12:35pm
Norm Richards
Bob David
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 18 April 2009 at 12:43pm | IP Logged
I did email him, Norm. An '89 Sunblazer. That would be a boat similar to yours?

I have company today and we are taking a lunch break for building a train layout for nursing home. Building the modules today, getting the foundation for the scenery and laying some track.

I have 10 guys using their knowledge, time, and labor to get it done. We've made really good progress since8am this morning. I'm not to sure the neighbors appreciated saws, routers, and nail guns at that hour though.

Anyway, lunch, on the grill of course, is almost done. Time to feed the tapeworm.

Bob
Norm_Richards
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 18 April 2009 at 8:14pm | IP Logged

Maine has the same yr but different model..

Sir Mac's vessel from Maine would be the same model like the Sunblazers 2350 and 2400 (Depending on year) of the members in our group: Bill Griffo's/88, Bob N's/xx, Johnny D's/86, Melissa's/87, Jorge's/86, Marlon's/88 and Dianna's/87.

Have fun waking up the neighbours with the saws n stuff!! doin' the train thing.!.. (and good eats too: giving the tapeworm some nutrition).

Norm Richards
Leatherlung
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 19 April 2009 at 4:01pm | IP Logged

Hello,

Norm, I just sent the money via paypal. Let me know if it's not enough. Thanks for your hard work.

Jorge

Jorge
ketchum kid
BoatUS Member
BoatUS Member
Posted: 19 April 2009 at 4:46pm | IP Logged
Norm, Just got back from the Jimmy Buffett concert in Frisco Texas. The MBOG flag was in the mail. Thanks
"If the course is hard, still steer."
Cobalt 272
melinsc
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 19 April 2009 at 5:08pm | IP Logged
I have not gotten out to measure my boat again...... I want to try the... bow through the hatch then straight back to the transom...... someone on here suggested it, but am going to wait until I have little helpers.

Bill.... I think there is weather stripping under the edges of our engine hatch.  I think it is falling apart from age...... but it looks like foam adhesive weather stripping...... not sure how flame retardant it is !!!

KABOOM...... that was funny......

Mel
Melissa
Marathon Boat Owners Group - Member # 17
"Admiral of the Fleet"
OldTownGal
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 19 April 2009 at 6:50pm | IP Logged

Well fellow Marathoner's.....  it was a balmy 52-degrees today, with a wind-chill in the low 40's....  going down below freezing again tonight....  ughhhhhh

About measuring this sweetie....  The canvas camper is still dutifully attached to the boat, protecting her from rain, leaves, bird droppings, etc...  it attaches in the front to the center windshield also....  making it VERY difficult to get a proper measurement of her length at this time.

Edited by OldTownGal on 23 July 2009 at 8:56pm
Dianna Lynn
shomp67
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 19 April 2009 at 8:14pm | IP Logged

Norm,

Flag received yestiddy, very nice. Co-Captain said "kinda small though, ain't it?". I said we weren't flying warship flags here.

Mel, the hatchway measurement is the one i used.

Tracy

MBOG Member Lucky #13 - ATICA
Tinkering - Keeps the mind humming and the soul tuned up.
melinsc
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 19 April 2009 at 8:38pm | IP Logged
Tracy.... I thought so, but could not remember for sure.... and I did not have the time to go look back.....   I think it should work well..... as soon as the tarp comes off or at least gets loosened. 

Bill... looks like OTG 's engine compartment has a thick hard rubber to help seal it.... which is actually falling into the engine compartment in the picture above.  Yea, Yea...... I tried thinking of some other way to describe it ......really I did!! ....Seriously,  It looks like it might clamp around the edges. 

Mel

Melissa
Marathon Boat Owners Group - Member # 17
"Admiral of the Fleet"
griffo
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 20 April 2009 at 6:01am | IP Logged
Mel
my engine compartment has the same seal but it is totally useless and doesn't stop water getting in. I thought it had been fitted by a previous owner to try to cure the problem, but if Dianna has it maybe it is original. So maybe poor design, I might look at designing something more suitable.
Bill Griffiths
El Presidente
Marathon Boat Owners Group Member #2

griffo
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 20 April 2009 at 6:03am | IP Logged
Dianna

from your photo I see you have power steering the same as my boat.
Bill Griffiths
El Presidente
Marathon Boat Owners Group Member #2

deaddog
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 20 April 2009 at 7:38am | IP Logged

Norm received flags / very nice! / thank you

Computer has been down since Friday / quick post / I have a lot of work to do………..

Christopher Grunder
Marathon Boat Owners Group Member #10
“Beer is living proof that God loves us”
Norm_Richards
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 20 April 2009 at 8:49am | IP Logged
Leatherlung wrote:

Hello,

Norm, I just sent the money via paypal. Let me know if it's not enough. Thanks for your hard work.

Jorge

Thanks for your email Jorge... glad you like the flag.. Got the Paypal.. and yes it is enough Jorge.

And keep catching those big fish for our Mbog fish fry that we're havin' in Atlanta..

Norm Richards
Norm_Richards
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 20 April 2009 at 8:50am | IP Logged

ketchum kid wrote:
Norm, Just got back from the Jimmy Buffett concert in Frisco Texas. The MBOG flag was in the mail. Thanks  

Glad you got it Steve, The postal system and all those mailmen are doing some fine work on the MBOG Flag deliveries... 

Norm Richards
Norm_Richards
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 20 April 2009 at 8:54am | IP Logged
OldTownGal wrote:

I spent a while cleaning up the engine & compartment area today.  Breaks my heart to see rusty bolts, etc    

Black Tremclad heat resistant spray paint does wonders on covering up the rust and preventing further brown/orangeness.

Norm Richards
Norm_Richards
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 20 April 2009 at 8:57am | IP Logged
shomp67 wrote:

Norm, Flag received yestiddy, very nice. Co-Captain said "kinda small though, ain't it?". I said we weren't flying warship flags here.

Tracy  

lol Tracy.. it is only 10x15.. we don't have the Love boat.. well.. figuratively speaking.. lol... The queen was between the flags.. for your grandson..  

Norm Richards
Norm_Richards
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 20 April 2009 at 9:14am | IP Logged

griffo wrote:

My engine compartment has the same seal but it is totally useless and doesn't stop water getting in. I thought it had been fitted by a previous owner to try to cure the problem, but if Dianna has it maybe it is original. So maybe poor design, I might look at designing something more suitable.

Yup.. it is a rubber seal (@ 3/4 " thick) which has grooves to slides over the sides of the opening.. mine was also falling off a bit but still had enough elasticity to slide back on to the opening grooves and it holds.

This rubber forms the padded edging that the removable door sits on - which prevents the removable door from rattling and because of the heavy height of the cover, forms a seal of the door to prevent any exhaust from rising into the cockpit: and any fumes are exhausted out the vents: at slow speed using the blower.. and using the wind at higher speeds..

The actual engine cover is so frign' heavy.. It has @ 1 inch of padding covered by heat/flame retardent foil material on the bottom side... The padding insulates noise..and the heat/flame retardent material is suppose to prevent heat/flames into the cockpit from the engine... (It seems to work ok under normal operation but fat chance if the motor blows up).

I'll take pics when I get there and unseal the boat.

Norm Richards
Norm_Richards
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 20 April 2009 at 9:19am | IP Logged
deaddog wrote:

Norm received flags / very nice! / thank you

Computer has been down since Friday / quick post / I have a lot of work to do………..  

You got the flags.. Good...!! They turned out ok.. makes a stand out bow flag... Hope your order was correct Sir!!.. and  Welcome Back Sir Grunder.. I was wondering what happened to you!!.

Norm Richards
Norm_Richards
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 20 April 2009 at 9:33am | IP Logged

Ok.. Flag Status:

All recipients who had requested flags have reported receiving their package except for:

#11 Jerry, #14 Steve S, #15 Darryl - Please report guys.

And most paym't have been received, just a couple outstanding. 

Reminder (which I'll post from time to time): there are still a few Mbog flags available on 1st come 1st served basis.  

Well all, our MBOG Flag adventure has been a very successful project - from its inception to the actual completion and delivery. Just a few items to close off and it will be wrapped up. 

A sincere thanks to all for helping us create our Marathon Boat Owners Group Flag.

Edited by Norm_Richards on 20 April 2009 at 9:52am
Norm Richards
whmmer
BoatUS Member
BoatUS Member
Posted: 20 April 2009 at 9:59am | IP Logged
Norm,

Since we have the graphic from the flags in good order, maybe we should look into shirts or jackets? The Commander-in-Chief never saw a nautical hoody she didn't like.

Jim

Member # 4 Liquid Asset
"B.O.A.T." - Break Out Another Thousand

Minister of Justice and Law
shrimper
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 20 April 2009 at 10:12am | IP Logged

Still waiting for flag delivery. I guess they slow on this side of SC.

Steve

OldTownGal
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 20 April 2009 at 10:14am | IP Logged

Everything on this boat is original as far as I know

Yes Norm, the engine cover weighs aLOT! 

I have saved the name you gave for the spray paint, I wanna make it look pretty AND prevent any future rusting.

Edited by OldTownGal on 23 July 2009 at 8:58pm
Dianna Lynn
deaddog
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 20 April 2009 at 10:42am | IP Logged

OldTownGal wrote:
I have saved the name you gave for the spray paint, I wanna make it look pretty AND prevent further rusting.  

Just Saying………

Photobucket" border="0" />

Christopher Grunder
Marathon Boat Owners Group Member #10
“Beer is living proof that God loves us”
Bob David
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 20 April 2009 at 10:57am | IP Logged
Dianna,

You will find that EVERYTHING on our boat is custom made and fit. Having a small woodworking shop is DEFINITELY a plus.

I remanufactured a bunch of my wood trim. Having a table saw, radial arm saw, router and table, and a drill press came in pretty handy as did the power miter saw.

I bought the teak at a regional store(Menards) here. Hard to find locally and online. The shipping was pretty high if I'd ordered it online, as I recall. I used 1x2's, 1x3's and 2x2's. Also, inside and outside corner trim, 1/4 round, and batten.

You can get the engine cowl seals and trim online. I will try to find the site I purchased my replacements. It came in rolls of 25', I think. I had a lot of waste. Hatch seal can also be purchased. I'm still looking for the "I" shaped window seal.

Bob
Edited by Bob David on 20 April 2009 at 11:08am
Norm_Richards
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 20 April 2009 at 11:05am | IP Logged
shrimper wrote:

Still waiting for flag delivery. I guess they slow on this side of SC. Steve  

Must be slow on that side Sir... Old postmen with rikety old legs perhaps? Or I got your addy wrong.. but I don't think so... I sent to where you told me... with Grace, in Greenwood, right?

Norm Richards
Norm_Richards
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 20 April 2009 at 11:12am | IP Logged

whmmer wrote:
Norm,

Since we have the graphic from the flags in good order, maybe we should look into shirts or jackets? The Commander-in-Chief never saw a nautical hoody she didn't like. Jim  

lol.. MBOG Jackets or Hoody's, and Tee for those real hot dayz... and hat with the matching circular MBOG crest.. lol.. 

If we get enough promotional stuff done.. we could open a MBOG clothing store outlet.

Norm Richards
Norm_Richards
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 20 April 2009 at 2:07pm | IP Logged

Sir Bill.... Your envelope arrived in the mail today.. no issues depositing.... Thank-you Bill.

Btw: The attached poetic document.. well done Bill.. your outstanding poetic abilities on behalf of the MBOG, Sir Griffiths.. and I think that you should post it on the forum.

Norm Richards
mikey4241
BoatUS Member
BoatUS Member
Posted: 20 April 2009 at 2:19pm | IP Logged
Phil--
Funny stuff, man!

OTG--
At first I thought that piece looked more like a protective edging strip for the lip of the engine compartment, not a seal--but Norm says it is a seal and I'll take his word on just about anything! (lol) If you can find it, "Gorilla" brand super glue should work great. It's made by the gorilla glue & tape people but unlike conventional products, this is rubberized so it retains a little bit of flexibility while still holding strong. Also, for your sticking seat problem--I found a product that's made up in Norm's neck of the woods called "jig-a-loo". (You other clowns keep the comments about jigs or loos to yourselves). The stuff is great! Works as a lube or mdl on just about any surface. I had sticky canvas zippers--one blast of the stuff took care of it--no running, staining, etc. Should be able to find it at any hardware store.

As to the measuring issue--
For those of you "on the hard" (figure I should clarify--on trailers or keel-blocks/jackstands) ---drop a plumb line (string with a weight) from the points you want to measure between to the ground, stretch your tape and you're there.
If you're floating that won't work well!! (Had to put that disclaimer in or Bill would get all wet trying!! jk lol

Glad to hear the flag project (delivery phase) is going well---
People, if you owe, pay up! Norm did such an outstanding job on this that it would be a damn shame to tank it over one or two people. You made a commitment--please follow through!

Mike
#H-1
==Safe Boating==
==Mikey4241==
=='99 SeaRay 290 Sundancer==
==Remember the "343"==
Norm_Richards
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 20 April 2009 at 3:20pm | IP Logged

http://www.jigaloo.com/ca/e_home.php

Edited by Norm_Richards on 20 April 2009 at 3:23pm
Norm Richards
OldTownGal
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 20 April 2009 at 4:07pm | IP Logged
ummm, norm....  what's up with the bloomers posted in your 'specials' album?  keeping something from us here??   lol
Dianna Lynn
Norm_Richards
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 20 April 2009 at 4:33pm | IP Logged

They were Bob's bloomers... he had a special purpose for them...  Oh Bob?, can you tell OT about the bloomers? I think it was back @ page 17-30? or so lol.. but below you'll see Sir Bob of bloomers.. One of the early flag ideas...  lol...

Marathon - set 1 - Bob David1 Bloomers

nbrich1 > albums > Flags - Set 1

All we can say is DOH!!.. The idea didn't quite catch on for the group flag!.

Edited by Norm_Richards on 20 April 2009 at 4:34pm
Norm Richards
MaverickGrabber
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 20 April 2009 at 8:19pm | IP Logged

1st time back in the water in over 4 years

http://www.myspace.com/ohiovalleyvigilantes

http://www.myspace.com/maverickgrabber1972

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2634119