Boater's Connection

Subject
Topic: Marathon Boat Owners Group
RWHITE1948
BoatUS Member
BoatUS Member
Posted: 11 June 2010 at 1:54pm | IP Logged
Well I am not sure as to how the prom got damaged, but it was that way when I bought the boat. 
Bob David
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 11 June 2010 at 3:47pm | IP Logged
It is hurt that's fer shur...... Put it in neutral and turn the prop by hand to see if the shaft is bent. Hopefully it is NOT. It will be rather obvious if it is.

Welcome to the thrill of being broke cuz all of yer money is in the boat. One good thing, if you lose the house, you can live on the boat. Kinda hard to take the house out on the lake though.

Jim said it best, B.O.A.T(Break Out Another Thousand). And sometimes even that isn't enough. lol

Bob
Political Correctness is an idea fostered by a delusional,illogical liberal minority,promoted by an insane media,which supports the proposition that it is possible to pick up poop by the clean end.
RWHITE1948
BoatUS Member
BoatUS Member
Posted: 11 June 2010 at 8:27pm | IP Logged
Well I got to get the bottom painted, trim restained,new battery, new prop, than I think about putting it in the water.That might be late this summer or fall, but I will have her in the water where she belongs.
Bob David
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 12 June 2010 at 5:05am | IP Logged
I said the same thing two seasons ago. I kept find things I wanted to upgrade, fix, add....... Now, my 1985 21-foot boat is as modern as any new boat on the water. The finish is in sight.

But, having another boat surely slowed my progress. No need to hurry to get the job(s) done. If the Marathon was my ONLY boat, it probably would have been in the water the first year. And I am a bit of a perfectionist. Almost anal in that regard. That doesn't help matters much.

Bob
Political Correctness is an idea fostered by a delusional,illogical liberal minority,promoted by an insane media,which supports the proposition that it is possible to pick up poop by the clean end.
RWHITE1948
BoatUS Member
BoatUS Member
Posted: 12 June 2010 at 5:24am | IP Logged

Hi Bob, I put her in neutral and spun the prop. It moves freely in both directions, but there is a clicking sound while it is spinning. the clicking sound is louder in clockwise rotation than counter-clockwise. I did not notice any wobble while spinning.

Ronald

Bob David
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 12 June 2010 at 6:38am | IP Logged
I'd worry about the wobble, but since you have none, no worry.. I don't recall mine "clicking" but I'm deaf due to too much Led Zepplin in my youth. Maybe someone else may have some input there. Possibly Bill. He's worked on his outdrive before, too. I would think as long as as it move freely, doesn't wobble, and the clicking isn't a "knocking" sound, you'd be good to go.

I rebuilt my outdrive, but as I said, I don't remember, or better, couldn't hear, a "clicking" sound.

Bob
RWHITE1948
BoatUS Member
BoatUS Member
Posted: 12 June 2010 at 11:36am | IP Logged

Well Bob were both in the same boat, (pardon the pun,LOL) I am nearly deaf myself in fact I just got my new hearing aids yesterday, but I was born with a hearing loss that has grown worse with age and at 61 I am getting old. If I am lucky maybe I will out live my ears LOL. I am back to sanding the swim platform today, had to stop for awhile because the backing pad on my 5" random orbit sander ripped of and I had to run up to home depot to git a replacement. Does anyone know if the 2350 is wired for 220 volts AC or maybe 440 AC? That sure isn't a 110 plug on the side of my boat. Don't know why it would be of such high voltage unless appliances back in the early 80's pulled a lot of electricty. Thge plugs in the boat itself are 110 V AC.

Ronald

MaverickGrabber
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 12 June 2010 at 12:51pm | IP Logged
RWHITE1948 wrote:

. Does anyone know if the 2350 is wired for 220 volts AC or maybe 440 AC? That sure isn't a 110 plug on the side of my boat. Don't know why it would be of such high voltage unless appliances back in the early 80's pulled a lot of electricty. Thge plugs in the boat itself are 110 V AC.

Ronald

the main plug is 110v they look like a 220v plug but there not you can use a 220plug on end of a cord to hook up to the back of the boat ...........there 110v -20amp or 30amp
http://www.myspace.com/ohiovalleyvigilantes

http://www.myspace.com/maverickgrabber1972

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2634119
mikey4241
BoatUS Member
BoatUS Member
Posted: 12 June 2010 at 2:07pm | IP Logged
Bob David wrote:
I said the same thing two seasons ago. I kept find things I wanted to upgrade, fix, add....... Now, my 1985 21-foot boat is as modern as any new boat on the water. The finish is in sight.

But, having another boat surely slowed my progress. No need to hurry to get the job(s) done. If the Marathon was my ONLY boat, it probably would have been in the water the first year. And I am a bit of a perfectionist. Almost anal in that regard. That doesn't help matters much.

Bob

Hey Bob---is that the story you want to stick with??  I was thinking less time spent in the power tool ER would have been a more valid excuse!

Hello Ronald--and welcome to the insanity (meaning both this forum as well as the world of boating). I think you'll find the folks here to be very helpful and a lot of fun.
As to the "clicking" noise in your drive, I'm just not sure--clicking to one person is clunking to the next--one thing you might try is to put a set of "muffs" on the water intake and actually run the engine and the drive--idle speed only!--so you can actually see what's going on.
With respect to your power connection, as Mav said, it would not be 220 and definitely not 440. Those voltages are only found on much larger vessels. The reason the connector looks different is because it is a "Shore Power Connector". It is a twist-lock style fitting with a sealing collar. These help keep the connection from coming loose and help keep out moisture.
Check West Marine's catalog for some fairly good info on the subject. Also, don't cheat or "cheap it" by trying to use a conventional extension cord with an adapter. Unless it is very heavy gauge wire (preferably 10 or better), it won't handle the current load and the potential voltage drop could damage equipment on the boat.

Congratulations on your new acquisition and try not to get too frustrated too early!! It usually all works out in the end.

Mike
#H-1
==Safe Boating==
==Mikey4241==
=='99 SeaRay 290 Sundancer==
==Remember the "343"==
johnny d
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 12 June 2010 at 2:39pm | IP Logged

Hi there all you MBOGs, Johnny d here. VERY IMPORTANT!!! Do NOT connect to 220 volts!!! You will have an almost immediate electrical boat fire and that will be the end of your season! That is indeed a shore power socket and it is designed that way because your boats electrical is polarity sensitive and that is to prevent reverse polarity. I belive that it has something to do with the battery charging circut.

as to the (clicking noise) it is most likely a bearing with a chip in it. If it gets noticeably worse you had best have the out drive serviced. Might try changing the O/D oil and inspect what comes out.

RWHITE1948
BoatUS Member
BoatUS Member
Posted: 12 June 2010 at 3:17pm | IP Logged

Thanks for the info from everybody. I have never seen a 110 volt plug that looked like a 220 or 440 plug before.Live and learn I guess. the stern drive was (supposed) to have been replaced in 2007, but when I bought the boat the prop was damaged. The person that I bought the boat from has a boat service yard and was selling the boat for another person and did not know how the prop was damaged and said nothing about possible damage to the lower drive. So I guess when I get the new prop, which I think will be SS prop, I will get the lower drive checked out as well just to make sure. If the lower drive is damaged, what kind of money are we talking about?

Ronald

MaverickGrabber
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 12 June 2010 at 3:31pm | IP Logged
in gear one way it locks and wont turn and the other it will click ...i
http://www.myspace.com/ohiovalleyvigilantes

http://www.myspace.com/maverickgrabber1972

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2634119
DOLFV
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 12 June 2010 at 3:42pm | IP Logged

Hi everybody,

Nice to see messages from you guy's again.

Took my boat out today for the first time this year on the St Johns river here in New Brunswick,  was the only one on the river.

Boat runs smooth.  I hope to use it a little more this year.

Bought it last year at the end of August and only took it out ones.

Still a bit nervous with docking and putting the boat on the trailer.  But got it done. Luckely there was not to much current in the river.

I guess the more I do it , the easier it gets.

Have a great boating weekend everybody.

Dolf.

ketchum kid
BoatUS Member
BoatUS Member
Posted: 12 June 2010 at 6:00pm | IP Logged
RWhite, less than 8000 dollars. The clicking when rotated is normal though, as Maverick said, in gear it should not be able to turn one way, and click when turned the other way, and turn both directions with some clicking in neutral. If the prop shaft is bent, you will feel a definite "hard spot" when rotating the prop. And please do yourself a favor and get a real shorepower cord, don't mess with homemade stuff. Water and rain and electricity and feet and hands and friends and family don't mix.ZZZZZZZZAAPPPPP! Be safe. good to have you on the forum.
"If the course is hard, still steer."
Cobalt 272
RWHITE1948
BoatUS Member
BoatUS Member
Posted: 12 June 2010 at 6:56pm | IP Logged

I will get up front on the boat Sunday and put the gear shift in forward and check the prop then I will let you guys know what I have found. Mike I have heard about purtting Muffs on the boats motor intake but I have no idea how to do that nor do I know where around here to get the equipment to do it. Ketchum Kid you can count on the fact that I will get the proper ShorePower cord for the  boat. Just finished sanding the swim platform just about 10 minutes ago. I will try to stain it Sunday. Never a dull moment around here. LOL

Ronald

mikey4241
BoatUS Member
BoatUS Member
Posted: 13 June 2010 at 1:34pm | IP Logged
Hi Ron--

West Marine can help you with both the shore power cords and any adapters you might need or want. Likewise with the "muffs" concerns that you have. There is a sequence to doing the muffs properly and I've found that an in-line shutoff valve right at the muffs works great!

Keep us posted.

By-the-bye fellow MBOG'ers--I finally got my "hole in the water" launched this past Thursday. Why so late you ask? When I feel like doing a "Norm-style" post I'll explain everything to all. Right now, got to get going to the air show--Blue Angels are in town--Super Cool!!!!!

Mike
#H-1
==Safe Boating==
==Mikey4241==
==Remember the "343"==
RWHITE1948
BoatUS Member
BoatUS Member
Posted: 13 June 2010 at 4:10pm | IP Logged

Mike your right about the BLUE ANGLES, they are super cool. Seen them many timesa and they always put on a good show.

MaverickGrabber, it is just like you say. I put it in forward gear and it locks in one direction and turns in the other direction but clicks.However it is much harder to turn than when its in neutral .

I finished staining the bottom of the pulpit and the swim platform today. The heat is killing me though. it is 95 degrees here in Nashville today with very little breeze to cool you down. so now that I got the staining done I am going stay indoors for the rest of the day and stay cool.

Ronald

RWHITE1948
BoatUS Member
BoatUS Member
Posted: 24 June 2010 at 11:01am | IP Logged

Hi gang, had to stop work on my boat and fix up my porch, it is a lot bigger job than I though it would be. First I had two columns that were rotted at the bottom and had to be replaced. So  I jacked up the porch and removed the two columns and replaced them with new columns, but since the column widths are a little wider than the columns that I removed, I realized that the railings were going to have to be redone too. So I did that. Than I had to replace the staircase railings because the railing over the years were beginning to warp badly. The right side went alright but when I started on the left side the railing post that goes into the ground snapped off at ground level, seems it had dry rotted after being in the ground for 20 years. So off I went to find a new post.It soon became apparent that after 20 years no one made post Like I had anymore. I was looking at redoing all the work that I had already done on the staircase project because I could not have two different post on the staircase, that would have looked strange.My post were 3.5 inches by 3.5 inches all they make now are 4 X 4 or 6 X 6 post so I got the idea of buying A hollow Vinyl post cutting off the dry rot off the post than putting my old post inside the vinyl post putting it back in the ground and problem solved. I am working on that now. First I drilled four 1 foot holes in the bottom of my old post than inserted four steel rods into the old post. take the new hollow post put it into the ground where it is supposed to go, pore concrete into the hollow post. Insert the old post with its four rods into the concrete, adjusting the post so it was the same height as the other post than poring the remaining concrete around the hollow post to set it. now maybe I can get back to my boat.

Ronald

Viking Vern
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 25 June 2010 at 5:10pm | IP Logged

Greeting Fellow MBOGs (Pirates):

Missed a few beats there, I did, and had to scroll though lots of updates. Lots of news coming through.

Hope there are good efforts under way in the Viking Fishing Challenge. I have, unfortunately, not been on the water yet. Just about the time I was ready to float the boat, it had problems to be fixed. The starter is one; the cooling system is the other. Neither project has been started yet until necessary parts can be collected.

I would like to get on the water shortly so I can actually spend some time on the waves with fishing rod in hand. We'll see what happens. My friendly neighborhood oncologist delivered the bad news the cancer is back. I have a referral to a lymphoma expert at Fox Chase for next week, and I'll have some idea at least of the options available at this juncture. I'll keep you posted on the states of health for A. boat, B. fishing efforts, and C. my body. The most vital at this point are A & B. I do have some control over those areas.

Keep on boating and enjoy the fun in the sun! I'm with you all in spirit and am looking forward to all your postings.

-Viking Vern

RWHITE1948
BoatUS Member
BoatUS Member
Posted: 25 June 2010 at 7:48pm | IP Logged

Hang in there Viking Vern, We Fellow MBOG's will be sending prayers and gopod thoughts your way that you will fix problems A, B, and C and soon.

Ronald

ketchum kid
BoatUS Member
BoatUS Member
Posted: 26 June 2010 at 11:18am | IP Logged
Vern, get the boat repaired and go fishing. We are with you in spirit and thoughts. Keep us posted on progress in ALL areas, and best of luck. Givem Hell. Vikings Rule.
Cobalt 272
froolap
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 26 June 2010 at 3:08pm | IP Logged
Viking Vern wrote:

oncologist delivered the bad news the cancer is back. I have a referral to a lymphoma expert at Fox Chase for next week, and I'll have some idea at least of the options available at this juncture.

-Viking Vern

Vern, I have some information that may be important to you.  You should at the least research this.  When I was growing up my next door neighbor and my brother's friend's dad were both diagnosed with throat cancer at the same time.  They were both told they would require surgery and were both given 6 months to live.  My next door neighbor decided to look into alternative treatments and found out about Laetrile, which is not approved in the USA.  My brother's friend's dad was an optomitrist and decided not to do anything not approved by the food and drug administration.  My brother's friend's dad died within the 6 months given him.  My neighbor persued the Laetrile treatments in mexico.  He did NOT have the surgery which would have removed his tongue.  When he came home, he had lost a lot of weight, but the cancer was cured.  In the 10 years that they remained our neighbors, the cancer never returned.  Being a cancer survivor myself, I know that if the cancer doesn't return in 5 years then your chances of getting that same type of cancer again are about the same as for anyone else.  Here is a URL that might help you in starting your research.  While *I* didn't take the laetrile treatments.... the surgery in my case was good enough.  From watching what happened with my neighbor compaired to my brother's friend's dad, I would have to recommend that laetrile seems a viable solution.  I wish you the best.
http://www.cancer.org/docroot/ETO/content/ETO_5_3X_Laetrile. asp?sitearea=ETO

Edited by froolap on 26 June 2010 at 3:09pm

It's still dry but at least I can dream.
Viking Vern
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 27 June 2010 at 1:50pm | IP Logged

Thanks for the good wishes and the drug info, guys. Have lots of projects ahead, especially in the quest for pulling in the prize-winning fish.

-Viking Vern

oakme2
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 27 June 2010 at 8:46pm | IP Logged
OK, one more marathon just showed up. I am a newbie here. I really dont know what model I have. It says 21 feet on the title, with no other info. I bought the boat 5 years ago for $1000, with a galvanized trailer. I decided to get it going, as it has just been stored. It has a Volvo AQ231B drive, and I discovered the block was cracked. I pulled the engine out a few months ago and I bought another block, and the motor is ready to go back in. The motor is slightly modified. I used a newer model block with a roller cam to reduce friction, also installed a slightly larger cam, and made a few small performance improvements, it should have about 260 HP. I just need to check out the drive, ujoints, and bellows and I am going to do this before I install the engine.

I would like to ID the boat to see what model it is, and find any technical info on it I can. I do all my own work, and I could really use some wiring info, and other info on the water and fuel tanks and their plumbing. I found a pic on the net that looks exactly like my boat and I think it belonged to someone on this Messageboard. I will post the pic if I can figure out how.

I will get some pics of my boat and follow up. It is in pertty good shape, and is a work in progress.

It has a different paint scheme, and I guess it is a weekender 2100 from the title of the picture below. My boat is an 88 model. It looks like one in a picture here on this message board it is titled Bob David's Boat - 1985 Marathon Weekender 2100 - "Angela Rose"
ketchum kid
BoatUS Member
BoatUS Member
Posted: 28 June 2010 at 9:27am | IP Logged
Hello Oakme2, welcome to the group of Marathoniacs.
Cobalt 272
Norm_Richards
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 28 June 2010 at 10:08am | IP Logged

This page 87 of the MBOG forum offers a greeting and welcome backs to a few more of our members... Ronald our 41st member), and our more senior members: Sir Bob (of course), Sir Steven of Ketchem, Johnny Robert of D, David of Maverick, Dolf,  Mikey, and to our Vern: Welcome. (Vern our continued thoughts & prayers are with you Sir.)

Also appearing on this page.. for the very 1st time is Oakme(2). Welcome to our Marathon Boat Owners Group “Sir Oak”. Sounds like you are already going to town on your vessel in the huge undertaking of an engine rebuild etc. 

For most years, Marathon had various models.. but each basically the same from year to year. So if it looks identical to a Weekender, it just might be a Weekender. Oak, take a peek at the HIN - (on the right side of the transom): The last two digits of that HIN are the year that the boat is manufactured. Also take a look a page 58: which has an original (scan) of the Marathon models brochure from 1986. 

Pictures are worth 1000+ words and member information & vessel information is important to us here. If you want Oak, just send me an email with some more detailed Oak information (for the Forum version of our members list on page 84 and you can also attach some pictures of that boat of yours and I can upload them and post them on the forum page, as well as post one in our members “Picture Collage of vessels” which appears Page 52 of the forum. (My Email is norm_richards@hotmail.com)

For the records, Oak is the 42nd Marathon member to appear in this forum.

Like you have 87 pages of MBOG forum stuff to read and view Sir! There is lottsa info about… almost everything in here. In addition: we have put together a few volumes of Marathon Reference information which contains all of the stuff pertaining to the beginning of Marathon, this group and its members. (It is only sent out by email). So Email me “Oak” and I’ll get it off to you. Again a cordial welcome to this group: the motley crew of Marathoners.

Below is the (brief)? procedure to post a picture: (To post: find a (free) picture posting site like webshots or flickr and upload your pictures there then post the forum code for the picture in the forum and hopefully the picture will show up here.

Free Need an onlinehosting site... (I use webshots.com- It has the most personal capacity).. (and it’s Free)...

1) create a free account.. (Usercode & password)

2) Upload your pics.. (Upload button)

3) Create an album.. and upload your pics into the online album. 

4)  After uploading, and when you select a picture, webshots gives you a code button to generate code for picture displays and various sizes to display in the following:

a) code to display In a post in your blog or website

b) code to provide A direct link to an image/picture

c) code to post the picture in a forum <<< That's the code for the forum.

After size of pic 100 pixels thru 600 pixels is selected/chosen and you know what type of code you need to use, (IE: post in a forum), You just copy the code (Text format) (CTRL C) from that box and paste it (CTRL V) as is into a forum post (ie: a post in the MBOG forum).

In our forum post, just (CTRL V) or paste the code in, and after you hit PostReply, and when you see the completed post, it will show your picture.. 

From Webshots:

by © nbrich1

·  <>

Post This Photo...

Preview this size: 600 pixels

• post in your blog or website
  • direct link to image <  
  • post in a forum<    <<<<<<<< (Copy this code.. and place it (as is) into the forum post

My webshots id is nbrich1.. Lots of MBOG albums and lottsa pics of our Marathon stuff in there.. (You can also just hit my www button on the bottom of this post and it will take you to my webshots.). I find webshots fairly easy to use, has lottsa capacity.. and is FREE to use.  

(My Boat is in the water.. and has run @ 12 miles without issue..).. Ah, annual vacation is coming in the next couple of weeks so hope to be out on the water as much as possible. 

Again Welcome aboard “Oak” of tree 2 and a cordial welcome back to our members et their vessels.

Edited by Norm_Richards on 28 June 2010 at 10:09am
Norm Richards
Marathon Boat Owners Group - Member #7
1989 Marathon Bermuda Sport 2550 "Vintage Haven"
RWHITE1948
BoatUS Member
BoatUS Member
Posted: 28 June 2010 at 1:56pm | IP Logged

Good to see your boat in the water Norm, now if I can just get mine in the water. LOL

Ronald

DantheMan
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 28 June 2010 at 10:03pm | IP Logged
Ok this might sound impossible but I what to get rid of spiders inside my boat my wife can't stand them and she has always been my boating partner. The little ones aren't to bad she can put up with them but this evening we went out on boat for BBQ and beer and we were sitting down below and she became speechless and if you new my wife that doesn't happen all she could do was point with a shaky hand I thought maybe spider on me so I stood up and brushed myself off and she was still just pointing at me so I turned around and there was the biggest dock spider I have ever seen and I have been on the water a long time it must have been 4 inches across well her boating days are done unless I can find a way to fumigate the boat. Any ideas 
Bob David
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 28 June 2010 at 10:09pm | IP Logged
There are sprays that kill spiders. Might be kinda hard getting to the ones in the bilge though. It's available at most home improvement stores, Lowe's, Home Depot, even WalMart. I think it's made by Black Flag.....

Bob
ketchum kid
BoatUS Member
BoatUS Member
Posted: 29 June 2010 at 8:10am | IP Logged
Where do you keep the boat when it's not in use?
Cobalt 272
Norm_Richards
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 29 June 2010 at 8:16am | IP Logged

Dan of the Riviera - Best product we have found is called "Spiderban".. (Made by CIL) Comes in a sprayer like Windex.. rids them little creatures and dem webs..

"Spiderban"

Norm Richards
Marathon Boat Owners Group - Member #7
1989 Marathon Bermuda Sport 2550 "Vintage Haven"
mikey4241
BoatUS Member
BoatUS Member
Posted: 30 June 2010 at 5:45pm | IP Logged
Dan--another very effective product is called Spider Kill 2. It's available at West for about 10-12 bucks a bottle. The stuff is awesome!

Vern--I agree with Ron & the Kid: Get the boat in & go fishing! That other stuff will be there when you get back. Best of luck with your battle.

Mike
#H-1
==Safe Boating==
==Mikey4241==
==Remember the "343"==
RWHITE1948
BoatUS Member
BoatUS Member
Posted: 30 June 2010 at 7:07pm | IP Logged

I am very likely to try one of the products myself. I was on my boat yesterday and saw a couple of spiders and I am sure that there is a lot more of them that I didn't see.

Ronald

Bob David
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 30 June 2010 at 7:38pm | IP Logged
Well all, I may have come across the deal of the century. Well, maybe not the deal of the century, more like the last hour and a half.

Got an offer to trade up from my 1990 Carver 3207 to a 1999 Carver 406 for $25,000 and my boat. Bad deal is it's powered by Mercruiser Twin 7.4L. Not my idea of great power. I like my Commanders. We are heading "over the top" Friday to meet the guy in Petoskey and take a look at his boat.

The guy just wants a smaller boat. I'm a bit reluctant, but the better half wants a bigger boat. I don't think she realizes that "bigger boat equals more money for fuel". And though I have twin Commanders, I've installed things to make them quite miserly in the fuel consumption department.

We'll see.

Sorry to hear about the Big "C" rearing its ugly head again, Vern. Keepin' ya in our prayers here. I'd just say screw it, and go fishin' if'n I was you. You can't be bothered with such things when you've got a fishing contest to win....right?

Well all, the damned satellite has been acting up. I think we are about ready to lose our signal AGAIN (or is it STILL?). I keep losing signal and it's not on my end, had the system checked twice already this year. Even replaced all of the cables.

As always, May the waters be calm, the winds fair, and may the sun shine on all of your faces. And may the Witch of the water follow far behind in your wake. Stay safe and boat smart.

Bob
RWHITE1948
BoatUS Member
BoatUS Member
Posted: 01 July 2010 at 12:57pm | IP Logged
Well I got started back working on my boat yesterday.I had already stained the pulpit and swim platform two weeks ago and yesterday I put on the first coat of Helmsman spar urethane clear gloss and today i sanded down the first coat and put on a second coat. Should I put down a third coat or more on them ? I plan to go on the deck next and remove the trim and stain and put spar urethane on them as well. Every piece of wood on the Deck is a sun bleached gray
Bob David
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 01 July 2010 at 1:03pm | IP Logged
I put 6 coats on my swim platform and my pulpit last summer. Needs done again and the boat hasn't even seen water!!! UV is really tough on finishes.

Bob
RWHITE1948
BoatUS Member
BoatUS Member
Posted: 01 July 2010 at 1:31pm | IP Logged
Thanks Bob, than I'll put a few more coats on. What I really need is a boat cover, but covers for cruisers are not cheap to say the least.
Bob David
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 01 July 2010 at 2:20pm | IP Logged
My top, a camper style, and cover, serves as dock and road cover, together ran me just about $2500 including the new frame and hardware which is stainless steel and not aluminum(frame) or ABS(hardware). I've had to have the top redone/repaired twice due to storm damage.

This last time, I made a few changes for better visibility and circulation. Should be getting it soon. The guys have had the plan for a couple of months now, but I told them I was in no hurry. I guess they took me at my word.

The material I used is the same material that commercial businesses use for awnings. Lightweight and in a multitude of colors, a plethora in fact. And I used some new material, not vinyl, for the "windows" and a UV stable, "no-see-um" mesh for the screens.

I can honestly say, I have invested more money fixing up the Marathon than I have put into my Carver in all of the years I've owned that boat. And the Marathon STILL isn't in the water. It really wasn't in that bad of shape, I just wanted to update it, add a few creature features, and make it "purty". Bad mistake, maybe, but she'll be as modern and up to date as any new boat on the water. I'll never get out of it what I have in it, but it has its purpose and will surely be welcome when it does get wet. Sometimes the Carver is just too big for some activities, and the "Knocker"(my 14-foot aluminum fishing boat) well...it's a fishing boat not intended for big water. Add the old Chrissy, a restored wood hull "turtleback" is a parade boat. Kind of like owning a classic car, not something you take out every day.

Bob
ketchum kid
BoatUS Member
BoatUS Member
Posted: 01 July 2010 at 2:32pm | IP Logged
Bob, so many boats, so little time.
Cobalt 272
Bob David
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 01 July 2010 at 2:58pm | IP Logged
I've got the time, I just use it on other things. Maybe, one of these days.....

Bob

<< Prev Page of 109 Next >>