Boating With Pets

Subject
Topic: boarding large dog from fixed high dock
Darcy
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 31 May 2010 at 3:12pm | IP Logged
HELP!  We are stuck at a really nasty dock this season.  It's fixed, very high, super skinny, and we are introducing our 9 mo. old Bouvier to the boat.   He did fine jumping on and off from the end of the dock to the stern of the boat for a few times, then slipped once and now waits for my husband to hoist him off by his PFD handle.  Problem is he weighs 64 pounds and I can't do this maneuver.  We are looking for something like a little gangway we could attach to the dock and flip over so he can walk onto the bow.  Would be much easier and safer for all concerned.  Any ideas where I can find such a thing?  I've been looking but all are huge. 
Wakemaka
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 12 July 2010 at 8:27am | IP Logged
I bought a boogie board for my 100# dog and it works GREAT! A lot less
expensive than the bulky dog ramps and just as effective.
Darcy
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 12 July 2010 at 9:18am | IP Logged
Thanks for your idea about the boogie board.  I never would have thought one would be durable enough to hold a big dog, but since it works for you, I'll try it.  I really like the idea because it would be considerably wider than a lot of what is offered commercially for dogs.  Since I first wrote, our dog has grown so he's heavier now, but still under 100!
Great Bay
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 12 July 2010 at 8:55pm | IP Logged
In his younger days my Lab was game to jump/climb from anywhere. Now in his senior years, he'll wait patiently for me to pick him up! He's about 75#, I can't imagine dealing with a 100#
PascalG
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 13 July 2010 at 8:54am | IP Logged
my problem is other way around... low fixed dock!  at high tide, my marquipt stairs are almost vertical and my 120lbs American Bulldog can't climb them... he's pretty good now, and will climb, with some help up to near vertical (funny sight) but at full high tide, I have to lift him to shoulder height. 

not a lot of fun.  going to extend the stairs with a pedestal under them.

to get from a high dock, a ramp it your best bet... you can buy one of the fancy $1000 carbon fiber high tech models or with a little creativity you can make your own using aluminum hardware. 

Start with square tubing for the side, bolt in (SS with locknuts) some U-Channel for cross members to hold starboard planks.  shoudl be under $150 and a couple of hours of work
Pascal
Miami, FL
1970 Hatteras 53MY
Hobie 16
12' Westphal Catboat

Live Cel. helmcam at http://www.sandbarhopper.com
COOLshift
Forum Member
Forum Member
Posted: 21 December 2010 at 3:32pm | IP Logged

This is what we use for our boat when it is backed in (http://www.allthingsjeep.com/jeep-folding-pet-ramp.html).  It folds up, is plastic, has a grippy surface and the dogs love it!  We have a 65 lb. Belgian Malinoit and a 50ish lb. Chinese Shar Pei.

Edited by COOLshift on 21 December 2010 at 3:33pm
Have fun now...you only do this once...life isn't a dress rehearsal!
Dusty Rhoads
BoatUS Member
BoatUS Member
Posted: 22 December 2010 at 12:07pm | IP Logged
We had that ramp to put our Lab in the car, and it worked very well. It wouldn't be that hard to fashion a bimini type hardware to the end and use a push pin to attach. If you wish to see the attachment, it is at the end of the Marquipt steps that Pascal mentioned. We also have a set of those we use on the boat.
-- Moon River --

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register